Japan or America ?

Recoil3d

Jan 23, 2010
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
As i am going to travel at the end of this year ,I have still not decided which country to got to so,just want to ask the people here which country is better to take picture in ? Currently leaning towards Japan as it im using a pentax camera and know there would be tons of goodies to buy there !:bsmilie:

It depends on what you shoot and which part of Japan you're going to. I have not been to America, but if you like street photography, the main cities of Japan will be overwhelming enough :) There're also many, many waterfalls, nature, scenics in almost every prefecture. You'll be in time for breathtaking autumn if you travel there around Oct-Nov.

I think the US has a much wider variety of different things to shoot if you're into landscapes.

If u r talking about landscapes, I am sure u will get great vistas in both countries. For me I am more tempted by what places like sierra nevada and the great national parks can offer photographically.

ryan

Yea im currently leaning towards japan but my parents are paying and they are more on america as they say it much easier to go to Japan by myself next time as in the u.s there will be lots of driving and a more "difficult " place to go by myself haha:bsmilie: Well still got a long time to decide [going end of year ];)

Yea im currently leaning towards japan but my parents are paying and they are more on america as they say it much easier to go to Japan by myself next time as in the u.s there will be lots of driving and a more "difficult " place to go by myself haha:bsmilie: Well still got a long time to decide [going end of year ];)

I agree with you, do treasure opportunities going to the States as it would be an eye opening experience for you :bsmilie: if you need to know anything feel free to drop me a pm as i am based there

maybe you can indicate which part of America or Japan you are heading to. :D

your question is like asking if you prefer apple to orange.

on the other hand if your question was fuji apple or washington apple it's alot easier to answer.

point is japan and usa are 2 different countries with totally different cultures. even within the united states, the cities are so diversified - laid back sf vs bustling nyc.

travelling time and price of airfare are almost 50% more for the united states.

camera and equipment are cheaper in the united states than hk or japan. yen has strengthened against the dollar.

you have a diversified culture in the united states compared to japan.

so we can answer your question if you can tell us 1) what is your budget 2) what you would like to see 3) how much leave are you planning to set aside 4) whether you prefer big mac and fries vs sushi/sashimi...

As i am going to travel at the end of this year ,I have still not decided which country to got to so,just want to ask the people here which country is better to take picture in ? Currently leaning towards Japan as it im using a pentax camera and know there would be tons of goodies to buy there !:bsmilie:

Are you just shooting the breeze or really keen?

We are waiting for what you wish to spend, to see, how many days etc...

Also let us know if it's free and easy or some packaged tour (contracted from sg or local).

I'm still planning for my trip for the end of May... bought the tickets but haven't finished planning my itinery.
Since you're only going at the end of the year, you have quite a lot of time to think through the points the others have mentioned.

if i were the TS and first time in the united states, i will visit california first - los angeles and sf.

IMHO if it was my expensive holiday, I would certainly not make decisions or ask for recommendations based on suggestions from CS.

Why?

Because it's my holiday.

Last edited:
IMHO if it was my expensive holiday, I would certainly not make decisions or ask for recommendations based on suggestions from CS.

Why?

Because it's my holiday.

bro - can get ideas so that you can better plan mah. at the end of the day you have to decide on your own itinerary.

Since you don't have strong preferences, why not go with your parents' preferred choice, whatever that is? Both are great countries to visit, and both will give you more than enough photographic opportunities, be it landscapes or street. And for the end of the year, you might want to consider going to a location with a high chance of snow to get the full winter experience. Though take note that snow is never guarantied with the wonky weather nowadays....

But I agree that photographers should at least make one "pilgrimage" to Japan to check out the photography section of the massive electronics superstores. B&H store in New York should be another "must-see", but I've not been there yet so can't comment more.

I have been to both countries on numerous trips (mainly business) and both are great places for travelling and photo-shoots. If your parents are paying for it, then go with their preferred choice and enjoy your blessings. In USA, cities like San Francisco is a great and romantic where you can take many wonderful pictures. If you are in LA, then universal studios and Disneyland are must-see. Then you also have Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and moving East, you have New York City or Boston or even Miami:) and the lists go on and on. Get enough hard disk space to download your pictures. Japan is also great with many interesting and exciting cities like Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto. You do not go wrong to go with either one for travelling and photo-shoot. Like others have said, it is not an apple to apple comparison. So it's your holidays so you decide.

the national parks in US are really one of the good spots for landscape photography. here's 2pics taken at Yosemite using a dying PnS Ixus 5MP camera. my only regret is not bringing a better camera and spend more time there

25741_375268968126_605723126_3742060_3642272_n.jpg

24791_381073108126_605723126_3889896_2263155_n.jpg

Flying into the US with the ever tightning security measures makes me cringe...

I don't think the TS is interested anymore or just all NATO...