JB good food and shopping.. recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
hi guys,

Will be going into JB for a day with my family tomorrow, basically we're not going to drive in, just going to take public bus in. Family quite skeptical about driving SG car north.

So where are the places we can get really nice and good food around city square or Larkin area? Both of which are easily accessible by public bus.

For the girls, shopping is equally important for them. They really like Boutiques like 'Somerset Bay' in City Square, where else is good for shopping too?

Feel free to give any recommendations. Ok thanks in advance :)

There's a new shopping mall in JB touted as the largest so far called "Aeon Tebrau City".

It's near to Carrfour. Heard that there's a free shuttle available from City Square to get there. Think it's the bus stop opposite Macdonald. (not sure, you gotta ask and check with the people there).

I have not been there, so that's all I can offer you.

alba said:
There's a new shopping mall in JB touted as the largest so far called "Aeon Tebrau City".

It's near to Carrfour. Heard that there's a free shuttle available from City Square to get there. Think it's the bus stop opposite Macdonald. (not sure, you gotta ask and check with the people there).

Very useful information Alba, thanks!! :thumbsup:

Ya agreed with alba, it is the new Jusco at Tebrau City, a new residential area right opposite Johor Jaya. Think u can spent at least half day plus by walking ard there.

Food wise, can try Taman Sentosa for bak-kut-teh or those restaurant along the area.

alba said:

Food wise, my favourite hangout is the stretch of road near Eden Hotel along the shoreline facing Singapore.

The BBQ stingray is fantastic!! Not like anything you can find in Singapore!
The current 'IN' dish is a vegetable dish. Think they cut kailan leaf into long shreds and deep fried them till it curls.

You will only see a plate of strangling, dark and curly bits which resemble nothing like a veggie.

I call it the pan fry veggie 'African' style.... Fei1Zhou1Chao3Cai3 :sweatsm:
Something novel but dun think it's nutritious.

Thanks guys! I will definitely go and try the delicacy along the shoreline, alba Hehe...

We're planning to go for a good claypot bak kut teh in the morning at taman sentosa, then go to Aeon Tebrau City. Saw their website, they don't have free shuttle bus on mon-thu. :( so is it far from taman sentosa? cheap to take a cab? haha

Thanks guys!

My family and i enjoyed the trip very much. Plenty of shopping for the girls at Jusco! haha.. We managed to take a cab to Eden hotel, and walk around the duty free shops, then we had our dinner there.

alba, we tried to ask for the fried vege dish, but nobody seems to know it. Finally we settled for '928'.. there're lotsa 'zhu2 chao3' store there, their menu about the same.. there's a person doing the Stingray, outdoor, and it's so nice! Especially the samba... :thumbsup: I almost salivate whilst typing this. Their hotplate deer meat is also nice.. Their bamboo shell kind of seafood is also interesting.. However the rest of the stuffs like claypot tofu and samba kangkong isn't that fasinating.. but 6 of us (5 adults 1 children) ate really a lot and only cost us RM90+.. cheap man! I ate so much i had a hard time squeezing into the taxi.. Haha.. Somemore plus the sea breeze and peaceful surrounding, it's really a nice dining experience.

So is there any zhu2 chao3 store there that is particularly nice? I'll definitely want to go again, drive if possible.. It's not so far away from custom.

many more makan places.....used to go JB

now U not afraid to get robbed?

ricohflex said:
many more makan places.....used to go JB

now U not afraid to get robbed?

Go in big group, it's ok. Be humble and don't flash personal wealth around, then it will lower the likelihood of becoming a victim.

Glad you guys had a good time! :)

behyx said:
alba, we tried to ask for the fried vege dish, but nobody seems to know it.

Hmm.... That's strange :think:
This is the dish that they usually tout. There's a name but I can't remember.
They never fail to emphasize that 'it' will be a surprise and it's 'something' that you have never tried before....

Anyway, my friends like different operators along that stretch of road, it's hard to recommend. So I think you can make it a mission to find a tse-char stall that you like :lovegrin:

BTW, how much was the cab fare from custom to Aeon Tebrau Jusco and from there to Eden garden? TIA

alba said:
Glad you guys had a good time! :)

Hmm.... That's strange :think:
This is the dish that they usually tout. There's a name but I can't remember.
They never fail to emphasize that 'it' will be a surprise and it's 'something' that you have never tried before....

Anyway, my friends like different operators along that stretch of road, it's hard to recommend. So I think you can make it a mission to find a tse-char stall that you like :lovegrin:

BTW, how much was the cab fare from custom to Aeon Tebrau Jusco and from there to Eden garden? TIA

Ok 5 adults and 1 child squeeze into a cab. Not permitted actually.. Hehe..

Custom to Jusco - RM20
Jusco to Eden - RM25
Eden to custom - RM7

Status
Not open for further replies.