JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

SlowcarIX

Aug 29, 2012
sg/china
Just getting an opinion from folks that have been to there.....

Going on a 7 day trip in a few days time and wondering to bring 1dx/24-70/70-200 + tripod OR omd/12-35/35-100 w/o tripod?

Wondering if there is enough space on the sidewalk to park the manfrotto 055cx3 tripod and also bringing the setup up a bus full of pushy chineses....:confused:

i opt for omd option + get a travel tripod like the small sirui one like the t005x(? cant remember exact model)

rather travel light while on holiday.

OMD w/ 12-35 and 35-100. Might throw in a prime 17/1.8 too. I've been to China: Suzhou, Hangzhou, Beijing, Nanjing, Shanghai etc and have always been more than satisfied bringing along maximum weight EP3 + 14-150 mm and a prime.

Trust me, u will really want to travel light. And the above-mentioned combo u gave for MFT already covers the focal lengths u may need :)

Actually I'd even go lighter and bring along my Fuji x20 instead for the days where I really wan to go street shooting and don't want to scare pple off with a huge camera.

enjoy e trip!

All the 4 places require some climbing, hence recommend to go light. Go very early when the park opens for JiuZhaiGou, once the crowd comes in, it's difficult to setup tripod especially on the boardwalk. The vibrations from the boardwalk will also kill your long expo. Air at HuangLong is also quite thin, so easier to climb light. I make phototrips to China every year with a m43 and 6 lens but that's just me.

I'm curious, 6 lenses? Which are they? :)

i opt for omd option + get a travel tripod like the small sirui one like the t005x(? cant remember exact model)

rather travel light while on holiday.

couldnt find anything brands i am familiar with at the local electronics/computer city and limited choices...picked one with the brand "OBO", seems well constructed for 1000rmb.

8975290261_478d9fd317_z.jpg

OMD w/ 12-35 and 35-100. Might throw in a prime 17/1.8 too. I've been to China: Suzhou, Hangzhou, Beijing, Nanjing, Shanghai etc and have always been more than satisfied bringing along maximum weight EP3 + 14-150 mm and a prime.

Trust me, u will really want to travel light. And the above-mentioned combo u gave for MFT already covers the focal lengths u may need :)

Actually I'd even go lighter and bring along my Fuji x20 instead for the days where I really wan to go street shooting and don't want to scare pple off with a huge camera.

enjoy e trip!

i'll bring along the 25/1.4 w/ the 2 panasonic zooms. i'm so looking forward to the 10th

i have to agree, big camera scares a lot of ppl, just lifting it up and ppl will clear out of your way! lol

All the 4 places require some climbing, hence recommend to go light. Go very early when the park opens for JiuZhaiGou, once the crowd comes in, it's difficult to setup tripod especially on the boardwalk. The vibrations from the boardwalk will also kill your long expo. Air at HuangLong is also quite thin, so easier to climb light. I make phototrips to China every year with a m43 and 6 lens but that's just me.

thanks for the advice!

do you post your china pics somehwere?

Just getting an opinion from folks that have been to there.....

Going on a 7 day trip in a few days time and wondering to bring 1dx/24-70/70-200 + tripod OR omd/12-35/35-100 w/o tripod?

Wondering if there is enough space on the sidewalk to park the manfrotto 055cx3 tripod and also bringing the setup up a bus full of pushy chineses....:confused:

Was at JZG last Oct, brought along D600 & 24-120mm, quite manageable. Not easy to set up tripod as everywhere was so crowded. Also those wooden pathway defeat the purpose of setting up tripod. If you are using public bus, do set off early and go to the highest point and move downward to avoid the crowd. As someone mentioned, the air in Huang Long is quite thin, do travel there light. Actually DSLRs were common sight there.

I'm curious, 6 lenses? Which are they? :)

3 zooms and 3 primes. That's the beauty of a miniaturised system and was one of the early adopter of the m4/3 system.

thanks for the advice!

do you post your china pics somehwere?

Only once here, maybe will do so when I am back from my silkroad trip later this month. One more thing, the best frontal shot of the Leshan buddha is taken from a boat, the jetty is a distance away ( I took mine from the opposite bank). You can also see some other cliff carvings on the side of the cliff wall which you can't see from Leshan park. You can do the close-up buddha walk at Leshan park then take the boat (or vice versa) if you have enough time.

Last edited:
Don't forget to bring along a CPL.

Was at JZG last Oct, brought along D600 & 24-120mm, quite manageable. Not easy to set up tripod as everywhere was so crowded. Also those wooden pathway defeat the purpose of setting up tripod. If you are using public bus, do set off early and go to the highest point and move downward to avoid the crowd. As someone mentioned, the air in Huang Long is quite thin, do travel there light. Actually DSLRs were common sight there.
thanks for the advice - will go early and make it to the end of the trail and work my way down.

Only once here, maybe will do so when I am back from my silkroad trip later this month. One more thing, the best frontal shot of the Leshan buddha is taken from a boat, the jetty is a distance away ( I took mine from the opposite bank). You can also see some other cliff carvings on the side of the cliff wall which you can't see from Leshan park. You can do the close-up buddha walk at Leshan park then take the boat (or vice versa) if you have enough time.

thanks for the info....arrived too late in chengdu to go see the buddha. will visit ermei/buddha when we get done with jiuzhaigou on the return trip.

the tripod is pretty much useless...the wooden platforms bounce quite a bit with the crowd moving thru....

got a problem....my cpl is stuck to the filter, both low profile. anyone has a good suggestion how to wrestle them apart?

gorilla pod + OMD + 9-18mm + 12 50mm + 60mm macro is more suitable for me...
since its a lil bit hard to use prime lens during travelling and limited time/space to do "proper set up"

*just my opinion*