John Clang Interview - ST Life! 25-06-2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John
Thank you for taking the time and interest in promoting photography in your home country, Singapore.

I do belive that many here, including some of your personal friends here, would like to meet you in person but missed it the last weekend. Do you have any plans to be at your show again? I'm sure more would go down at a timing when they know that you'll be there.

Cheers and thanks for the effort.

Yes now parents will send their kids to photography classes/schools so that they can make $300k a photograph. ;)

fat hope. while its nice to see the industry get fresh blood i'd rather see people who are passionate about it doing it then people who just do it for the money.

I have my personal thought on this which I think is interesting to share :)
The interviewer is a young, beautiful and intelligent lady who is not familiar with my work or art in general. She is no art critic or writer.
I'm fully aware that she is interested in my rags to riches story when I was asked about my income and my properties in NYC. Knowing that I have every right to reject those questions and focus on my art, I decided to go along and let my life be an open book for whatever she is interested to know.
Basically, I'm new to her as I 'm new to many other Singaporean.
Personally, I want to raise the awareness of contemporary photography in Singapore.
I allow myself to be the poster boy and be represented in any way the media wants as long it helps to spike the interest of the mass public, not just the niche group.
I do know all these unnecssary attention do nothing to my art career and can be damaging in some way too. But from the beginning, I know the main reason for me to have my exhibition in Singapore. It is to raise the awareness of contemporary photography in Singapore.
To do that, I strongly feel that I have to engage the mass audience who are non photographers as well.
This will be very useful to the generation after me who may be interested to pursue this route.
My life, my experience and my work will be a source of inspiration to these people.
For a young country like Singapore, public may have to expose to my life and my rags to riches story first. And then, hopefully, they get to see my work and be expose to that eventually. This is my aim and my sincere effort to contribute to my country fellow man :)
It will be a long journey but I'm confident it will get there. It will be very fulfiling to me mentally ;-)
Lovesss*Clang

Oh Lord, it’s hard to be humble. (song) It’s not morally wrong to be successful or rich, you’ve both! Isn't it great?
If you got it, show it, flaunt it, I do not see anything wrong about it.
It’s a dream come true for the love of art for you, making millions along the way is a big fat bonus.
It’s great for you to share your humble beginnings, your rags to riches story. You’re an inspiration to many pros or hobbyists turning pro.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There's nothing wrong with doing what the previous guy mentioned but the thing is that i may make people think that photography is a lucrative field. then anyone will try to get into it just for the money and not try to do anything positive for the field.

It's the MO of the nation's papers to glorify everything creative to entice people into the industry. It's the only way to gain a criticial mass to make singapore into a "creative hub". It's just that for every one john clang, there are many many more who don't make it, and the newspapers don't quite reflect that reality.

The days whereby Picasso and Van Gogh worked relentless on their passion despite their poor income were over. People are just too 'economic' nowadays.

Hi John
Thank you for taking the time and interest in promoting photography in your home country, Singapore.

I do belive that many here, including some of your personal friends here, would like to meet you in person but missed it the last weekend. Do you have any plans to be at your show again? I'm sure more would go down at a timing when they know that you'll be there.

Cheers and thanks for the effort.

John will be at the exhibition on 30th June from 1-3pm.

interview entitled 'colour of money'.

i was disappointed by the article's emphasis on his financial achievements. perhaps, the editor has directed michelle tay(reporter) to focus on this angle/thrust. but, the interview also revealed a 'weakness'. the photographer feeling insecure about his past financial background. totally understandable as we have our strengths and weaknesses too.

perhaps, michelle was half-disappointed that he did not asked to shoot her back. or plain back fetish by john. haha!

I agree with the goal that you want to raise more awareness of contemp photog in sg. Its a noble goal shows you want to give back to the community. I'll be by the exhibition on saturday and hope to talk with you if you're there and willing. also its interesting that you mention that the reporter in question is no critic or writer...did you think that she did her proper research before going for the interview?

A correction. What I meant was that the lovely reporter is not Art critic nor Art writer.
Her angle and perspective will naturally directed to what she thinks is an interesting story.
I have no problem with her and I do like her :)
Lovesss*Clang

interview entitled 'colour of money'.

i was disappointed by the article's emphasis on his financial achievements. perhaps, the editor has directed michelle tay(reporter) to focus on this angle/thrust. but, the interview also revealed a 'weakness'. the photographer feeling insecure about his past financial background. totally understandable as we have our strengths and weaknesses too.

perhaps, michelle was half-disappointed that he did not asked to shoot her back. or plain back fetish by john. haha!

That raise an interesting point for me :)
I have always stressed in several interviews that I don't carry camera around with me.
If something magical happens infront of me, I would rather sense/experience it with my entire body than trying to capture it with my camera.
It is important for me to feel the moment in the purest manner.
Her back is indeed beautiful, so is her :)
Lovesss*Clang

not messing up with the media, huh?

A correction. What I meant was that the lovely reporter is not Art critic nor Art writer.
Her angle and perspective will naturally directed to what she thinks is an interesting story.
I have no problem with her and I do like her :)
Lovesss*Clang

Success SELLS, men!

Success is materialism to many. Maybe success means happiness to some, but the vast majority of people wouldn't call someone who earns 10,000 a year successful even if he were the happiest man alive. The key to good journalism is relating the article to the reader's beliefs and notions, and nothing spells success to the largest audience like multi-million dollar flats in Manhattan.

poeple, anybody knows what is willy tang doing these days? retired? mind you, he was 'super hot' in his days.

The days whereby Picasso and Van Gogh worked relentless on their passion despite their poor income were over. People are just too 'economic' nowadays.

Don't blame today's people. Did Picasso and Van Gogh have to pay 7% more for everything they buy?!? ;(

poeple, anybody knows what is willy tang doing these days? retired? mind you, he was 'super hot' in his days.

Willie Tang now lives in Bangkok. He was and still is my Hero :)
*Clang

That raise an interesting point for me :)
I have always stressed in several interviews that I don't carry camera around with me.
If something magical happens infront of me, I would rather sense/experience it with my entire body than trying to capture it with my camera.
It is important for me to feel the moment in the purest manner.
Her back is indeed beautiful, so is her :)
Lovesss*Clang
To feel, rather to capture....

Hmm.... U know what Clang? I'll mull over these words.

I guess as a hobbyist the obsession with juz plain capturing of images eventually turns scenes into photos that would not stand the test of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.