Jazz Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by extreme2

Aiya... Bob James not bad mah...

eh.... i dun say bob james bad....i just like the last fomation of fourplay.l...which got 3 fav player...lee, bob and nathan....so now inly bob and nathan there....

i like bob james also....but joe sample is my fav....

Sweet.. good to know someone who appreciates fine Jazz. :) listening her Bossa Nova album now actually.

I'm in love with Chesky records. Tons of gems hidden under that label.

Anyone heard of Dave's True Story?

Originally posted by rty

Finally I have found someone who like Ana Caram in this part of the world! Glad to know you, pal!

:gbounce:

Originally posted by rochkoh
erm... think it's spelt Norah Jones. :)

am into the jazz-blues combination.. Nina Simone, Billy Holiday & the like. real old-man songs. + Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Harry Connick, Tracy Chapman, Chet Baker etc. + less mainstream ones like Ana Caram.

i know...typo lah..i posted it realli fast :p

Hi there all!
I'm kinda new to jazz here, and i like jazz, but I'm a little fuzzy with it though...
I'm not quite sure what genres I like, so I need you guys to sort me out...

I like easy listening ones, and I really like to sit down in my room, play some jazz CDs, and really chill out.. while reading a book or typing away at the PC...

OK, here are some of the songs I listen to...

What Women Want OST (i like all of the jazz songs inside, if you call them jazz... :D )
Diana Krall's the look of love
Robbie William's Swing when you are winning (the one when he re-mixed the old songs)
Laura Fygi... there's was one infamous song.. used in the ads, but I don't know what's the title.

and actually, I've heard some on the radio/somewhere, but I can't seem to know the title /artist..

And by the way, can someone classify me under some genre so that I have some headstart as to which types to listen to?
Thanks a million!

aiyah...am a jazz nut too...actually been exposed to them since forever...cuz my dad listen's to jazz too.

I still can't distinguish one type of jazz from another...eg; wads bosa nova?!? i juz listen to whatever i feel is soothing enuff fer me!

juz started listening to more jazz after listening to some Fiona Apple...which later followed by Diana Krall, Bobby Darin Frank Sinatra Norah Jones RayBrownTrio etc etc :p

but than...felt that robbie williams is juz singing ol' jazz tunes for the image. Never thought of him as a jazz artist. He'll forever be a boy-band-guy in my eyes. :) alas am biased.

Originally posted by punscum
aiyah...am a jazz nut too...actually been exposed to them since forever...cuz my dad listen's to jazz too.

I still can't distinguish one type of jazz from another...eg; wads bosa nova?!? i juz listen to whatever i feel is soothing enuff fer me!

juz started listening to more jazz after listening to some Fiona Apple...which later followed by Diana Krall, Bobby Darin Frank Sinatra Norah Jones RayBrownTrio etc etc :p

but than...felt that robbie williams is juz singing ol' jazz tunes for the image. Never thought of him as a jazz artist. He'll forever be a boy-band-guy in my eyes. :) alas am biased.

So these should be the artists that I start with?

I agree with the Robbie William part..
His renditions of the old songs (eg, Mack the Knife) can't be really compared to the original ones..

Maybe I should start listening... to other more "professional" jazz singers..

anybody know the ticket pricing for the diana krall concert?

Had my first Jazz experience with winamp, smoothjazz.com

Kind a like the music tho.. and listen to it while surfing clubsnap...

stumbled upon this thread :eek:
love jazz too. There used to be really good jazz at Aubrey's, but too little paying customers. The other new options is Jazz at South Bridge, Boat Quay - Sundays' jam nite but don't go too early. New Harry's opening at esplanade!!!

Jeremy Monteiro trio plays at Hilton on certain nights- that's the best that we have in Singapore so far... there's also a certain caucasian saxophonist we have around who's quite amazing. Not sure where he plays now though.

I prefer Bossa and vocal- have you guys heard Keiko Lee? Fine with Big Band and Latin Jazz- it's quite fun. Wish I could branch out into Jazz flute but coupled with photography and thesis it's just too exorbitant and time consuming.

Outing to pub ????

those that love old, laid back jazz would probably love Chet Baker :) Did I mention trumpet jazz?

;p

Originally posted by Eraine
xeno, how much' s the pricing?

Its in todays copy of Streats.

$65, $55, $45
Streats readers get 20% of ($65 & $55 cat.) if they present a copy of the day's Streats at any sistic outlets between now & oct 30.

Remember guys, Wynton Marsalis will be performing this Saturday, 2PM 2 Oct @ the Esplanade.

Wanted to book the Wynton Marsalis tickets, but went to the website and all the tickets fully booked, sigh...

I listen to Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones(one fantastic bassist), Antonio Carlos Jobim, Ella and others like fusion and funk jazz... Dunno leh, I don't particularly like Chesky Records for jazz(Rebecca Pidgeon's "The Raven" wasn't bad though... Verve and Reference are amongst my fave...

Originally posted by Gunjack
Wanted to book the Wynton Marsalis tickets, but went to the website and all the tickets fully booked, sigh...

That's a good sign that jazz is getting popular here. If it continues, maybe we'll soon have a dedicated jazz FM station. :cool:

I heard there's a pretty good jazz bar at Boat Quay called Southbridge, you jazz fans might wanna check it out-- apparently the various musicians who play in hotels, lounges etc. go down there to jam after work.

Theres a jazz event this coming Sun... 6pm to 1am

CHIJMES 7th Annual Jazz Festival
among those performing are singapore's jazz pianist Jeremy Monteiro and Keiko Matsui

Status
Not open for further replies.