Jan 6, 2012 - "The image you are waiting for"

Status
Not open for further replies.
super excited for the announcement! hoping for a D800 but I think it won't come out during this press release :(

any idea how long it takes before a Nikon DSLR usually starts selling after press release for FX cams? (if it's slower/faster for FX cams in any way)

30 days.

If local distributor manage to get any stock... I wonder how many will reach sg shore in the first shipment...

thanks for the info daredevil123 and Cowseye!

damn, I hope I can grab one before it's sold out.. which I think will be very quick. korea for 3 months and I want it to use it!

yup saw a number of D700 in bns already haha..

D800 is not a replacement for D700, but rather for D3X; while D4 is a replacement for D3. There is no replacement for D700 at the moment. So do not expect to sell your D700 to get a D800 or D4 at similar price to a new D700.

D800 is not a replacement for D700, but rather for D3X; while D4 is a replacement for D3. There is no replacement for D700 at the moment. So do not expect to sell your D700 to get a D800 or D4 at similar price to a new D700.

Geez, I can't imagine the D800 costing above $10K.....

Geez, I can't imagine the D800 costing above $10K.....

Maybe $4-6k?
I'm just worried its ISO performance is not as good as D700 due to its high MP.

kentwong81 said:

It's only view as a pseudo upgrade of D3x only becos of its possible megapixel (or resolution). If the rumored picture is true, it loses all the pro features (such as the inbuilt grip) that are found on D3. D3s & D3x. Native ISO @ 6400 max is a minor up from D700 while it's way ahead from D3x.

Let's wait another 2 days for the real answer, also quite excited what are the lenses to be announced at the same time. Hope at least one more besides the 85mm F/1.8G and not the 18-300mm versatile crap (at least for me)....

Cowseye said:
It's only view as a pseudo upgrade of D3x only becos of its possible megapixel (or resolution). If the rumored picture is true, it loses all the pro features (such as the inbuilt grip) that are found on D3. D3s & D3x. Native ISO @ 6400 max is a minor up from D700 while it's way ahead from D3x.

Let's wait another 2 days for the real answer, also quite excited what are the lenses to be announced at the same time. Hope at least one more besides the 85mm F/1.8G and not the 18-300mm versatile crap (at least for me)....

No wonder I saw lotsa af AF 85mm F/1.8D in BnS

Ya I seem more keen in what new lenses than bodies, since bodies get updated periodically. :)

Just my POV....

Last edited:
prefer Nikon announces an affordable 135mm f/2.8,
the 135mm f/2 DC is way too much expensive.
135mm is quite useful, may be it is just me.

You really think Nikon will replace a $12k camera with something half the price?

Hi Kit, let's wait and see. I also hope to see more new and useful lenses rather than the bodies as D700 has served me so well.

I don't know what to expect as we have been getting only announcement of PNS cameras lately.

I'm not sure if I should wait for the D800 since some say it's not a D700 upgrade. How credible is this?

Any advice on whether I should just get the D700 or wait for the D800? The only thing stopping me now is the lack of video which I use a lot. (home vids)
What are the rumours like for the release date?

kentwong81 said:
Further update: Nikon D4: USD6,000, Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.8G: USD500

It seems like D800 might not be announced this time round. Have to wait further.

ISO 102,400 expandable to 204,800... Much lighter... Salivating man.... Put on my 50mm f1.4 and this thing can see in the dark!

But don't quite understand the rationale of a $500 85mm f1.8... Killing their own f1.4?

Hi Kit, let's wait and see. I also hope to see more new and useful lenses rather than the bodies as D700 has served me so well.

Ya, I hope Nikon will update the AFD 35mm f2 too

ISO 102,400 expandable to 204,800... Much lighter... Salivating man.... Put on my 50mm f1.4 and this thing can see in the dark!

But don't quite understand the rationale of a $500 85mm f1.8... Killing their own f1.4?

I don't get why a $500 RRP 1.8 would kill their 1.4. The current AF-D already sells for 460 USD.

https://wellsfargoadvisors.mworld.com/m/m.w?lp=GetStory&id=587442381

Nikon Unveils New D4 Flagship D-SLR

Greg Tarr

Released : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:01 AM

The Nikon D4, which is slated for February availability at a $6,000 suggested retail, will offer a full-frame 16.2-megapixel full-format CMOS image sensor that will shoot full-resolution images at up to a 10 fps rate.

The camera is also one of the first to support the new XQD Compact Flash memory card format, and will also offer a second card for more conventional CF cards.

The Nikon D4 has improved low-light performance, with an ISO range from 100 to 102,400 which can be expanded to 50 to 204,800 for both movies and stills.

The D4 also improves on the D3's color matrix metering system with a third-generation 91,000-pixel RGB metering sensor.

The unit takes the AF mode select switch from the D7000 and uses improved 51-point AF points with 9 cross-type sensor and a beefed up AF module allowing focus with an f/8 lens and faster (up from f/5.6). The AF detection range is now down to EV-2.0

The viewfinder features a full pentaprism with a 100 percent field of view.

The video section will record pixel-for-pixel Full-HD 1080p resolution with selections for 30p and 24p frame rates in this iteration, and 720p at up to 60p for slow-motion work. The camera now includes support for the H.264 B frame compression scheme.

The camera uses contrast detect AF in movie recording and features a low-pass filter optimized to maximize sharpness of HD video, meaning greater noise reduction when shooting full-frame movies.

Function buttons are illuminated this year, and a dedicated video button (user re-assignable) is added near the shutter button.

The D4 supports WTSA wireless control using the optional Nikon WT-5 wireless transmitter, and features an integrated Ethernet port and HDMI output enabling output of uncompressed video.

The D4 also introduces face detection/recognition into the flagship series

Another new feature is smooth aperture control for use while shooting video.

At the same time, the company introduced the Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.8G FX format lens ($500 suggested retail).

The company said the D4 is not being produced in Thailand will not have production issues from the recent flooding situation there. But whether the company will have enough supply to meet the expected demand from Nikon-aligned professional photographers and converts remains to be seen.

2012 International Press Telecommunications Council

Provider:
International Press Telecommunications Council
Keywords:
Asia Pacific News, Editing & Sampling Equipment, Top World News, Asia, Far East, Southeast Asia, Thailand, Manufacturing Business News, Manufacturing, Manufacturing Personnel, Forecasts, Product Launches, Science, Science & Engineering, Entertainment Technology

UncleFai said:

Nikon currently also have both 85mm f/1.4 and f/1.8. They serve different markets really. If anything, it is the 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.8, with their somewhat closer price tag, that may cannibalize each other.

The price difference between a f1.4 and f1.8 or f2.0 lens is always exponential, not only Nikon, but to other brands like Leica(ridiculously different) and Canon. You will only buy the f1.4 lens if you really need it and appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.