Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomographer

Apr 27, 2009
Paterson Road
Due to the vastness of japan, there will be a need to create subforums soon,

However, as of now, this thread will be here to help those who will be going to japan

And postings of photos taken in the prefectures of japan.

Thank you tSkye for your contribution

we will be looking for long term contributors

on tips for jap

so feel free to ask any questions here,

we will do our best to answer.

Hi, I will going to Japan on my intership in a few months' time, probably leaving in september for about 4 to 6 months.

Will be headed towarsd Kumamoto, anything for me for note? Basically for camera care and such, I'm still a newbie using a Sony A200. Recommend that I get a zoom lens or wide angle?

Personally I'd take a 35. Wide enough to take landscapes, and if I want to shoot people, I'd go in close.

Most of them are quite tolerant of you taking photos of them, be sure to smile and bow.

Hi, thanks for your reply. What do you mean by 35? as in anything below 35mm?

My whole Japan trip was taken primarily on a 1740. The people there are friendly towards foreigners. If you take a photo, print it and give it to them, they'll be even friendlier.

My whole Japan trip was taken primarily on a 1740. The people there are friendly towards foreigners. If you take a photo, print it and give it to them, they'll be even friendlier.

contary to you, i felt kinda alienated in japan.. i dont think they really like foreigners...

I think it depends on which part of Japan you go to. For me, Tokyo seems not to welcome foreigners that much...but I like the kansai area more.

I visited Kyushu. The people there seem to smile all the time.

Stayed in Japan for 2mths, travelled all around, execpt for the North. And I have to say that my favourite places are not the usual places. Try places like Himeiji and Miyajima if you have the extra time to.

Miyajima is really different as it is an island on its own, and the spectacular shrine, i think its called Iwakujima(not sure), is amazing, as it is buried underwater, execpt for 5pm-6pm... its a beautiful place IMHO.

Of course, Nara and Kyoto are must visit places as well, but I think Kyushu, and the other nearby places such as kumamoto, Aso, etc, were much more beautiful. If you have a chance to go Kyushu, please head to Aso San. Its really beautiful! And they have this special 1964 Aso train, with all the retro designs, etc, but it travels super slowly!!

In Tokyo, I realised that most people are in really big rush for time, and they usually do not know the way if you ask them? Coz they usually reply saying that they juz work there, duno the place well. If you are in Tokyo, try visiting Meiji Jingu, and take a train to mt Fuji.

Try getting the JR pass for 14 days if you have the time for that, as it is really well worth it! and get the Kyushuu pass when you are at the area,it allows u to take the express trains,and save travelling time.

Singaporean living in Nagano Prefecture which is located in central Japan.
Have been here for almost 2 coming to 3 years.

If you are mostly traveling in big prominent cities,
try going for street shots using lens with a longer reach.
Chances are that you will usually get some pretty amazing candids.
Of course for architectural stuffs, wides are most welcome.

When you travel out of the big cities, you will realize that there are a lot of nice scenery to shoot. Wides are your best bet like here where I stay, winter is the best time to shoot stellar stuffs while the fall offers the a sea of red and yellow. For spring, I will usually travel to Kyoto to catch the sakuras and hopefully be in time to see "pink rivers" and "sakura rain".

Japanese people in big cities tend to be a little cold and are always racing against time so they might appear rude. Venture out to the more remote part of Japan and you will be greeted with the more subtle side of the Japanese people, accommodating, friendly, laid back and very very polite.

Hope to be of any help if anyone needs info about Japan.
Cheers.

I'm gonna visit the snow monkeys in Nagano in Dec!! :heart: Have u been there before? ANy tips/advice you can shed from your experience?

Singaporean living in Nagano Prefecture which is located in central Japan.
Have been here for almost 2 coming to 3 years.

If you are mostly traveling in big prominent cities,
try going for street shots using lens with a longer reach.
Chances are that you will usually get some pretty amazing candids.
Of course for architectural stuffs, wides are most welcome.

When you travel out of the big cities, you will realize that there are a lot of nice scenery to shoot. Wides are your best bet like here where I stay, winter is the best time to shoot stellar stuffs while the fall offers the a sea of red and yellow. For spring, I will usually travel to Kyoto to catch the sakuras and hopefully be in time to see "pink rivers" and "sakura rain".

Japanese people in big cities tend to be a little cold and are always racing against time so they might appear rude. Venture out to the more remote part of Japan and you will be greeted with the more subtle side of the Japanese people, accommodating, friendly, laid back and very very polite.

Hope to be of any help if anyone needs info about Japan.
Cheers.

I'm gonna visit the snow monkeys in Nagano in Dec!! :heart: Have u been there before? ANy tips/advice you can shed from your experience?

Hi Pixie,

While I know where they are, sadly I have never been there but hopefully I can make a trip there this year since it's like only an hour odd drive from where I live.

These monkeys behave almost like humans, soaking themselves in the onsens, looking at the creases on their palms, etc. Pretty good shutter chance since you can get to a rather close proximity of them but sometimes they might get offended. I would still prefer to frame them from a far for safety reasons.

This place has a lot of nice mountains and valleys for scenic photography. While you are here remember to sample the fruits and soba. Kyoho Grapes flavored Kit Kats which are limited to Nagano are really good as well. Of course you can try snowboarding or skiing and then go take a dip in the outdoor onsens whilst snowing.

Depending on how long and what you want to do here, these are pretty generic stuffs.

:) Hope that helps.

I have been there early Dec. It is a long journey from Tokyo.

Here is the thread on my Pics taken last year. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449414

Took the shinkansen from Tokyo station to Nagano Station (100 mins), then you will need to take the Nagaden Railway to Yudanaka Station (45 mins). Yudanaka has one of the top Onsen in Japan (Yudanaka & Shibu Onsen) but they only open for business during winter.

Then you have to take the Nagaden buses to Kanbayashi Onsen and walk about 1.8km from the bus stop (30 mins).The shorter route (15 mins) is closed during winter.

So you can imagine the amount of time spent on travelling (6 hours to and back) and i strongly recommend to stay for 1 night at the onsen if you are going during winter.

One more recommendation is to go up to Shiga Kogen for some skiing. It is one of the area which host the winter olympic.

This is the url of the live cam. http://www.jigokudani-yaenkoen.co.jp/livecam/monkey/index.htm

Last edited:
Hi Pixie,

While I know where they are, sadly I have never been there but hopefully I can make a trip there this year since it's like only an hour odd drive from where I live.

These monkeys behave almost like humans, soaking themselves in the onsens, looking at the creases on their palms, etc. Pretty good shutter chance since you can get to a rather close proximity of them but sometimes they might get offended. I would still prefer to frame them from a far for safety reasons.

This place has a lot of nice mountains and valleys for scenic photography. While you are here remember to sample the fruits and soba. Kyoho Grapes flavored Kit Kats which are limited to Nagano are really good as well. Of course you can try snowboarding or skiing and then go take a dip in the outdoor onsens whilst snowing.

Depending on how long and what you want to do here, these are pretty generic stuffs.

:) Hope that helps.

Thanks bro. Thats helpful :) Only an hour away from your place? *envious!* The kit kat sounds very tempting haha. Would prob spend 1-2 nights there depending on what is there to do. Still in early stages of planning the trip.

I have been there early Dec. It is a long journey from Tokyo.

Here is the thread on my Pics taken last year. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449414

Took the shinkansen from Tokyo station to Nagano Station (100 mins), then you will need to take the Nagaden Railway to Yudanaka Station (45 mins). Yudanaka has one of the top Onsen in Japan (Yudanaka & Shibu Onsen) but they only open for business during winter.

Then you have to take the Nagaden buses to Kanbayashi Onsen and walk about 1.8km from the bus stop (30 mins).The shorter route (15 mins) is closed during winter.

So you can imagine the amount of time spent on travelling (6 hours to and back) and i strongly recommend to stay for 1 night at the onsen if you are going during winter.

One more recommendation is to go up to Shiga Kogen for some skiing. It is one of the area which host the winter olympic.

This is the url of the live cam. http://www.jigokudani-yaenkoen.co.jp/livecam/monkey/index.htm

Hey bro, thats very informative! Especially since i'll be going from tokyo too, can know what to expect of the journey. Yeah, its a long journey to go and see these snow monkeys. I hope its worth it! Visited your thread too, nice pictures you have there. Thanks for sharing :)

Hey bro, thats very informative! Especially since i'll be going from tokyo too, can know what to expect of the journey. Yeah, its a long journey to go and see these snow monkeys. I hope its worth it! Visited your thread too, nice pictures you have there. Thanks for sharing :)

Yes it is definitely worth it. Basically, you can see alot of these monkey running around the area as well as on the slopes. It will be better if it is snowing. Remember to buy some snacks, food and drink when you are at Nagano station or Yudanaka station. If not, you will not be able to find any water and food at the monkey park. Basically it is very deep inside the pine tree forest. You will need to buy a ticket to access the monkey park. :(

If you are going during winter season (from mid Dec), then i guess most of the onsen or shops will be opened.

Are you planning to go to Shiga Kogen or stay at the Onsen ryokan at Yudanaka? The bus to monkey park is not very frequent. So you need to plan your trip and determine which bus timing you want to catch on your way back to Yudanaka station. If i remember correctly, the bus timing is 1 bus every 2 to 3 hours.
But if you are staying there, you can actually walk from your ryokan to the monkey park and you can take your time there.

I am going to Japan again to experience the height of winter season next Feb 2010-14 days. Will be travelling from Tokyo to Sapporo by Shinkansen using 14 days JR pass.

Last edited:
For those who want to take fireworks and planning to go on the first week of Dec, the Chichibu Night Festival is a must go place. only 90 mins from Toyko.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6552.html

The fireworks will last about 2 hours and this will give you the oportunity and time for you to practice or doing test shots.

It is one of the top 3 festival in Japan.

Warning to all, it will be very crowded. Wanted to go last Dec but last min cancelled due to the crowd and all train are fully occupied.

Status
Not open for further replies.