Jiuzhaigou, Leshan, Mt Emei

avalancheseah

Jun 13, 2009
Hi,

planning for a trip to all these places with tour agency.
Can anyone advise what are the camera settings that you used to capture those scenes?

My current collection includes 18-55, sigma 70-300 and 50/1.4. Considering getting a Canon 10-22 for wide angle or Tokina 11-16/2.8 which is cheaper and bigger aperture, but with a shorter range. Which will make a better choice?

As I'm travelling in a tour group, shall I bring tripod or a monopod? Tripod for more stability but might not the luxury time to set up since tour groups are always in a rush. But monopod might not be so stable.

Thanks.

It is better to bring tripod then monopod.

Depending on how much time does your tour agency give you free time, it should not be too rush that you just go thru the motion in those places ...

Mt Emei is the agency planning for you to see the sun rise?

No idea. But will be travelling to stay at Mt Emei hotel, besides Baoguo temple. Will go up to the peak the next day. So i supposed I wun get the chance to see the sun rise from the peak.

btw, thanks for ur advice.

hi btw u going on oct de batch right? I'm planning to go there to for photography trip=)

I visited these places (as well as Sichuan to see the terracotta warriors) many years ago during the golden week (1st May), which was a bad choice, as all the attractions (especially Jiuzhaigou) were packed with tourists.
I think a tripod is better, can use it to take self-portrait.
Enjoy your trip!

The terracotta warriors are in Xian and not Sichuan. ;)

Tripod a must for JiuZaiGou , waterfall and its beautiful streams, ponds, lakes ...

Hi HealerKids, no... I'm going in sep. Heard Oct will be the best time to go. Are you going in a tour group or a photoshot tour gathering group?
Now considering which lens to get... canon 10-22, canon 17-55 or canon 15-85 for the trip. A good excuse to upgrade my collection. Currently holding a 18-55 and sigma 70-300.

am thinking of 10-22, since jiuzhaigou is a place where ppl will love to take wide angle, but 17-55 will have advantages of f2.8, while a 15-85 will more a bit more on both the wide angle and telephoto.

Hi HealerKids, no... I'm going in sep. Heard Oct will be the best time to go. Are you going in a tour group or a photoshot tour gathering group?
Now considering which lens to get... canon 10-22, canon 17-55 or canon 15-85 for the trip. A good excuse to upgrade my collection. Currently holding a 18-55 and sigma 70-300.

am thinking of 10-22, since jiuzhaigou is a place where ppl will love to take wide angle, but 17-55 will have advantages of f2.8, while a 15-85 will more a bit more on both the wide angle and telephoto.

Going to Jiuzaigou in late Sept with a tour group too. When are you going? :D

I was trying to avoid 1st week of Oct as it is a national holiday. The touristy places will be packed. Then, I heard from my chinese friends that there is also 2 days of holidays in end Sept. sigh! :sweat:

Will try bring a light set-up. 16-35 + 50 + 55-200 and of course, my travel tripod.:)

will be going in mid sep... yes... that's hari raya.
just got my 10-22. now planning to get a travel tripod...

The holiday period i was refering to was in China. I think my chinese friend meant the mid -autumn festival on 22 Sep which is a national holiday in China. :)

I am bringing a small group there from Oct 22 - Nov 2. We will land in Chengdu and head to to JZG and also explore the grasslands in Ruoergai, Langmusi etc. This is a special trip for serious photographers. I still have places for a few more ppl.

anyone who had been to JZG have any advices/experiences to share here? i'm going to Chengdu next month for 15 days and everything will be free and easy..

anyone who had been to JZG have any advices/experiences to share here? i'm going to Chengdu next month for 15 days and everything will be free and easy..

Besides JZG, don't miss another near-by attraction by the name of Huang Long (黄龙)...

been there exactly one year ago

the best time to visit jiuzaigou is 3rd and 4th week of October, just before the end of the peak period.

Avoid golden week at all cost!

A mid-zoom will be good enough, I was on 1D MKII with 17-40L, no chance to use 70-200 so don't bother to bring.

CPL is a must and it is something that i regretted not to bring, as the colorful water cannot be captured nicely due to the reflection.

1 full day is needed for jiuzaigou, some even go there for 2 days. i joined local tour (much cheaper) and took 13 hour BUS from chengdu to jiuzaigou

Besides JZG, don't miss another near-by attraction by the name of Huang Long (黄龙)...

Huang Long and Jiuzaigou basically see the same thing...so no point to go Huanglong IMO. Jiuzaigou is bigger and much nicer than Huang Long

If you like hotspring, go to 海螺沟. If you go there during winter, you can enjoy the SNOW while soaking in the hotspring at the same time.

My room got private hotspring some more, so you can soak whole day if you want.
20090818165745380.jpg

海螺沟 can see beautiful sun rise and ice glicer
20080118161153101.jpg

Last edited:

get the panda card to visit many of the tourist attraction for free (eg. the panda base)

I can recommend some cheap and good commodation too (RMB100-120/day for 3-star hotel)

Need recommendation for food too? lots of nice food in chengdu if you can eat spicy stuff.

u will not like any 麻辣 stuff when you are back in singapore because the spice is just different. I regretted not to buy the 花椒 when i was in chengdu...everyone in the tour group bought it in KILOS!!

hi Wai, care to share ur experiences and a few pics from Emei and JZG? i am going there next fri and would like to hear some pointers from Emei Shan..