JB Chingay Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conan

Dec 30, 2003
Singapore
www.skylightimages.info
Hi Everyone! Looking to shoot next year's Chingay parade - the Johor Bahru one :) Does anyone know the exact dates for this?

Thanks for the info! There's a JB Outing Group that organized a shoot there last year. I thoroughly enjoyed the parade - it was fun and organic. You can shoot, eat and dance on the street along with the rest of the city :)

This is interesting. Wondering if there is plan for this year?

I made some enquiries for Chingay 2014 at JB. Here's what I hv found out:-

1) What are the dates for Chingay 2014 at JB?
Traditionally, the Chingay is a 3-day religious celebration. On the 20th day of first lunar month, the Old Temple deities will exit the temple and park themselves at the temporary shrine at Jalan Ulu Ayer Molek. On the 22nd day of the first lunar month, they will return into the temple. So with reference to this coming Chingay 2014 in Feb:-
- 20th day of the Lunar New Year falls on 19th Feb 2014
- 21st day of the Lunar New Year falls on 20th Feb 2014
- 22nd day of the Lunar New Year falls on 21st Feb 2014

2) Which date is the date for the main parade (street parade)?
The street parade is traditionally held in the evening of the 21st day of the first lunar month. If you count from 31 Jan as the first day of the first lunar month, the 21st day should fall on Feb 20, 2014.

3) Is the start point still at the Old Temple along Jalan Trus?
On the 20th day, the start point is at the Old Temple. (This is for the ritual procession of the temple deities)

If you are referring to the street parade on the 21st day (i.e. on 20th Feb 2014), the answer is, NO. The street parade will actually assemble along the route that exits from Jalan Ulu Ayer Molek and will span the entire length of Jalan Yahya Awal, up to the front of the JB Convent school.

4) Will there be a disruption of bus services along the route from SGP to JB?
As you may know, traffic comes to a virtual standstill because of road closures but city bus services are still on - maybe through alternate routes - and bus services from Singapore-JB-Singapore will not be disrupted. Just expect delays because of the commuters and road closures.

From my point of view for those who do not drive and looking at public transport, you can board SBS 170 (blue plate) at Kranji MRT Station, travel to SGP Immigration and clear immigration, hop on same bus again towards JB Immigration and clear immigration, travel all the way ending at Kota Raya Bus Terminal in JB. This will also be the bus terminal that you board SBS 170 (blue plate) for your return trip back to SG.

Take a look at the map to view the proximity of the area of Kota Raya Bus Terminal, Jalan Ulu Ayer Molek (assembly area for the parade), Jalan Yahya Awal (route of the street parade):- https://maps.google.com.sg/maps?q=t...ntral+kota+raya&radius=15000&t=m&z=17&iwloc=A

For those who are planning to go and photograph the street parade on the 21st day of the Lunar New Year (i.e. Feb 20th, 2014) which will take place in the evening, you may wish to consider to plan for a whole day outing rather than just going for the evening street parade.

You can plan your morning & afternoon to take a photowalk & makan along Johor bahru Heritage Trail...all within walking distance. More info at the following links:-
1) http://www.malaysia-traveller.com/johor-bahru-heritage-trail.html
2) http://johorkaki.blogspot.sg/2013/06/old-jb-town-heritage-food-trail-at.html

You can have morning breakfast prata and coffee at the hawker centre adjacent to Kotaya Raya Bas Sentral when you arrive. Nearby is the Church of the Immaculate Conception with its gothic architecture. Then you walk along the routes of the heritage trail. Eat at Hua Mui. Continue with your walk. have early dinner. Prepare to photograph the street parade and return back to SG.

Hope this info helps.

This year it would be on 20th Feb, Thursday night. Since it is on weekend, I do not think there would be strong interest to come over to JB.

Here is my experience to share. proceed to 行宫 as early as 5-6pm. All the performance participant will gather near there, good chance to shoot. and start to walk with the parade from there to City Square area. that would take you easily 3hours, walk and shoot.

From city square, you could walk to CIQ and take bus back. Check your timing. if u miss the last bus, then jialat.

Equipment wise, wide angle to 50mm will be good. make sure you have enough capabilities to shoot in low light with fast moving subject. Flash, video light, large aperture would be useful.

I am travelling on that day, have to give it a miss this year. Good luck, and pls share the picture from the outing.

Thanks for the info, Michael! I was there last year and was hoping to see the JBOG group. Err... that does 行宫 mean?

Jb行宫is the temple near the Chinese cemetery

20th Feb is a weekday so would only be an outing for people who are not working on thursday.

Mike, Lester thanks for bringing up information for this event !

IF/WHEN an outing date is firm and someone is taking leadership/ownership of organizing this outing, please start a new thread with such details thanks

Shutting this thread as this section is for firm outings with firm dates, timings, locations etc etc

Hope u understand thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.