Joby Gorillapod Flexible Tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber_Duck

May 26, 2004
nippon
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

Going to holiday next month with family...
wanted to get this Joby Gorillapod Flexible Tripod for my trip...

Would like to find out is it really stable for DSLR to put it like that..?? like the below pix..??
And for taking night shot as well

Any feed back from any user?

gpslr01ti6.jpg

Hi!

I have been using a Joby SLR Zoom for a while. Yes, it can grip and hold on to bars and railings as in the picture. However, it tends to slip if you are not careful- so it takes some effort to really twist the legs around well. It can also be tricky to frame the shot, as you are dependent on the fixed support railing. I mount a manfrotto 484 on it, so I would grip the legs tight, then use the ballhead to frame. Its easier this way.

You cant move about to position a good location like a regular tripod. I am not sure if in the long run the joints will loosen up, but if you want a simple holiday tripod, this is really convenient.
Hope this helps.

Hi!

I have been using a Joby SLR Zoom for a while. Yes, it can grip and hold on to bars and railings as in the picture. However, it tends to slip if you are not careful- so it takes some effort to really twist the legs around well. It can also be tricky to frame the shot, as you are dependent on the fixed support railing. I mount a manfrotto 484 on it, so I would grip the legs tight, then use the ballhead to frame. Its easier this way.

You cant move about to position a good location like a regular tripod. I am not sure if in the long run the joints will loosen up, but if you want a simple holiday tripod, this is really convenient.
Hope this helps.

On this pix, is really help when taking family pix..
no need to find a trash bin or other stuffs to have to actually height..

may I know how much that cost?

Thank you very much..!!!
Is really helps..!!

I think MS colour carries a few at approx $80 I think. I use the slr ZOOM model, not the slr one. The zoom is bigger and stronger, but does not come with a quick release. remember to keep the reducer nut that comes along with the gorillapod so you can fix on a ball head in the future. I will not think it can support those pro slrs. But if you are talking about a consumer dSLR with normal zoom, should be ok. Anyway I use for wide angle and family portraits, so it works fine.

Cheers
Jeremy

You must get the DSLR ZOOM one, not the DSLR one. You hear?? It is great if u can bother to carry it around. And it is good for special situations. Recommended buy if u can see a need for it and more.

I think MS colour carries a few at approx $80 I think. I use the slr ZOOM model, not the slr one. The zoom is bigger and stronger, but does not come with a quick release. remember to keep the reducer nut that comes along with the gorillapod so you can fix on a ball head in the future. I will not think it can support those pro slrs. But if you are talking about a consumer dSLR with normal zoom, should be ok. Anyway I use for wide angle and family portraits, so it works fine.

Cheers
Jeremy

Thanks again... :angel:
I think I will get the DSLR Zoom for future...May be I will get a Zoom Lens and BG too...:sweatsm: If I save enough $$$....

Oh SG is selling so ex....
Last night checked the shop here
DSLR One - Est $45.
DSLR Zoom - Est $65.

I think I set my mind for DSLR ZOOM...

You must get the DSLR ZOOM one, not the DSLR one. You hear?? It is great if u can bother to carry it around. And it is good for special situations. Recommended buy if u can see a need for it and more.

Thanks I have make up my mind to get the DSLR Zoom instead of just DSLR.
In future I may upgrade my lens or body.... likely to be....:bsmilie:

Hey..

Finally got my Joby Gorillapod Flexible Tripod SLR Zoom.
But I just found out there is some thing missing...:dunno:

The Adaptable Screw is missing. 1/4" adaptable to 3/8".
I tested will my camera and Q head and able to screw and tighten without the adaptable screw 3/8"...

Should I go back to the shop and ask them for the adaptable screw? :think:

Hey..

I tested will my camera and Q head and able to screw and tighten without the adaptable screw 3/8"...

The adaptable screw is attached to one of the string that holds the Gorillapod to the packaging... look for it there...

The adaptable screw is attached to one of the string that holds the Gorillapod to the packaging... look for it there...

Checked and confirmed is not there...:cry:
So do i need the Adaptable screw??? since like the one on the tripod is able to use it....

Hi. There should be another adaptor nut on the string holding the gorillapod to the box. You dont need the nut if you connect your camera straight to the pod. But if you intend to mount a ballhead, then you might need it.

Can try go to the shop and ask. I think its about $10+ to get a replacement nut. Not cheap.

Hi. There should be another adaptor nut on the string holding the gorillapod to the box. You dont need the nut if you connect your camera straight to the pod. But if you intend to mount a ballhead, then you might need it.

Can try go to the shop and ask. I think its about $10+ to get a replacement nut. Not cheap.

OIC... Thanks..!!!
Shall go back the shop and request for it...

Hey..

may i know where u bought ..& how much?

Tokyo and is selling at Yen4980 = SG$64.

Sorry bro revive ur old thread....

Can share more on your experience using Gorillapodslr-zoom??

:)

Let me share mine.

I have the SLR Zoom (biggest one) and I carry it around with me in the camera bag.

People like us who use dSLRs are usually not comfortable asking others to take picture for us. One reason is because the camera is so heavy that people without experience handling a dSLR will definitely will have the shaky hands and the other reason is that we always want to frame the pictures exactly the way we wanted.

I use a Canon 40D with the 17-55mm/f2.8 lens so for a group photo of four in a restaurant, I will just put the camera with the gorillapod on one end of the table and set the shutter delay to 10 sec. I even put my Speedlite 580EXII on in some occasion and it holds up pretty good as long as I don't put the camera at an awkward angle.

I do not use any ball head or anything, just attach the pod to the camera directly. It is quite easy to adjust the front of back legs to tilt the camera to a certain angle that I wanted.

Last edited:
Sorry bro revive ur old thread....

Can share more on your experience using Gorillapodslr-zoom??

:)

Is very a good and flex tripod..!!!
Worth the $$..

My Last trip, I used it for taking my family photo with the tripod
We was at the beaches and I mounted on the life guide house stair pole.
my family and friends was so shock to see that..!!! :sweatsm:

My recent trip was hiking near by with my family ..
All those rocks and uneven surface, I just put the tripod on the rocks and adjust a little and it stand firmly.

The weight is OK and very flexible.

I used my Kit lens 18-55IS to mount it.

Last edited:
Yes, it is easy to carry but troublesome to fix.
I prefer tripod. Faster and more secure.

Anyway, luckily I bought the 3rd party one at just $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.