Not open for further replies.

Simon

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
ClubSNAP
simon.clubsnap.org
Canon EOS D30 with 70-200L f/2.8 & Kenko Pro 300 2X TC

Went JBP again today, took very few shots. Enjoy.

Sun Bathing

acw.jpg

400mm 1/160 @ f/8 with fill flash

Hornbill

acu.jpg

180mm 1/200 @ f/8 with fill flash set -1

Cattle Egret

acs.jpg

280mm 1/250 @ f/8

Ostrich

acv.jpg

170mm 1/160 @ f/8 with fill flash -1

Simon, now I know how. Don't care about the background. Set to M model and set aperture to 8~16 and shutter speed 1/focal length, flash on, throw the background to dark. Will get a sharp pic. Am I right?

Simon, your hornbill doesn't have the flash reflection. Did you use the diffuser on your flash?

Here is mine. The flash reflection is harsh. :(

aaj.jpg

1st one a bit blur;p Like 2&3 ones. Care share yr pix setting?

Originally posted by tomshen
1st one a bit blur;p Like 2&3 ones. Care share yr pix setting?

Yap, 1st one camera shake, must always use tripod ;p

Great pics! thanks for sharing the settings too! hmm... will go there to try after my exams....

ah simon... did you find a parking ticket on your vehicle, when you were about to leave?
any idea what is it for???

Got a technical question here, for the hornbill shot and ostrich shot, you mentioned fill flash -1. Is it fill flash or is it a normal flash? Since the background is completely dark, and the fact that you used something like 1/160s and f8, suggests that it isn't fill flash right?

Sorry I'm not nit-picking lah...just want to make sure my concept of fill-flash is correct.

Nice shots, but your previous ones with the russian mirror lens are better, esp the one with the bird sniffing armpit. :)

Originally posted by mEc
ah simon... did you find a parking ticket on your vehicle, when you were about to leave?
any idea what is it for???

Nope, didn't get it

Originally posted by Tweek
Got a technical question here, for the hornbill shot and ostrich shot, you mentioned fill flash -1. Is it fill flash or is it a normal flash? Since the background is completely dark, and the fact that you used something like 1/160s and f8, suggests that it isn't fill flash right?

Sorry I'm not nit-picking lah...just want to make sure my concept of fill-flash is correct.

Nice shots, but your previous ones with the russian mirror lens are better, esp the one with the bird sniffing armpit. :)

Yes it's fill flash, -1 mean I’ve stop down one stop for the flash, (Stoping how much of the flash depends on the subject distant and colors) so the flash isn't so powerful, just enough to touch the subject and give a bit of lights on the eyes.

1/160 @ f/8 is very possible to get the background black. What you need to do is, before shooting, always chose a darker and more consistence color background, move around, and don’t just stay at a single place and shoot.

I have took very few shots this time, my intention of going JBP was just to get some sun, relax and chitchat with fellow members

Originally posted by Simon

Yes it's fill flash, -1 mean I’ve stop down one stop for the flash, (Stoping how much of the flash depends on the subject distant and colors) so the flash isn't so powerful, just enough to touch the subject and give a bit of lights on the eyes.

1/160 @ f/8 is very possible to get the background black. What you need to do is, before shooting, always chose a darker and more consistence color background, move around, and don’t just stay at a single place and shoot.

I see...but you mean the ambient light was enough to allow 1/200s and f/8 for the hornbill shot?

Originally posted by Tweek

I see...but you mean the ambient light was enough to allow 1/200s and f/8 for the hornbill shot?

I don't think so. That's the reason why he used fill flash. If the ambient light is enough, the fill flash could overexpose the pic.

Originally posted by mpenza

I don't think so. That's the reason why he used fill flash. If the ambient light is enough, the fill flash could overexpose the pic.

in that case, what is the definition of fill flash? All along to me, fill flash has been a supplementary or secondary light source to remove shadows and add eye-twinkle etc, while taking the shot at the exposure of the ambient light. In the case of the hornbill, it seems like the flash is the primary light source, so do we still refer to it as fill flash?

mpenza, if ambient light is enough, fill-flash will not overexpose the pic if fired at an appropriate amount. Many of Edmund's, Darren's and megaweb's bird/animal shots at ambient light are taken with fill-flash and exposure is excellent too.

Got the same question here...

I read my 420EX manual... seems it only mentioned fill flash in P mode.

Can u please explain.

thank

Status
Not open for further replies.