Jeju in May

pentaprism

Jul 11, 2005
Hi everyone,

Heading to Jeju for about 4 days in May. Any advice on specific places/times to shoot? What is on your must-shoot list? Any regrets on shots missed after coming back?

P.S., Yes, I've read most of the search results on Jeju already. The pictures are beautiful and I'm really psyched.

Thanks!

Jeju is a very nice place with many different geological formations. Since you have done your research on the internet, then you decide what interests you most and go. You can easily self-drive over there, then you have all the freedom to stop where you want to capture the shots that you like. To me, I like rock formations. So the coastal areas interest me most. Even the IchuBong intrigues me though people think it is just flat land on top of a hill.

Jeju is a very nice place with many different geological formations. Since you have done your research on the internet, then you decide what interests you most and go. You can easily self-drive over there, then you have all the freedom to stop where you want to capture the shots that you like. To me, I like rock formations. So the coastal areas interest me most. Even the IchuBong intrigues me though people think it is just flat land on top of a hill.

Thanks Chooz. You're right. I guess I just didn't want to miss anything out. Thanks!

IMO

Mt. Hallasan would be awesome... But is a 6 hours up - 4 hours down hike, No cable cars though.

Otherwise those Eco-trails would be nice....

Try going Udo Island... it is nice too...

For IchuBong, it is full of tourists...

Last edited:
IMO

Mt. Hallasan would be awesome... But is a 6 hours up - 4 hours down hike, No cable cars though.

Otherwise those Eco-trails would be nice....

Try going Udo Island... it is nice too...

For IchuBong, it is full of tourists...

Thanks Kardis! Appreciate the tips. Any suggestions for sunrise/sunsets? Thanks!

IchuBong is known as sunrise peak *Hint*....

But to be honest, I have no idea how the sunrise at that place will be...

But if you asked me about sunrise on Korea Main land then it will be at the town of Sokcho

8521332612_7eb51c56f6_c.jpg

Thanks Chooz. You're right. I guess I just didn't want to miss anything out. Thanks!

Some Jeju photos to vet your appetite. The Jeju photos in this album were from a family trip, so there are lots of teddy bear photos from the Teddy Bear Museum:
Album - 2009 Korea - Jeju Island (Nov) | Photoshop.com

Good luck & Have fun!

Fantastic! Thanks very much for sharing!

Very inspiring. You went up during winter? wow. Read it's an 8-hour hike?

Thanks for sharing. Really love the colors and serenity in your shots.

It wasn't winter at that time, ending Autumn when the leaves are starting to fall off. However because of the altitude of Hallasan, it was snowing when we started at the entrance. And since we were not really well equipped for that hike, it took slightly longer than usual, a total of 10hrs in total

......Speechless......

You have my respect!

I visited Jeju last year during autumn.

Self drive if you wish to visit more places, immense flexibility, and this is especially so if you are chasing sunrise.

Woke up and started driving from 4+ am for this sunrise photo at Sunrise peak

8141449386_fb5acf7dbd_b.jpg

Mt Hallasan is actually not difficult to do. I went up Hallasan twice using different climbing trails, and all the while carrying > 10kg worth of food/camera/film etc.

Here is my photo / blog : Memories of Jeju and Seoul
Apart from itinerary, I did a small writeup on logistics as well

Ryan

Thank you for sharing. I'm starting to think maybe autumn is better. Ha ha! Rally like your frames. They are excellent and convey a sense of peace, even Zen-like quality.

Can't find the blog post about logistics/itinerary related to Jeju though - do you have a direct link?

Did find your excellent post on tilt/shift lense :) Wow.

Zarray, Thanks for sharing! It's like I'm already there!

Thank you for sharing. I'm starting to think maybe autumn is better. Ha ha! Rally like your frames. They are excellent and convey a sense of peace, even Zen-like quality.

Can't find the blog post about logistics/itinerary related to Jeju though - do you have a direct link?

Did find your excellent post on tilt/shift lense :) Wow.

Thanks for your kind comments pentaprism. t/s lenses are especially useful for making panoramas.

Memories of Jeju and Seoul

It is below the gallery - < click to show additional text >

Did not want to clutter the gallery because some of my other writeups are much longer, hence i kinda hid them

Ryan

I just went Jeju last month for 3d2n there. self-drive car rental so transport is pretty easy and relaxing especially when you have friends that can drive as well.
some images on my flickr you can see.
Jeju 2013 - a set on Flickr

sunrise with the seongsan silhouette is a must! wake up early and get there early so you can scout the location. if you like startrail, jeju is a good place as well since lesser light pollution.

places i covered:
mysterious road
seongsan
cheongjiyeon waterfall
teddy bear
submarine ride
seopjikoji

regrets i would say is not waking up the second morning to get the sunrise, and also can't bear the cold wind to take startrails.

must try: tangerine, orange chocolate, seafood hotpot, black pig (we find the normal marinated ones nicer)

Giantcanopy,

Thanks very much. I think you shouldn't hide it - it's great info!

Will drive slowly on Jeju!

Thank you.

Dylan,

Thanks for the tips! :)