JinBei 180W flash leaking electricity ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.

arampan

Nov 29, 2004
Jurong West
I bought a set of three jinbei studio flashes and I realized everytime I plugged them into my sb800, My D70 would feel "electrified"

At first, I lived with it... NOW I noticed something terrible... all my photos taken has strange repeating patterns over areas that are supposed to be out of focus. Such patterns only manifest when I plugged the jin bei lights in... and not on normal SB800 usage.

I then guessd that it was probably cos the china 2 pin plugs given were not grounded. I changed the plugs to Singapore 3 pin with grounding... Still no avail...

Wat to do now??? :dunno:

Untitled-1_copy1.jpg

Please advise ! ! !

Changing a two pin plug to three pin doesn't make it grounded - if the equipment is not grounded, changing the plug does'nt help - it only has two wires to begin with.

I suggest you take a test pen and see where the leakage is at.

arampan said:
I bought a set of three jinbei studio flashes and I realized everytime I plugged them into my sb800, My D70 would feel "electrified"

At first, I lived with it... NOW I noticed something terrible... all my photos taken has strange repeating patterns over areas that are supposed to be out of focus. Such patterns only manifest when I plugged the jin bei lights in... and not on normal SB800 usage.

I then guessd that it was probably cos the china 2 pin plugs given were not grounded. I changed the plugs to Singapore 3 pin with grounding... Still no avail...

Untitled-1_copy1.jpg

Please advise ! ! !

arampan said:

Please advise ! ! !
I assume you are taking about connecting the SB800 to the studio lights via the sync cable?which is why the leakage affects your D70 via the sync cable
Anyway there is some current leakage. Most of the metal parts will most probably be affected, so check the main power innet where the power transformer is. Like what vince123123 suggested, use the test pen and probe where is the actual leakage.

sfhuang said:
Just out of curiosity, is this a known problem with these China lights?

Maybe... All three flash units the same problem.:angry:

arampan said:

Untitled-1_copy1.jpg

Please advise ! ! !

check you main plug gound got install nicely or not.

Took a trip down to East Gear for them to check out the lights.

After analysis, it seems that the strange pixel pattern is caused by my un-conventional way of shooting.

The JinBei 180 can only set full power, 1/2 power and 1/4 power
To compensate for the excess brightness, I set my shutter above 1/500
I used their radio transmitter instead of a cable and it seems that any value faster than 1/500 produced this effect. So it seems that it is caused by my D70.

:think: Interesting :think:

Anybody able to reproduce this effect with a D70 and settings faster than 1/500????

arampan said:
Took a trip down to East Gear for them to check out the lights.

After analysis, it seems that the strange pixel pattern is caused by my un-conventional way of shooting.

The JinBei 180 can only set full power, 1/2 power and 1/4 power
To compensate for the excess brightness, I set my shutter above 1/500
I used their radio transmitter instead of a cable and it seems that any value faster than 1/500 produced this effect. So it seems that it is caused by my D70.

:think: Interesting :think:

Anybody able to reproduce this effect with a D70 and settings faster than 1/500????

why are you shooting at beyond the flash sync speed?
if it's too bright, move the lights back.

alechim said:
poor QC probably

Could also be local humidity levels. The insulating plastic cover of one of my light switches feels a bit "buzzy" at times, too ...

I bought one. So far, no problem on leakage. Usually, we take studio shoot without exceed our camera flash sync speed. I personally think that the strange image is due to wrong setting of your camera shutter speed.

foxtwo said:
why are you shooting at beyond the flash sync speed?
if it's too bright, move the lights back.

move lights back not the solution as it will light up the surrounding areas.

needed to light only the model and not the surrounding

arampan said:

get hold of some hard cardboard paper or something & shade the lights then.
other things u can do:
- use diffusor (tracing paper) infront of lights
- use neutral density filters infront of lense
- use a smaller aperture
- use a lower iso

using a faster shutter speed does not offset flash exposure. a flash regardless lighting with 1/1 or 1/4 power, still uses the same speed. only the intensity of brightness is different.

arampan said:

I tot that shutter speed have no effect when using flash? only aperture have effect.

If you need "directional" lighting control... I tink you need snooks (or whatever you call that thingy).

only up to the max sync speed of your camera.

CYRN said:
I tot that shutter speed have no effect when using flash? only aperture have effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.