JESUS who carried the cross and died for us

Status
Not open for further replies.

richliow

Jul 9, 2005
I took this picture yesterday. Pleas comment on the focus, ie should the focus be on the cross or on JESUS, and how i can improve it. :cool:

20051025_Jesus.jpg

Below is PS edited version, is it visually appealing? ;)
20051025_Jesus_BW.jpg

Was there a negative effect on this picture? (pardon my french but im not very versatile with photoshop).

My suggestion is that Jesus be kept in focus, but its kinda hard to see like that.

But good pic anyways!

ilovehouse said:
Was there a negative effect on this picture? (pardon my french but im not very versatile with photoshop).

My suggestion is that Jesus be kept in focus, but its kinda hard to see like that.

But good pic anyways!

there was a greyscale with invert.... was playing around with it, when i gotten this effect....
btw, for the second pic, you as a viewer, what do you feel?

I fear i might not have been able to capture JESUS's helplessness. and suffering.

Oh, I am still learning how to grab a good focus by the way =)

i think your copyright is kinda misplaced. it looks totally out of place there.

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
i think your copyright is kinda misplaced. it looks totally out of place there.

oh i put the copyright for fun one,
saw some of the forumers putting...
so try my first time :bsmilie:

richliow said:
oh i put the copyright for fun one,
saw some of the forumers putting...
so try my first time :bsmilie:

Took the advice of some forummers...
heres a PS new version.

20051025_Jesus_BW1.jpg

hmm i understand what you're trying to create. but somehow it doesnt work out for me. it's too cold a picture, lacking in emotion. the cross is too straight, the edges are too smooth. the actual cross was just raw, unprocessed wood.

the cross overshadows the figure of Jesus at the bottom. plus, the figure of jesus, is a cold statue-like thing. no facial expression, nothing.

if u wanted to tkae a photo like that, why not get someone real to realyl carry a wooden cross? it would bring across the emotions and meaning that should be present in such a photo. :)

hmm i understand what you're trying to create. but somehow it doesnt work out for me. it's too cold a picture, lacking in emotion. the cross is too straight, the edges are too smooth. the actual cross was just raw, unprocessed wood.

yah....its really a on the cold side... hmmm....lets say i only have a smooth cross, and that stature...how can we shoot it better to try to inject some warmth into it?

the cross overshadows the figure of Jesus at the bottom. plus, the figure of jesus, is a cold statue-like thing. no facial expression, nothing.

I should have focus more on JESUS. thanks for that critique though =)

if u wanted to tkae a photo like that, why not get someone real to realyl carry a wooden cross? it would bring across the emotions and meaning that should be present in such a photo. :)

haha....then I might have to get xie shao guang liao...:bsmilie:

I dont really know much about photography, but if you dont mind i want to comment on your text. If you think my comment not appriorate, just skip it.

A standard copyright in the corner of the picture is already a standard.
If you want to put something different, please consider :
- Does it enhance the image?
- Does it have a purpose?
- Does it appriorate?

I'm not disagree with put copyright big big one or put a chunk of text on the picture, but it must have a purpose. I know some people they use text to enhance the image. They put text in empty space to make it balance. Some use it to balancing the colour also. Some use typeface to inject the feel to the picture.
Think about what you can do with the text to enhance ur image, be it copyright or whatever text.

You took this through glass didn't you? Watch the reflections.

Edit--> On further inspection this may also possibly be what is commonly referred to as ghosting, caused by using uncoated or single-coated filters under certain lighting circumstances. It's either this or the above, but be careful nonetheless. Using a PL helps loads when shooting through glass.

IMHO, I think your framing is good. Much prefer the 2nd pic. Would like it if Jesus is more in focus and with more shadowing to make him stand out. The cross should be slightly OOF but seen. The bg is a little distracting for me - looks like there is a banana tree??

Juz a suggestion - maybe make it sepia and tweek with the contrast and lighting.

Anyway great job. Reminds me of Passion of Christ.

i would prefer a wider view with the compo from the jesus eye level up.
That should create more of a impact.

1st look at what are your content for this picture or what is the topic about? For a postal ads?
Focus is alway on the subject you want to talk about, Cross or Jesus?
If the shoot was not clear and no budget, then you can do some touch up with Photoshop later.
I'm a Film person, lately came into digital.

jesus.jpg

Just did some touch up on your picture, Sorry I have infringed your copyright.
But I'm not using it for any other purposed, is for your awareness.
You can do so much on touch up nowaday with digital, put in a watermark copyright.
It will help.

Good shot, What is your pictures use for?

AngelZhou said:
I dont really know much about photography, but if you dont mind i want to comment on your text. If you think my comment not appriorate, just skip it.

A standard copyright in the corner of the picture is already a standard.
If you want to put something different, please consider :
- Does it enhance the image?
- Does it have a purpose?
- Does it appriorate?

I'm not disagree with put copyright big big one or put a chunk of text on the picture, but it must have a purpose. I know some people they use text to enhance the image. They put text in empty space to make it balance. Some use it to balancing the colour also. Some use typeface to inject the feel to the picture.
Think about what you can do with the text to enhance ur image, be it copyright or whatever text.

Yup Noted . thanks :bsmilie:

nope was not shooting through glass...
the reflection came from the water puddles on the grass patches....

I shoot it immediately after the super heavy rain yesterday.

by the way...where was this taken?

it was taken at a cathedral near armenian street...
i had actually parked my car at the open space car park..

was at PP during the heavy rain....
then while walking back to the vehicle pass this cathedral...
saw all this nice statures.........

couldnt resist shooting the pic...

Next time when my skill improved...i will go back to shoot again,

Amen to that ?

doplee said:
1st look at what are your content for this picture or what is the topic about? For a postal ads?
Focus is alway on the subject you want to talk about, Cross or Jesus?
If the shoot was not clear and no budget, then you can do some touch up with Photoshop later.
I'm a Film person, lately came into digital.

jesus.jpg

Just did some touch up on your picture, Sorry I have infringed your copyright.
But I'm not using it for any other purposed, is for your awareness.
You can do so much on touch up nowaday with digital, put in a watermark copyright.
It will help.

Good shot, What is your pictures use for?

I think you did a great job there with the PS....
No worries about this particular copyright infringement.......
GOD prompted you to do something to this photo.
HE has a purpose in doing so...
So in this case, Hallelujah !!!
Maybe, he wants to let you know, HE is always around. =)

eng_keow said:
IMHO, I think your framing is good. Much prefer the 2nd pic. Would like it if Jesus is more in focus and with more shadowing to make him stand out. The cross should be slightly OOF but seen. The bg is a little distracting for me - looks like there is a banana tree??

Juz a suggestion - maybe make it sepia and tweek with the contrast and lighting.

Anyway great job. Reminds me of Passion of Christ.

Amen.
JESUS remembers you Bro.

btw, my shooting is mediocre..........
I have got loads to lend from you great folks here.

5399ef45.jpg

With kind permission from the author, Richliow, I reframed and edited the pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.