job market

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddog

Feb 13, 2002
Alexandra
maddog.clubsnap.org
How's the job market now? Many of my friends are leaving the company. Are jobs abundant now? I don't think many companies pay high. How much does a fresh grad get in IT industry? It's amazing how I've been working 6 years and starting pay is lower than when I started.

don't know about Singapore scene, but from the vacancies in the papers here there seems to be more jobs these days.

I've been looking around for a year and half. At the beginning the apllications I sent out didn't even attract a response.

These days at least I've got called for interviews.

Finally started my new job a month and half ago.

Keep looking, keep sending out applications and phoning up job advertisers. Good job only comes to those who work hard to get it.

Those who sit underneath the tree waiting will only get coconuts.

My girlfriend had been jobless for > 3months and still looking. Most of her applications had no response at all. I dun understand why it is said the job market is improving leh.... I also tried looking for new jobs but got two interviews out of two jobs applications but then no news after the interview leh (could be my present salary too high ;p)

I've been told by others that the fresh university grads are now getting the fresh poly diploma's starting pay and the fresh poly diploma are getting the fresh ITE student's pay. This is for the IT Industry only. And I do think there is some truth in this.

Anthony

maddog said:
How's the job market now? Many of my friends are leaving the company. Are jobs abundant now? I don't think many companies pay high. How much does a fresh grad get in IT industry? It's amazing how I've been working 6 years and starting pay is lower than when I started.

I had try to employ a staff since april...
but either over-Q or ask too much $$$ for irrevlant experience.
Or... some don't even know how to type a proper resume...
Or... Some don't know what they are apply... just sent out application without knowing what they are applying..

How to give them job like that....

Ditto. Had the same experience here. Some people apply for a job without even knowing what it is all about. Doesn;t look good to the interviewer.

Some even called up and ask "How much you are paying?"

But now IT industry asking quite a lot out of fresh grads i.e need to know quite number of differnt comp languages. Dun they know that uni only got teach a few basic ones. :bsmilie:

When I conduct interviews I only look for good grades, initiative and drive(quite hard to spot and individuals are often deceptive). I think the latter are better traits. Don't really care what the applicant learnt in school as they are about 10yrs behind industry. I also noticed that those with good grades and little else are very bad employees.

MADDOg,

What are you looking for actually in your potential employees? In the IT industry? :)

3-4 of my colleagues found a new job within 2 months. Since they are leaving, my boss need more guys again. Maddog, if you or your friends are interested to find a new job, PM me.

Gabes said:
MADDOg,

What are you looking for actually in your potential employees? In the IT industry? :)

the technical skills and grades must be there. that will get you to the interview. after that we look for people who have the right mindset. people who are not rigid, can work hard and adapt to change.

With the stepping down of Goh Chok Tong, and the stepping up of Lee Kuan Yew's older son to be PM, how can the economy be worsed than before. Die Die economy must be picked up. But this doesn't mean that the pay also must go up.

maddog said:

jbma said:
Some even called up and ask "How much you are paying?"

I don't think its unfair for employees to ask how much the job offers. Afterall its a game played by both.

Some companies just wanna hire as cheap as possible, with what they can get. Others set aside a certain budget, and is pretty frank about the pay package.

baobeitan said:
I don't think its unfair for employees to ask how much the job offers. Afterall its a game played by both.

Some companies just wanna hire as cheap as possible, with what they can get. Others set aside a certain budget, and is pretty frank about the pay package.

its only right to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.