Job first? Or travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boroangel

Apr 23, 2005
I was just wondering...if you have another 6 months left before you graduate but a company wants to sign you up now...that means you would have to adhere to their leave policy...but before that you already had plans to travel for a backpacking trip which will take 2 weeks in May...and another one with family which will take a week in August...both will mean you will have to knock 13 days off your leave...what would you do?

Would you take the job and do the backpacking next time, which would be even harder cos you would be working then...or would you reject the job considering the job offer would still be there when you graduate...oh another factor...in you go in May you might have a nice lady companion to go with you but if you go next time you should be going alone...

Jobs are not easy to find now. If the company is willing to take you in, go for it. Backpacking can be done later in the future. There is no such thing that the company will wait for people.

boroangel said:
...considering the job offer would still be there when you graduate...

If that were the case, then you wouldn't be asking the question! Speak to whoever made the offer to you and come to a compromise.

Its tricky cos technically I am working for them on a collaboration now...so there isnt such a hurry for them to employ someone doing the same work scope as I am currently doing it till I grad...someone know inside have been negotiating with the HR and he said if I wanna go backpack I can always take a no pay leave for 2 weeks and go...

i think most company will accept that u plan leave already so a compromise can be reach 1

eg no pay leave, they let u go on leave , secure u to work for them n for 2 weeks no need to pay u , to u , they will seems like a good employer, to them , u r a person who is sincerely willing to seek a win win stuation .

good luck to u

got money? go travel...
no money? go work...

I love this practical world..:what:

If they hold the job for you... just go.

After you work, may not have time to take so much leave. Going overseas for an extended period will make you a better person. More independent and your views tends to widen. ;)

I agree with Zplus, I think you should just go for the backpacking trip frist.

It's rather hard to take leave after one starts working, esp when u know that once back at ur desk, u will be dealing with backlog. :sweat:

How impt is this job to you? Is this a company that many are dying to work for or is this another company that offered you a job (but you aren't really sure if you want to work there)?

If it is the former, I will take the job and consider going on my travels later. A good job, from a good company is hard to come by. There will always be opportunities to travel since you are still young.

Besides, when you earn & save some money, travelling can be a whole lot more fun cos you will have the purchasing power and can decide if you want to spulge or not during your travels. If you are a recent graduate (without alot of savings), you may not have that much money and to me, that can just be a pain.

Anyway, I already rejected the offer. There are other things like bonds which I m not comfortable with...as dragon said...its a large MNC but I m not sure (havent had the time to really consider it) that its a die die must join company for me...dont think I should rush into decisions so fast just because of that extra 1K+ per month...of cos I might live to regret it but I m also not comfortable with the bond they want me to sign, restricting my options.

Aiyah basically their offer isnt bad.....but isn't terrific also...and in the end my gut feeling tells me I should keep my options open in the meantime.

haha... then go for a longer backpacking trip ;p I did Middle East for 2 months after quitting a job, hehe... dont think any jobs will allow 2 months unpaid leave.

Travel travel travel!

Once you get sucked up in the corporate world.. you'll never be able to travel the way you can now. Max. what, 21 days? I think you probably deserve a good break for working so hard in school!

Sjourn said:
got money? go travel...
no money? go work...

I love this practical world..:what:

Exactly what I will do.:cool:

Go for the trip. It'll make you wiser.

I guess everything is really up to you and the options you want to take. You can always step into the Corporate world first and decide to take 6 mths to a year off for travel after working a few years (& after you have established yourself in your career).

Otherwise, play first and work later.

All the best Boroangel... enjoy your break & good luck with the rest of your job hunt.

Frankly speaking, it might be difficult to go for long back-packing trips once you start working, even if you don't mind taking unpaid leave....unless you quit to travel or have very understanding boss or no major commitments in your area of responsibilities at work..etc?

Know what i mean? :devil:

lucky you
you have a choice
most people don't
they have parents or siblings to support

perhaps you are one of those ah sia kia
reach 18 years, dad buys you a Ferarri
after NS go to U, mum buys you a condo near to NUS so you can stay closer to study place
graduate, can go long holiday and got money to go overseas holiday

lol.....as learnt, there are no wrong choices, only whether is the outcome what u want.

Travel rulez...yup, u can't really take long leave/unpaid....when u started working, even if u willing to go unpaid i doubt the company willing to let u go.......unless...in case like u wanna quit for such reason n the company wanna keep u then let u go on a long leave...^^|

Enjoy ur holiday! heee

Status
Not open for further replies.