Japanese Shrine at MacRitchie Reservoir

BananaDiver

May 8, 2006
Sunny island
Hi all... i have been wanting to explore the place for a while... hope someone who has been there or have the experience can advise...
1. The GPS bearings
2. A more detailed map of the place and surrounding
3. Best path/route to go including bashing through
4. Considerations to be taken
5. Time needed ETA and ETD

thanks for the help... cheers ;)

if i am not mistaken, the shrine is surrounded by swamp now... quite dangerous. :)

Hi all... Thanks for info... Did't the swamp area existed already? From info I see is that need to bash thru to the other side thru the forest...

Many thanks everyone

Hi all... Thanks for info... Did't the swamp area existed already? From info I see is that need to bash thru to the other side thru the forest...

Many thanks everyone

I was about 50m away from the shine (Mobile Phone GPS) when it started to rain heavily. Had to turn back as small branches start falling around me. I make the mistake asking a park warden for an alternate path instead of bashing thru bushes. He glared at me and say the place is off limit to public! I can be fined for trespassing... So whatever you do... don't approach the park warden for direction...

I was about 50m away from the shine (Mobile Phone GPS) when it started to rain heavily. Had to turn back as small branches start falling around me. I make the mistake asking a park warden for an alternate path instead of bashing thru bushes. He glared at me and say the place is off limit to public! I can be fined for trespassing... So whatever you do... don't approach the park warden for direction...

thanks for the info on this... :thumbsup:

best regards

thanks for the info on this... :thumbsup:

best regards

No problem. I am using Jerome Wee paid version GPS map. Not sure whether the location are included in the free version or not. On GPS you will see a branched trail along the main trail but in reality, you will see no trail or path. You had to bash in from there and rely on GPS for direction. Enter via Venus Drive, pass SICC, into the trail again and you are not that far from the site.

No problem. I am using Jerome Wee paid version GPS map. Not sure whether the location are included in the free version or not. On GPS you will see a branched trail along the main trail but in reality, you will see no trail or path. You had to bash in from there and rely on GPS for direction. Enter via Venus Drive, pass SICC, into the trail again and you are not that far from the site.

thanks for the heads up :) cheers...

I too am keen on making an excursion to photograph the Syonan Jinja ruins. How about getting a small group of 2 or 3 persons together this coming weekend?

I too am keen on making an excursion to photograph the Syonan Jinja ruins. How about getting a small group of 2 or 3 persons together this coming weekend?

I'm not too sure about this weekend... But if u interested in going... We can make some plans

i am interested but we do need a few things if the group doesnt have much outdoor trekking experience.

Someone who has been there as guide as well as can locate the place using GPS coordinates. And just in case, someone experienced in first aid (any field medics?).

Should be a small group like seven people as too many may increase chance of people getting lost or injury.

Can set it tentatively for the Jan 31st which gives 2 weeks notice and since falls on a sunday should be plenty of free time.

opinions?

i've been there 10 years ago,

as a NYAA trip during my JC.

led by a teacher.

Of my recollection,
we trek like 2 hrs into the forrest....
across stone path and mud path...

but definately no swamps around it yet.

started our outing at some private estate.
(should be the back)

the shrine is already demolised.

however, the "big clensing basin" is still intact (10 yrs ago)

the stilts of the shrine is still standing, like 40cm off the ground.
(which you can imagine them as the pillars of the shrine during its prime condition)

Also,
i remember i've watched a video on a TCS 5 programme,
(10 yrs ago, should be TCS, SBC would be too old)
<<Hey Singapore>>
featuring this shrine, unknow to many singaporeans.

the lady host, i can't recalled her name now.

only on the way back, we need to cross water,
around 20 metres,
was afraid of the monitor lizards...
back to the zig zag bridge

Last edited:
30 years back there was a small trail and relatively easy to go there. Back then no GPS just topo map, compass and pacing. :)

nowadays a parang is useful..
were there park wardens who make u feel like fugitive when u say u want to go there back then?
ps, were they wearing shorts back then too? 8)

nowadays a parang is useful..
were there park wardens who make u feel like fugitive when u say u want to go there back then?
ps, were they wearing shorts back then too? 8)

Those days parang was and is, I still believe a must have item. When I say the trail is easy, one still have to bash thru with parang but do not have "belukar" ie thick undergrowth fern where you literately have to lie flat on, it even with a parang it cannot cut thru. Probably the trail is there except people(city folks) now finds it a big challenge bashing thru :bsmilie::bsmilie:

As for policeman wear shorts (I kinda of expect this). 30 years ago policeman already wear pants, as what they are today, no difference except now they have jockey cap (I think). If it is 40 years or more yes they wear shorts then. :)

30 years back there was a small trail and relatively easy to go there. Back then no GPS just topo map, compass and pacing. :)
I don't suppose that it is still possible to obtain topographic maps from the SAF mapping unit? Been looking for it since after I ORD and the ones that are sold on-line dates back to the '80s or early '90s.

Do the NUS GIS & Map Resource Unit sells them to the public? :think:

Last edited:
No. Parang not required when i attempted to locate the site few months back. Vegetation wasn't that dense, at lease for most part of the trek. However i stop short at 50m mark from destination so won't be able to tell what's the condition later on.

Rainy season now. So prepared to bash thru mud. Trekking shoe or sandals advisable. Jean or long pants optional. Individual bringing a whistle along will be a good idea.

Start the trek at Venus Drive will save you at least an hour time.