Japan Prices..

Status
Not open for further replies.

munkey

Apr 25, 2007
Hi guys, I have a friend bumping off to japan on holiday, and i am contemplating asking her to get some gear for me, if possible. How are the prices in Japan as compared to singapore? more expensive? and warranty wise, all that.
Any lenses/ old skool cameras that japan has and singapore doesnt carry? Please advice!

Thanks!!

nebody??

I did consider buying lenses from Japan when I was there 2 weeks ago. But in the end, decided against it. I didn't really check out many shops, just BIC camera and Yodobashi camera in Tokyo. Prices for Canon lenses are about S$50-100 cheaper than Singapore. Probably 5% tax rebate on top of that.

I thought it's not worth the trouble, in case the lens has some problems and I need to change it. I didn't bring my laptop, and we all know how we can't really use our camera's LCD to really chk for front and back focusing problems.

Then there's the chance of getting taxed in Singapore, if they see your box etc.

I did buy other stuff, like flash holders, clamps etc, not so easily available in Singapore.

I did hear that Tamron or Tokina could be cheaper in Japan, P&S cameras too. But I didn't check out the price myself.

My advice is buy in Japan if
1) your friend has quite some time to shop for lenses, and how to spot problem lenses
2) have her laptop with her to chk focusing, prepared to find some way to hide the packing or throw away the box,
3) Extra space in her luggage after other shopping
4) You Find that the $50-100 is justifiable for the trouble
5) you don't want the shops or MO guys in singapore to earn your money
6) Space in her bag and strength to carry an extra lens

I didn't see any old skool cameras for sale at the big shops. Think I saw the 600mm for sale at BIC camera, but not sure if it will burst your friend's credit card

danks man. exactly what i wanted to hear.

i has been in Tokyo now for a month now
been to BIC camera, Yodobashi, Map Camera.
In deed i am not impressed with the price here, except the canon 85mm f 1.2 L II, only that particular is cheaper than SG
and for manual camera, the second hand nikon FM2 is going like 600 - 700 SGD ??!! duh??!
if you plan to get the 85mm then go for it, else ... get from HK or US

Ok side note: Whats actually worth getting in Japan anyway? Im looking at some edibles.. yum feeling hungry already

on the way back at the airport you can try to find these little chicks/raccoon "cake"
its a thin cake skin with SOFT soft powder filling. regret buying only one...

here's some lens prices from yodobashi from about 3 weeks ago.

EF400mm f4 DO IS USM = 687200 = $9422
EF400mm f5.6L = 169600 = $2325
EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS = 232100 = $3182

sorry i only took a photo of these and never recorded the cheaper ones, hope can gauge from here and see la.

omy. Looks like ill have to throw the idea out of the window, US LOLLAR HERE I COME

i has been in Tokyo now for a month now
been to BIC camera, Yodobashi, Map Camera.
In deed i am not impressed with the price here, except the canon 85mm f 1.2 L II, only that particular is cheaper than SG
and for manual camera, the second hand nikon FM2 is going like 600 - 700 SGD ??!! duh??!
if you plan to get the 85mm then go for it, else ... get from HK or US
because there is a market for film cameras, unlike SG. They appreciate a good old fashion camera over there. Lens warranty is international so there is not much to worry about. But the checking of lens with a laptop is seriously something very singaporean. I have never seen anybody do that except for the locals here.

because there is a market for film cameras, unlike SG. They appreciate a good old fashion camera over there. Lens warranty is international so there is not much to worry about. But the checking of lens with a laptop is seriously something very singaporean. I have never seen anybody do that except for the locals here.

:bsmilie: too paranoid... anyway there is international warranty with the lens, anytime you can walk in to CSC for servicing/calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.