Joby Gorillapod? Is it really that great?

sircam

May 21, 2007
Was wondering if any Pentaxian has used the Joby Gorillapod (SLR or SLR-Zoom model) and is personally satisfied with it? Can it really be mounted, hung, folded and attached firmly like they show in the videos? Is the quality good enough to last for years? Any other comments from personal experience?

If it really is as good as claimed, I am thinking of purchasing all three models... the original one for tiny compact cameras, the one for heavier SLR bodies and the third for SLRs with heavy zoom lens attached. I always believe the best way to judge for oneself is to try out personally... but I will only do so if there isn't too much negative feedback in the first place.

Thanks.

hmm... u want a support for ? landscape ? self/group photo ?

not everywhere u go there will be something to grab on... its onli good if u want a support that is very very low... else nothing beats a sturdy tripod...

It is very versatile for tight places or places where setting up a regular tripod will be difficult or impossible. It's also great for places where a regular tripod is disallowed.

I had one in my bag while in Japan. I got the larger one for my K-7 and 16-50/50-135 combos. Came in really handy!

agree with flowerpot, the joby gorilla is only good for grabbing onto something else. It will creep slightly if u use it as a tripod stand, really need to make sure all joints are straighten out. if u really keen on getting, i guess the slr zoom is a better one. one good thing is u can curl it up and put inside your bag. :)

These are exactly the kind of comments I was looking for based upon first hand user experiences. Thanks so much, everyone! Your comments pretty much make me feel that the original one for tiny compacts will be pretty much useless... so I am not going to lay my hands on it. That leaves me two to choose from... and there is a sizeable difference + an uber ball head.

The mention of the 'creep' phenomenon is worrying me. Seems it cannot handle too much weight... especially if it is not balanced in the center. No one mentioned this ever before and neither was it shown in the few demo videos I saw.

It seems that the middle of the three ('GP2' or 'SLR version') would actually be ideal both for tiny compacts and larger compacts such as the Panasonic TZ7, LX3 and GF1... or may be even for a considerably larger and heavier GH1. What are your thoughts?

Another question: Do the ball socket joints ever come off i.e. separate quite easily? I know that they can be pushed back in with slight pressure, but some users have mentioned this and I am a bit worried.

Last edited:
I have one.. the Zoom version i think.. brought it for my Honeymoon recently.. hardly use them.. as we rather get someone to take photo of us.. but i used it for a few sunsets... I only use it lately for this...

Cropped
_K7_6215-2.jpg

These are exactly the kind of comments I was looking for based upon first hand user experiences. Thanks so much, everyone! Your comments pretty much make me feel that the original one for tiny compacts will be pretty much useless... so I am not going to lay my hands on it. That leaves me two to choose from... and there is a sizeable difference + an uber ball head.

The mention of the 'creep' phenomenon is worrying me. Seems it cannot handle too much weight... especially if it is not balanced in the center. No one mentioned that every before and neither was it shown in the few demo videos I saw.

It seems that the middle of the three (SLR version) would actually be ideal both for tiny compacts and larger compacts such as the Panasonic TZ7, LX3 and GF1... or may be even a considerably larger and heavier GH1. What are your thoughts?

Another question: Do the ball socket joints ever come off i.e. separate quite easily? I know that they can be pushed back in with slight pressure, but some users have mentioned this and I am a bit worried.

Hello, sircam.
Perhaps I may put your worries at ease a little bit here.
I use the Joby Gorillapod Focus. It has a max load of 5kg, and I do load at least about 3kg worth of gears on it.
So far, to address the issue in blue, as long as your Gorillapod is the correct model for the appropriate load, I have faced no problems with creeping, i.e. gradual bending of the legs. I have personally found that I need to, if using a real heavy load, straighten the lowest portion of the legs so that they are not at too much an angle with the ground. This will make the pod very steady.

Do the sockets come off? No, it has not happened to me. I trust the original Joby brand Gorillapod. Again, personally I would thinking a $200+ pod, almost the price of a relatively good tripod, would be of a good quality. So far haven't heard of anything to the contrary.

Thanks for your post and clear-cut explanation... makes me feel more comfortable about ordering the Gorillapod today!

limwhow, Thanks for your post and clear cut explanations. Makes me feel more comfortable about ordering the Gorillapod from Amazon today so that it can be shipped in the same package at the same time as my K-x kits. Seems one has to choose weight versus model correctly and then keep in mind some common sense usage tips which I have received from others, and you, in this thread!

Many thanks once again.

Last edited:
does the pricing at amazon is cheaper than buying it in singapore?

does the pricing at amazon is cheaper than buying it in singapore?
Hello ShiNn. Sorry I have not seen amazon's prices. Cathay Photo is around $211 for the Gorillapod Joby Focus, if my memory does not fail me (Focus is the highest of the range one). You may like to take it from here to check around.

Last edited:
Prices in Singpore are comparitively cheaper... all this considered (especially shipping and local warranty.)

Hi sircam, have you started using the Gorillapod? I am also thinking about getting the SLR zoom version. Is it stable enough? Does anyone here knows whether it would be stable enough for long exposure shots? Especially long exposure macro shots on low grounds.

Also, can it mount a regular ball head or we must use their ball heads?

Thanks.

Hi sircam, have you started using the Gorillapod? I am also thinking about getting the SLR zoom version. Is it stable enough? Does anyone here knows whether it would be stable enough for long exposure shots? Especially long exposure macro shots on low grounds.

Also, can it mount a regular ball head or we must use their ball heads?

Thanks.

Hello, HLZQ4.
Truly, get the original Gorilla (I can't comment on the third party ones) and don't push its limit in loading your gear, and it will be as stable as any tripod even for long exposures.

Gorillapods don't come with their own ball head. So just use your own ball head to mount it on. I find this better than directly mounting the camera onto the Gorillapod. Again, take the weight of the ball head into account when you calculate the total weight of your gear.

I am not in Singapore since it was delivered, so cannot comment from personal experience right now. But glad that somebody else already has replied to your post above. :)

Thanks limwhow and sircam. :)

any price guides on this one ? the slr zoom seems to be all price at 80 close to 90 bucks w/o the ball head .... anyone could get it for under 80 ?

any price guides on this one ? the slr zoom seems to be all price at 80 close to 90 bucks w/o the ball head .... anyone could get it for under 80 ?
its about $123 in cathay photo.
but i bought it online from dd electronics cos cathay didnt have the stock with joby ballhead.

Wondering if it really was safe to hang a 1-2 kg DSLR with lens wrapped on to a pole or sumthing if looks like it can fall anytime and if would take alot of precautions if i were to do that :sweat:

i don't use it, and for my sort of photos, don't think i need it.