Jelutong Tower shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

harlequin2902

May 11, 2004
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of visiting the Jelutong Tower (Sime Forest) next Saturday morning (7th August) to shoot some of the early birds there. Weather permitting. Anybody wants to come along ?

Since we are doing mainly shooting from the top of the tower, I would like to keep the group small (the tower isn't really spacious at the top, and too much movement would cause it to sway a little :eek: ), so I think including myself, another 4 would be just nice. It will be great if at least one of you drives, because it's quite a long walk in from the main road :sweat:

What to expect ?

From a recent visit organized by a birdwatching friend, we managed to see some Asian Fairy Bluebirds, Woodpeckers, Bee Eaters, Starlings, Pigeons, Parakeets and a number of others I couldn't I.D due to my inexperience :D If we're lucky, we'll be able to see the Grey Headed Fish Eagle family from the top of the tower.

What you should bring :

- Binoculars
- umbrella or windbreaker in case it rains when we're there
- Tripod (must have !)
- your longest lens
- hm, breakfast ?

Those who are interested please add your CS nick to the list and PM me your contacts at the same time. I will disseminate the meeting info from there.

1. harlequin2902 (that's me)

Hope to see some of the experienced guys signing up - got lots to learn from you guys !

skyflash said:
Actually, the tower will vibrate when anyone step on the stairs. Do take note of the minor vibrations. :)

Yeah, that's right. That's why we have to be starting quite early before some of the joggers in the area come up for some fresh air after or midway through their jog :bsmilie: .

u'll prob find me there. Cautionary note to drivers, i couldn't find anywhere to PARK! short of SICC. Any members around? :p

Tagore said:
email me at tagore@starhub.net.sg if i did not get to read this.

Hi Tagore,

I replied to your e-mail already but will post here in case the others (esp. first timers) are wondering.

We usually pack our own breakfast and take it to the top where you can have it before shooting, after shooting, or while shooting like I've seen some people doing before :bsmilie: There are no seats at the top, but there are some wooden benches built into the structure on the other levels below.

okie, update. I just came back from the tower. There's no way u can park at bukit kallang service reservoir as it is a private road and there is a barrier blocking the entrance. U can either park at SICC (members only) or at the residential estate along Lornie Road. From Lornie, it is one heck of a long walk in, esp if u're carrying long lenses! Took me 40mins to walk in while carrying a 400mm, 1D, 70-200, flash and tripod. Terrok!

szekiat said:
okie, update. I just came back from the tower. There's no way u can park at bukit kallang service reservoir as it is a private road and there is a barrier blocking the entrance. U can either park at SICC (members only) or at the residential estate along Lornie Road. From Lornie, it is one heck of a long walk in, esp if u're carrying long lenses! Took me 40mins to walk in while carrying a 400mm, 1D, 70-200, flash and tripod. Terrok!

SICC has a carpark for guest

hmm....but u need to be signed in by a member at the gate. I got stopped.

szekiat said:
hmm....but u need to be signed in by a member at the gate. I got stopped.

Some people mentioned that if you tell the guards that you are going into the forest, they will actually let you through. Wonder how true is that? :dunno:

the barrier was locked. No one manning it. As for SICC carpark, i asked, they said members only. Unless there's a member on board the car. Tried it liao. btw, there were a lot of bee eaters when i went there yesterday.

Update :

1. harlequin2902
2. tagore
3. jbma
4. ccplim
5. szekiat (?)

That's it I guess.

See you guys on Saturday !

Pray for good weather.

I will be there too. hi I am newbie to the gang.
where can i get flash extender for 400mm lens? I think I need one for this shoot

Tagore said:
I will be there too. hi I am newbie to the gang.
where can i get flash extender for 400mm lens? I think I need one for this shoot

I think you can get it from Konota. :) You also got 400mm?

Thanks CCPLIM. Will get it on friday before shoot.
cya

szekiat said:
i'll be there...going in around 7
what abt u guys?

Yep, going in around that time also. We are going to walk in starting from that little hut :sweat: . If everybody is on time, I think we should be reaching the tower between 7:30-7:45am ?

Other than the cheapo zoom lens I have (70-300G), I'll be bringing my 480mm ED scope to try with my D70 in the field for the 1st time. Will give me effective 720mm on my D70 - but the problem is no metering, and I have to manual focus :sweat:.

Status
Not open for further replies.