F4, 1/1000s, 280mm, ISO 400
020428_small_12.jpg

F8, 1/200, 200mm, ISO100
020428_small_13.jpg

F8, 1/1000s, 117mm, ISO400
020428_small_14.jpg

F8, 1/500, 135mm, ISO400
020428_small_15.jpg

Well done. Practice certainly makes perfect. You are really a fine example of that. Must learn from u....

Nice pics, Tom. And they show the capabilities of the D60 very well.

Would be nice if you could share the settings - ISO, shutter speed, aperture etc.

great shots!! :thumbsup:

Megaweb, isomers007, Falcon, Darren, Goose: many thanks for your positive comments:) U made me feel worthwhile after such a tiring day, hehe....

This time I got higher hit rate compared to that of two weeks ago, but still missed lots of opportunities, especially flying birds. Will definitely go back very soon ;p Yes, practice makes a lot of difference. Fortunately, I don't worry about wasting films. Guess I will shoot in digital for at least 5-6 times b4 using slides. Waiting for that day to come, ha.

Will update this thread about my camera setting later coz dont have the original pix at hand. I did some post processing in PS. Cropping, increase of contrast, brightness, saturation, sharpness etc in certain levels. It makes the fianl results look more contrasty, colorful and sharp than those of the out-of-camera ones. Normally in such a day shooting, I take about 300~500 shots. My image tank was well used so I was never short of *films*. I use default camera setting, no increase of constrast, brightness, sharpness and saturation. Aperture Priority (Av) at most cases unless using flash (Manual mode) or fast-moving subject (Shutter Priority mode, Tv). For flying bird or the mandarin ducks, should use 1/1000s or at least 1/500s to freeze the action. Sometimes cannot get a correct aperture value if it's overcast (f value blinking as a warning), but never mind can adjust contrast and brightness later in PS. Most importantly, a picutre must be sharp otherwise no point to keep it. That's why I pushed ISO to 400 (but seldom beyond that) whenever light became dim. This is one of the big advantages of digital: may change ISO value easily. A dilema here: no sun no sharp pix, hot sun then getting tired faster. I have to say it's not an easy work but when come back and see one or two good results, all pains are gone...

I like the ducks. Very sharp and good colour saturation.

so colourful! i like!
the colours of the ducks is SO rich!!! wow...D-SLR...when can i get it? all i can say is WoWoWoWoWoW!!!

Well, I didn't waste too many *films* for shooting humingbirds. I always pre-focus (usually focus the water bottle), and use exposure lock to pre-meter the humingbird. But the original pix out of camera were very dark, guess it's the problem of my flash - Canon 420EX - not very powerful. I increased the brightness in PS and it looks okay now.

I have updated the camera setting, sorry for doing this quite late:embrass:

Wow, the first pic very nice and sharp! Love the colours :thumbsup:

Hi

good shots, but i think you need to work on the composition a little. you cropped a little too much for most of them; as a result, the birds all look boxed / caged in, with not enough breathing space.

for the mandarin ducks swimming, u may want to consider giving the front of a duck a little space - some room to swim into. Ditto for the pelican taking off - it really needs more room to walk into, and its wings really need more space to flap in.....u've clipped the wings / legs in some shots.

otherwise, the colors are great, pictures are sharp. i can see u're putting the D60 to good use and having great fun! :)

Thanks Red Dawn, yr suggestions r very good indeed. I found I was too aggressive in zooming in the subject :embrass: . In many cases I didn't get full size of the subject, maybe it's the reason that it looks very small in the viewfinder:p Will definitely improve in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.