xintothezonex

Oct 20, 2008
East Side
3355899043_b76c8a240f.jpg

Picture taken using manual settings :
Aperture : f/11
Shutter speed : 1/250sec
ISO : 200

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
I hope to receive comments on how I can improve my shots and composition.
Especially to capture the sky and clouds with the sunrays. I hope to get comments
from others what I can do and what should i not do.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I would like to capture sunrays showing from the clouds. I have been viewing
pictures of sunset and sunrise and really love the rays coming out from the clouds
so I hope to learn more what need to be done to achieve this.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Went to capture sunset and then around that time saw many runners running around that
area. Instead of sunset i tried to combine people and landscape at the same time.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
It was good timing to capture the runner blocking the sun giving the silhouette effect.

Do feel free to comment on the picture..
Any other advise on how to edit the picture better or anything at all.
Im still learning..

Thanks.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Just my opinion.. it looked like a Statue.. probably because of the base at the feet. hehe... anyway, nice photo.

Just my opinion.. it looked like a Statue.. probably because of the base at the feet. hehe... anyway, nice photo.

hie there.. thanks for the comments.
anyway.. now that you have mention it bout the base at the feet, i only then realised it.
Hee!
cheers!

Honestly speaking, this place, the Labrador Park, is a nice place to relax, jog or walk about, but not a very photogenic location due to the stretch of railng, otherwise it would be good.

You have got a heavily tilted horizon. Your subject doesn't have a clean action silhouette, besides being merge with the clouds and railing.

Beautiful sunray picture have to come by luck, not necessary every sunset picture comes attached with the ray. These rays also can be found in the early morning mist among the bushes or trees. when there is no mist but only sunray, we create some smoke to accentuate the rays.

Overall, this picture fail to portray your idea. Most importantly, is the location. Try change it to Pandan Reservoir and shoot again during sunset hour. Good Luck.

You have got a heavily tilted horizon. Your subject doesn't have a clean action silhouette, besides being merge with the clouds and railing.

Beautiful sunray picture have to come by luck, not necessary every sunset picture comes attached with the ray. These rays also can be found in the early morning mist among the bushes or trees. when there is no mist but only sunray, we create some smoke to accentuate the rays.

Try change it to Pandan Reservoir and shoot again during sunset hour. Good Luck.

hie cabbySHE..
first of all, clean action silhouette what do u mean by that..
im sorry i dont understand u.
can enlighten me. Im still learning. sorry.

anyway, thanks for the tips on using smoke. will try it one day and also thank u
for the advised location for me to go and shoot.
Appreciate yr comments!
hava gd day..
cheers! :D

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
I hope to receive comments on how I can improve my shots and composition.
Especially to capture the sky and clouds with the sunrays. I hope to get comments
from others what I can do and what should i not do.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I would like to capture sunrays showing from the clouds. I have been viewing
pictures of sunset and sunrise and really love the rays coming out from the clouds
so I hope to learn more what need to be done to achieve this.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Went to capture sunset and then around that time saw many runners running around that
area. Instead of sunset i tried to combine people and landscape at the same time.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
It was good timing to capture the runner blocking the sun giving the silhouette effect.

Do feel free to comment on the picture..
Any other advise on how to edit the picture better or anything at all.
Im still learning..

Thanks.
Cheers!

there are no sun rays here, actually, because your guy has blocked them. :)

if you are talking about god's rays, which would be the name for the rays that peek underneath clouds from the sun, i.e. something like what you see here.. then basically, you need two things:

1) them to be there. if the clouds are not such that the sun rays can actually filter through (and you can see them, after one time, you will remember what it looks like for life).. then no god's rays. normal sun rays do not work that way.

2) underexpose slightly. when photoshopping, you can bring out the rays by dodging the highlights where they occur, and burning the midtones. do not go too heavy on this.

if you do not know what burn and dodge means, go and read up. anyways, there are other situations where you can capture rays; i.e. when there is smoke or mist or fog, or dust particles, then you can see the light clearly, like here. unless you happen to be able to burn things anywhere and everywhere, once again, up to chance, and same treatment as before. hope this helps.

as for your picture, it is an ok silhouette, the shapes are distinct, it is not too messy.

the only problem i have is with the use of tilt, and the vertical format chosen.

have you thought about why you want to include a tilt? does it work? a dynamic tilt is one whereby, if the picture is without it, it is weakened compositionally; otherwise it just becomes a tilt for the sake of tilting.

If you want to get similar silouette effect of joggers, which are plenty in the evening, you can stopby along West Coast Road, after Jurong Town Hall Road. And if you prefers joggers to be in the light then you've got to shoot from Jalan Buroh. But you can't have both, coz by the time you reach the other side the sun has gone.

One thing for sure, over there, there are no railing, and sure you're be able to capture a lot of joggers or could arrange a friend to pose as jogger, then cross your finger for that GOD's ray, our group term it as " Yea-so-kong ".

I know a lot of people like to tilt their camera to get diagonals and improve the dynamism and energy of the photo... but it doesn't really work all the time. Here, it just looks like the guy is running uphill... and it's damn steep.

Also, this tilt, when used too much, becomes very cliche and tiresome.

If anyone's interested, there're also other names for God's rays, namely Angel's Ladder or Jacob's Ladder :)
For scientifically more inclined people, it's called crepuscular rays :confused:

there are no sun rays here, actually, because your guy has blocked them. :)

if you are talking about god's rays, which would be the name for the rays that peek underneath clouds from the sun, i.e. something like what you see here.. then basically, you need two things:

1) them to be there. if the clouds are not such that the sun rays can actually filter through (and you can see them, after one time, you will remember what it looks like for life).. then no god's rays. normal sun rays do not work that way.

2) underexpose slightly. when photoshopping, you can bring out the rays by dodging the highlights where they occur, and burning the midtones. do not go too heavy on this.

if you do not know what burn and dodge means, go and read up. anyways, there are other situations where you can capture rays; i.e. when there is smoke or mist or fog, or dust particles, then you can see the light clearly, like here. unless you happen to be able to burn things anywhere and everywhere, once again, up to chance, and same treatment as before. hope this helps.

as for your picture, it is an ok silhouette, the shapes are distinct, it is not too messy.

the only problem i have is with the use of tilt, and the vertical format chosen.

have you thought about why you want to include a tilt? does it work? a dynamic tilt is one whereby, if the picture is without it, it is weakened compositionally; otherwise it just becomes a tilt for the sake of tilting.

first of all.. i would like to say that i really like yr pictures at yr site..
gorgeous! :thumbsup:
anyway thanks for the input and picture samples u have provided me.
appreciate it!

ok for the rest on the comments on the tilting of the pictures..
i will surely take note of.
thank you all.
hope to get more comments.. anything at all!
cheers!

If anyone's interested, there're also other names for God's rays, namely Angel's Ladder or Jacob's Ladder :)
For scientifically more inclined people, it's called crepuscular rays :confused:

Wow that's good , first time I'd read about this term, sure that most guys would have understand what it's meaning without explanation, but it's good to know, thanks !

As the angle taken is rather low, I suppose the photographer must be crouching or squatting at the time of composing this shot. It would have help if he has got a life view and use it. Myself falls into the same pit when hand holding to compose low angle horizontal.

Nice pic!!:thumbsup:

But the angle was too much.. maybe u can try to tilt just a bit only to make the effect come out.. Coz tilting too much will make the photo look a bit off.. and even though the sun's ray was covered by the guy, the photo still look good..(except for the tilting):D

Anyway, hope to see more!! :D

As the angle taken is rather low, I suppose the photographer must be crouching or squatting at the time of composing this shot. It would have help if he has got a life view and use it. Myself falls into the same pit when hand holding to compose low angle horizontal.

quite true.. was squatting till the jogger came and there was the tilt.
i try not to use life view that much cos few said that it might damage
the sensor if use to much.
anyway will take note of it if it helps to capture good picture.
thanks..
cheers!

nice colours

Nice pic!!:thumbsup:

But the angle was too much.. maybe u can try to tilt just a bit only to make the effect come out.. Coz tilting too much will make the photo look a bit off.. and even though the sun's ray was covered by the guy, the photo still look good..(except for the tilting):D

Anyway, hope to see more!! :D

thanks Raied..

seiji87 thank u too.. note taken on the tilt.

cheers!

Honestly, I really like the use of tilt in your picture! I think it suits the energetic vibe the jogger and the light in your picture conveys. Nice work! :)

Compositionally, I think might like to raise the lower part of your picture (i.e. the silhouette portion) to be the lower 1/3 of the image. Perhaps have the bottom of the railings exit exactly at the bottom right corner of the image. This way you get a nice rule of thirds diagonally.

You might also like to accentuate the motion of the jogger. As someone else mentioned, his static pose doesn't convey much. A slightly slower shutter would introduce a nice blur, but you might have to use manual for that. Also perhaps have the jogger running into or out of the frame. This way, the sunlight would be more visible. You could even purposely introduce flare if you like.

quite true.. was squatting till the jogger came and there was the tilt.
i try not to use life view that much cos few said that it might damage
the sensor if use to much.

cheers!

Heard about that warning, am not too sure,only that how about those shooting videos without life view or does the video camera has got a better sensor ? Someone here can enlighten ?

Heard about that warning, am not too sure,only that how about those shooting videos without life view or does the video camera has got a better sensor ? Someone here can enlighten ?

hie cabbySHE..
i have started a new thread regarding bout this in here.
it is not appropriate to discuss it in here as it is off topic.

hope u get yr queries soon enuf and can also throw in more discussion in there.
thanks..
cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.