Johannesburg, Cape Town & Safari

prec85

Aug 21, 2008
Hi all,

I would like to seek advice and expertise on which range of lens should I bring to the above places for photoshoot. Main criteria would be not to let my equipments tire me out due to the bulkiness and weight.

Currently own Canon 7D.

This would be a newbie opinion. On most of my trips, I feel a single 18-200mm lens combined with light (travel) tripod, is perfect combination. Don't forget extra battery. A netbook should be useful too, for image backup and some on the field photo editing. If 18mm is not wide enough, I'll usually do multiple pano shots, and combine later using Hugin software.

A Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 would be light and probably sufficient for your casual shooting needs.

Get the VC model if you don't intend to carry a tripod around. If you don't mind slightly more weight (and paying a little more), can consider Canon EFS 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM.

The lens mentioned in your signature, are those the lens u have?

I think you would need a wider lens. Cape Town is a very scenic place. I was there during the World Cup 2010.
You definately need to bring the telephoto, and perhaps a TC for the extra reach during the Safari trips.

Hey, just went to South Africa a couple of weeks ago, amazing place.

What I found was a tripod isn't convenient on the safaris at all, especially since you will be in the 4x4 during the entire drive and will not be allowed to alight. A monopod would be great. 18-200mm might be enough but I found the 70-300 to be a much better option. Cape town is extremely scenic and a wide angle lens would be awesome there. Enjoy :)

Hi , visited St Lucia, Durban, Johannesburg, Cape Town and did the safari as well two year ago.

Important to have a wide angle lens [ preferably something like the Sigma 10 - 20 mm ] ( with polariser ) and a telephoto ( Sigma 100- 300 f/4 with TC or even longer 400 / 500 - best ).

There may be instances where you see a herd of elephants , or a herd of antelopes, wilderbeast, and some girffaes down in the vallay. ( I happened to be in both situations ). I had to crop my pictures aggressively, even with the 100- 300mm .

A monopod is best for the safari . But the sturdy tripod will be required up on Table Mountain .

Have an enjoyable and safe trip . ;)

Thanks for all the advices! Will try to secure a UWA since it's highly recommended.

One more thing, you have to be careful with using a tripod at places like Table Mountain, Chapmans Peak and Cape Point as it gets extremely windy. I lost a camera bag up at cape point when I was up there :( It just flew off and went straight down.

And be wary of carrying all your expensive camera equipment around while in town in Jo'burg, its not exactly the safest place in the world. Try to get back to your hotel by 6-7 latest.

Enjoy!

a telephoto lens is a MUST for the safaris.. even a 55-250 is hardly enough to shoot the hippos & girffaes, etc.. & whales (yes, i saw whales near fish hoek, along the way to cape point ;) )..

Care to share more on the safety aspect that i should take note of? Also i have heard that S.A don't really support Credit Cards. Is that true?

Any recommendations in South Africa for cage diving with great white sharks?

Went South Africa in 2006.. you'll need a long lens during safaris..

from experience my 400mm had just enough reach..
my recomms:
1. Bring very-wide angle while shooting on Table Mountain. Also mounting polariser will be beneficial, since African sunlight can be quite harsh..

2. Mount monopod for safari. We were in an open-top 4WD, me sitting in centre seat, swivelling left/right like MG-gunner. Good coverage, just don't slam your face into your gear when ride gets bumpy (happened to me..)

3. Cleaning kit, coz it's very dusty.. my sensor sucked in loads of dust on first day..

4. Lots of batteries and memory cards.. shooting wildlife at full-auto tends to drain your cam fast..

Have fun! Cheers! ;)