JB trip with Nikon D700

fevernova

Aug 12, 2003
Marina Bay
Visit site
Anyone been to JB (without car) with their DSLRs? I was thinking of bringing it along but am afraid that I might get robbed. We're going there in a group of 9 with 6 guys and 3 girls...Just a random question...Alot of ppl are telling me to just leave it at home...:dunno:

One suggestion is to dress down as much as possible & use cheapo backpack not flashy camera bags. Tap over the Nikon logo, model nbr & Fx logo so ppl will not see what cam it is to attract their attention. Try not to behave too much like 'Singaporean' so they(robbers) will not notice you ppl:sweat: Avoid City Sq where it is notorious

One suggestion is to dress down as much as possible & use cheapo backpack not flashy camera bags. Tap over the Nikon logo, model nbr & Fx logo so ppl will not see what cam it is to attract their attention. Try not to behave too much like 'Singaporean' so they(robbers) will not notice you ppl:sweat: Avoid City Sq where it is notorious

I don't have a camera bag....:sweat: I carry my cam and laptop with my tote most of the time....:sweat: The cheapest looking bag I have is this army coloured crumpler that I'm using....

actually going around Europe with a DSLR is more risky getting it stolen then in JB i think ...

Cause in JB, things don't get stolen....They get ROBBED! :bsmilie::bsmilie::dunno:

i duuno... i know jb is not as safe as spore.. but i also know and feel a lot more unsafe in lots of other country compared to jb...

jb safety also made worst with a clear contrast btw spore..

for those taking SLR to jb.. just dont wonder into quiet areas... i mean, i know a lot of photography dudes there going ard with their dSLR ard JB and i so far never hear them getting into trouble..

when carrying ur bag with ur gears inside, just be more careful when in queue and stuff...

i duuno... i know jb is not as safe as spore.. but i also know and feel a lot more unsafe in lots of other country compared to jb...

jb safety also made worst with a clear contrast btw spore..

for those taking SLR to jb.. just dont wonder into quiet areas... i mean, i know a lot of photography dudes there going ard with their dSLR ard JB and i so far never hear them getting into trouble..

when carrying ur bag with ur gears inside, just be more careful when in queue and stuff...

Thanks for the inputs! I'll take note...Since its a one day trip where we'll most likely be going for food and some light shopping, I think I'll stick with a point and shoot....

You can get rob in singapore also ;) not just JB.

Good point there b'cos 'Low crime does not equate to No crime':wink:

Even P&S can get stolen from my personal experience. While watching a spectacular fountain show at Bellagio in LV and while all eyes were glued on the show, the P&S hanging on the pram got snitched w/o our knowledge:eek:

You can get rob in singapore also ;) not just JB.

Good point there b'cos 'Low crime does not equate to No crime':wink:

Even P&S can get stolen from my personal experience. While watching a spectacular fountain show at Bellagio in LV and while all eyes were glued on the show, the P&S hanging on the pram got snitched w/o our knowledge:eek:

Of course that goes without saying. But logically speaking, we all know that the chances of one getting his/her DSLR robbed in Singapore is alot lower than that in JB which is why this thread was created.

One can argue that you never know when a robber may strike but I've yet to see anyone talk about it in this forum....

Anyway, I think Spain is also another dangerous place to have your stuff stolen...

I went there alone by a bike last year. It was my 1st exploring trip intended for photo taking. Hook my DSLR on my neck during riding and walking to all attraction points, so far nothing suspicious was observed. I stayed up to 8pm waiting for clear of traffic jam.

Anyhow, it's all depends on you. Don't make yourself appeared as weak or vulnerable. :)

Just bring it and shoot. I dun understand why people get a camera and keep it in the cabinet.

Are you on a paid assignment?

If not, it might be better to use a simple/compact and enjoy the trip rather than worry.

That's actually what a Mysian photo furum old bird shared with me when I asked a similar question. However, a group of 6 guys, IF they look capable of physically taking care of things, might tilt the balance somewhat.

And no, in most instances, Singaporeans will still look and sound like Singaporeans no matter where they go, and I'm not talking about the typical SG in MY show-offs. The locals can still tell.

However, Donnydan has a point. Besides equipment, the safety of the group may be involved. Your call, ultimately.

Last edited:
Not worth the risk...just go and enjoy your shopping and makan at popular place if you really need to go.....I ever witnessed drug addicts with so call Aids needler demanding money from car driver along parking lot at street.....it happens so quickly that before you realized....they have long gone with bike riding accomplice :sweat:

Of course that goes without saying. But logically speaking, we all know that the chances of one getting his/her DSLR robbed in Singapore is alot lower than that in JB which is why this thread was created.

One can argue that you never know when a robber may strike but I've yet to see anyone talk about it in this forum....

Anyway, I think Spain is also another dangerous place to have your stuff stolen...

I think there are many DSLRs and D700 in JB. Based on what you think your D700 will be 'robbed' in JB? It depends on your safety awareness, nothing to do with the equipment.

bro, let's put it this way....the chance of a D700 getting stolen is lower compared to a handphone with camera getting grabbed....

Black tape your camera :thumbsup: