JB City Square renovations + many youngsters pushing "scratch&win" scam

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
If you are planning on going to JB City Square, note it is under internal renovations.
Parts of it still operating.

More Singaporeans fall for "Scratch and Win" scam in JB

[video=youtube;oRqOh8Nciwc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRqOh8Nciwc[/video]

JB youngsters hanging around overhead bridges pushing scratch and win scams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIrnICl2Pmo

There is big signboard warning tourists walking over from the JBCIQ into City Square, to beware of Scratch and Win scams.

You never fail to be accosted by packs of roving youngsters (usually Chinese) trying to push this scam onto tourists.
They also hang around the overhead pedestrian bridges nearby.

It is a sad indictment of the lack of opportunities for JB youth. They have to resort to this to make a living.
Needless to say, the people behind these scams are gangsters who just exploit the plight of the JB youth.
This reflects on that country as a whole.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warning

This reminds me of a scam that I almost got into, many years back

There was a time when those MLM companies was very much active. That time I was walking down orchard road and was approached by some people doing survey.

I was made to do a questionnaire regarding travel and vacations. Upon completing I got a scratch and win card, and won a 3day2nite stay at a overseas hotel. I was led to a office in shaw building.

In the office were many chairs and round tables, "professional looking" people were seen taking to people like me

I was made to sit while their collegue prepare my prize for me, meanwhile they started selling me a hotel timeshare programme since they know I travel a lot( from the questionnaire)

The timeshare programme was good for me because it made travelling look really cheap

Fortunately for me, at that time I was really poor, I had less than $2000 in my bank account. That package was about $15k or so.

No matter how they try to hard sell me, I couldn't sign on the papers coz I have no money.and I finally told them told them the truth directly they, suddenly reduced the price to $10k then later to $5k and say I could pay in installments. That was when I know something was fishy

I tried to get myself out by saying I am interested in the 5k package but need to borrow cash from my parents. Before I left, I asked or my "prize" and they told me it'll be ready when I come back. Of course I never did

Later those hotel timeshare companies was exposed after many complaints were made

People complained that they could never book any rooms as they were always full

Some tricks were also exposed, for eg, the questionnaire that I answered targeted potiential people. I remembered it asked the frequency of my travels and the amount I spend each time. Then they will pick out a card(with prize)from the bottom of the stack. If I hardly travel or do not like to travel, they'll pick a card from the top of the stack where the prize will be a pen or some stationary with their logo

nothing new, this scam has been in Malaysia for more than 10 years. as long as one is not greedy, be realistic there is no such big frog jumping on the street, u will not fall into trap.

I encountered a similar scam while backpacking alone to KL, a young girl approached me sounding very enthu about me winning some stuff and was asked to take a taxi to somewhere, I was dead broke plus i saw a distance away another teen repeating the same thing to another tourist, I knew something was fishy, plus the girl had a prepared speech when I have yet to scratch the card, almost as if she knew whats in it. Examining the card future showed no T&C and no address or company names

Last edited:
Any idea on the progress of the renovation at City Square?

As the old saying goes... "If its too good to be true, it probably is..." :think:

Any idea on the progress of the renovation at City Square?

they've moved onto renovating the other end of the bldg (below the cinema)

Aiyo got sign board people still fall for the scam. :dunno: greedy Singaporeans

i heard that ironically some of these scratch and win scam people , scammed the aunt of a powerful Singapore underworld figure and they got severely beaten up by the JB affiliate lol!

serves them right. i wish i was there to watch

nedy77 said:
Thanks for the warning

This reminds me of a scam that I almost got into, many years back

There was a time when those MLM companies was very much active. That time I was walking down orchard road and was approached by some people doing survey.

I was made to do a questionnaire regarding travel and vacations. Upon completing I got a scratch and win card, and won a 3day2nite stay at a overseas hotel. I was led to a office in shaw building.

In the office were many chairs and round tables, "professional looking" people were seen taking to people like me

I was made to sit while their collegue prepare my prize for me, meanwhile they started selling me a hotel timeshare programme since they know I travel a lot( from the questionnaire)

The timeshare programme was good for me because it made travelling look really cheap

Fortunately for me, at that time I was really poor, I had less than $2000 in my bank account. That package was about $15k or so.

No matter how they try to hard sell me, I couldn't sign on the papers coz I have no money.and I finally told them told them the truth directly they, suddenly reduced the price to $10k then later to $5k and say I could pay in installments. That was when I know something was fishy

I tried to get myself out by saying I am interested in the 5k package but need to borrow cash from my parents. Before I left, I asked or my "prize" and they told me it'll be ready when I come back. Of course I never did

I went to this one as well ! Maybe i saw you before ha ha
But then, i know that it is a scam straight away. But stay on to listen to their selling and "learn" their tricks and see the "show".
Free lesson.
When i said i want to leave, they kind of stop me from leaving the place if i don't buy any package.
"Pressure Selling".
I told them "stay away or i call the police now". They lppl.

legs are our own. mouth are our own. hands are our own.

walk out
say no
don't sign, don't press ATM. press 999 if need.