John 3:16 - well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

juzthin

Apr 2, 2004
juzthin.no-ip.org
Just to share an experience today.

After work today, I went around looking for hoya uv filter and cir pl and to check out prices. I visited a shop in sim lim, some at penisula and finally John 3:16 at funan.

Maybe its because the items i wanna purchase didn't cost much, but generally all the stores quite bor chap me, talking to me with a "take it or leave it" kind of attitude. As there was a price discrepancy of the cir pl among all the stores, differing by $38 ($35 - $73), i merely wanted to ask more as to why and whether there was a difference in product.

2 stores quoted me a different price the second time i visited them. Some shop assistants walked away to serve other customer and another one even told me to purchase at the other stores. What "fantastic" service?!

Anyway, luckily, my last stop brighten me up a little. The guy treated me decently and explained to me the price fluatuation and stuff. Not too sure whether true or not but at least he bother lor. He was the only guy who made me feel like customer.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for the guy at John 3:16

Most definitely will buy things from there even though it might not be the cheapest around. They are definitely not the most expensive either. But hey, really, I don't mind paying a bit more for service. Would you?

juzthin said:

After work today, I went around looking for hoya uv filter and cir pl and to check out prices. I visited a shop in sim lim, some at penisula and finally John 3:16 at funan.

Maybe its because the items i wanna purchase didn't cost much, but generally all the stores quite bor chap me, talking to me with a "take it or leave it" kind of attitude. As there was a price discrepancy of the cir pl among all the stores, differing by $38 ($35 - $73), i merely wanted to ask more as to why and whether there was a difference in product.

2 stores quoted me a different price the second time i visited them. Some shop assistants walked away to serve other customer and another one even told me to purchase at the other stores. What "fantastic" service?!

Anyway, luckily, my last stop brighten me up a little. The guy treated me decently and explained to me the price fluatuation and stuff. Not too sure whether true or not but at least he bother lor. He was the only guy who made me feel like customer.

Most definitely will buy things from there even though it might not be the cheapest around. They are definitely not the most expensive either. But hey, really, I don't mind paying a bit more for service. Would you?

i would, provided the price premium is not too much. :)

All my filters were bought from them too :)

well they do give one of the bst after service around town. :cool: All my camera stuff was bought from there since 1994... wow tat was a long time... :bsmilie:

If you are willing to pay a fair price and good service, John is the one. For big-ticket items, unfortunately the difference may be a lot since he has a policy of minimum profit margin. Trust me, he rather loses a sale then to sell at a low margin. I get all my cheap items there and also to tok **** but when you need expensive stuff, it's still the rests.

juzthin said:

That is not exactly true of John 3:16. They can be really nice and friendly when no customers around. But try popping in during peak periods. They are no different from the other stores you mentioned.

xmen2003 said:
That is not exactly true of John 3:16. They can be really nice and friendly when no customers around. But try popping in during peak periods. They are no different from the other stores you mentioned.

I second his obeservation, if there are some customers (especially Regulars and Ang Moh) around, most new customers who are not born with golden or brown hair will feel like second class citizen. Similar to Cathay Photos, Alan Photos ... etc etc..... basically, all the same.

Does it mean that for us Asian Singaporeans we have to bleach our skin white, dye our hair blonde/brown/raven, spit with a foreign accent in order
to be provided good service by our local shops? This is all thanks to the P A P's emphasis of "Foreigner aka White Skin is always better" policy.

blurblock said:
I second his obeservation, if there are some customers (especially Regulars and Ang Moh) around, most new customers who are not born with golden or brown hair will feel like second class citizen. Similar to Cathay Photos, Alan Photos ... etc etc..... basically, all the same.

xmen2003 said:

I do not think so. They are basically very approachable people. They are willing to take time to explain the functions and features of cameras to you. If you were the one being served, would you like the person serving you to switch focus to another customer and leave you on the lurch... no right.... ;)

On the issue on ang mos... let's not go there lah... ;)

Adiemus said:
If you were the one being served, would you like the person serving you to switch focus to another customer and leave you on the lurch... no right.... ;)

There was exactly how I was treated there!

Look at i this way, people are there to earn a living. John 3:16 is open to make business. Of course during peak period you cannot expect them to give you 100% of their time right?

Yes, you may not like it when then they are serving u, they turn their attention on other people. I also do not like it but this is life.

Regarding them perfering serving ang moh or regulars, only comment I make is that there a lot of people who just go there asking a lot of questions and not buying anything. Put yourself in their shoes. Imagine if you are the owner and then people come, ask a lot of questions and then don't buy anything. How do you feel? This is a double edge thing. Cannot satisfy everyone....

Elizabeth Tan said:
Does it mean that for us Asian Singaporeans we have to bleach our skin white, dye our hair blonde/brown/raven, spit with a foreign accent in order
to be provided good service by our local shops? This is all thanks to the P A P's emphasis of "Foreigner aka White Skin is always better" policy.

May this serve as a gentle reminder.

Kindly keep this forum free of any postings that are politically slanted. Although we do respect your right to air your point of view, this isn't the place to do so.

I am sure if you take up this issue by writing into the Strait's Time Forum or a similar media, people might actually sit up and take notice of your concern. However, until then, please refrain from posting such comments here.

Thank you.

Personally, I went to John 316 before, and I find their services is good. There is this guy, Samuel, who always gives you this wide and friendly smile. That time, when he is not free to serve me, he told someone else to help me instead. Of coz, at peak period, I think they have to see who is the more interested party.

blurblock said:

Can't say that was my experience. I've only ever been there once and it wasn't even to buy something, on a slightly busy weekday evening. One of the guys at the counter who were serving other customers at least looked up, made eye contact and said 'hi'. That's all I ask really, acknowledge my presence and when you're free we can talk.....I'm sure all shops have their good and bad days.

IMO John 3:16 service is great!

Here's my story,

Think it was 2 years back when I've visited there to try a Sigma 50-500. Samuel brought out the lens and lended me a Dynax 7 and a tripod to test. After trying for about 10 mins and plenty of questions, he suggested that I should bring the setup (worth at least $2.5K) out of the shop to try it at the opening (middle of the shopping complex), and he never followed me out of the shop. I was like :bigeyes:.. I'm not even his regular customer, and probably had visited the shop once or twice to make inquiries.

In the end, he got my deal. :bsmilie:

The sales there usually serve customers like 'friend-friend lah', willing to take their time to explain the details and answer questions. Most of the time, I have to stand there 10-15 mins waiting (especially peak hours), and at times, I gave up and walked out of the shop without being attended. But that's their style.. haa.

(BTW, I'm not their regular customer and doesn't look rich either.. :bsmilie:)

generally very nice ppl at john 3:16, they work until 9 pm too! that is a great place to go cos most shops close around 7pm. ;)

Elizabeth Tan said:

most importantly, u must not speak SINGLISH!!!! hahahaha :bsmilie:

blurblock said:

i recall one experiences that i have to wait 1 1/2 hrs for Samson ( Son of Daddy of John3:16 ) at the shop, coz he is busy with customers. It was one of those saturday afternoon with lots of customer. I waited and eventually it is my turn.

The wait was worth it. I got a whole time of afternoon with Samson on camera parts i want to buy as well as other photographic information. Seriously the next time, he advised that i give him a call to book an appt or come during off peak hours.

All i want to say is that he is generally a pleasant guy. He remember each person face as much. Why the long wait is that he care to explain certain features to his customer ( good for beginners ).

Brandon said:
All my filters were bought from them too :)

My experience was in getting a UV filter for my S5000. Due to the weird design of the lens cover, it cannot be capped on with the filter mounted. So the staff took an old spare filter and modified it for me as an addition so that the cap could be put on properly. All at no extra cost :)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I buy from john 3:16 sometimes (550ex,420ex*2,sigma 12-24, filters, bag etc)
. but I realise price wise, cathay is better, but service/attitude is just abit better from john.

I think it really depends if i feel cheap that day. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.