Jetty at labrador park

Status
Not open for further replies.

redname

Oct 8, 2009
Hi, something i took at labrador park.

4129099791_7be21e51b9.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I will like feedback on the composition and exposure.

I have composed & exposed the picture this way because I want to show the color of the sky and also the reflection of the lights at the water, that contrast against the jetty.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
i meant for this picture to be like those used for motivational posters, somehow giving others a peaceful, relaxing mood

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
the surrounding was veri peaceful and claim, tht's y i hope this picture can illustrate that

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
i felt that the contrast between the jetty and the surrounding can by better.

i do like the picture cause i felt that at least the pciture showed the mood i wanted to show

first off..the lights are nice.. secondly, the mood is there along with the scenery.

however, ambient lighting is horrible..(not ur fault though). the jetty is very murky. there's just not enough light on it.

warning: ur background is starting to merge and fight with ur jetty. we can see the bright lights of the bg though the jetty. a bit distracting.

might be better if u took the photo earlier.

to be bluntly honest, i find this photograph a mess.

this is what i see, a sea of bobbing lights, messy reflections, a mass of shadows, and a nice sky.

we weren't there, so you'll have to view the image from your viewer's point of view. i am sure it was a beautiful night, but you have to let go of it, and look upon your image with fresh eyes. no one else was there with you - have you presented an accurate picture of what you saw and felt?

thanks everyone :)

yup it's kinda dark, better to take pics around dusk (not too bright) or early morning (not too dark). hth

yup it's kinda dark, better to take pics around dusk (not too bright) or early morning (not too dark). hth

ok point taken.

guess i shldn't have taken up so much time at the other side of labrador tht time and missed the moment for this shot

I somehow felt if there aren't so many building lights faraway, and worst, from your this angle, they seems "sitting" on the jetty itself? With only the sky, the jetty, the jetty lights, the reflection, maybe the pic itself would be simpler and you will get the "peaceful" feel you wanna get.

But I also felt the lower support poles of the jetty kinda distracting too, it's not just those simple zizag support poles, kinda messy, thus not helping your overall pic.

Just my two cents worth. :)

To me true the colors are a little dark, probably due to the low shutter speed and the night.

I think it will look great if the aperture is set to f/2.8 because at 2.8 bokeh effect is not too much unless its really a very far object, than do a point focus on the end of the jetty. raise the horizon a little. and longer shutter speeds. since its f/2.8, try using the lowest ISO probably like Lo1.0 (equivalent to ISO 100) or max ISO 200 with a shutter speed of 10" or more depending on lighting conditions too.

Hope this works. (=

Yes, it's a bit messy. Skies always look good at sunset, but the difficulty is in getting a good picture out of it.

Not a fan of the jetty being put in the middle of your composition as well. Your foreground is too much and does not contribute much. Perhaps you were standing at the wrong location. Maybe you shd have gone on the jetty to get more sky and that sliver of orange more pronounced.

It would be better off if you just shoot the reflections on the water ;)

good effort.

use a tripod next time.

I like the overall mood. I would have a little less sky, more water reflection and definitely take it a bit earlier for better detail. The light changes very quickly, within minutes, during sunset/sunrise. And a tripod is definitely needed.

Wow, it is beautiful.

I feel its quite in middle.. either should go for the cloud features or go for the reflection features. can apply 2/3 rules to the subject you choose.

I'm open to opinions

Hi there, good attempt to capture mood - I will start with what I like when I first looked at the photo;

1) your attempt to capture the light of dusk - dark blue sky contrasting with the artificial night lamps of the jetty - which was orange.
2) Interesting mix of colours; blue, orange and spotted white.

However, in terms of composition - I find that more needs to be done since it shows a mere snapshot of a jetty which spanned the entire photo - perhaps, you could re-compose to get a better effect.

Also, in terms of composition, 50% sky and 50% sea is to be avoided unless the special circumstances warrant it.

My 2 cents :)

I would suggest to have a longer exposure time for this snap to smoothen out the water and give it a better exposure.. for me its quite underexposed. :)

Cheers.

I would suggest to have a longer exposure time for this snap to smoothen out the water and give it a better exposure.. for me its quite underexposed. :)

Cheers.

tried tht but i cldn't get a steady cause i didn't have my tripod with me, in fact, i didn't own a tripod tht time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.