Jakarta Walkabout Photography

LimTH

Sep 2, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I've just been bitten by Camera Bug.
I'll be posted to Jakarta for 3mths starting 5th May.
Not sure if there's any members in Jakarta that would be kind enough to advise me places to shoot during weekends.
Even better if we could go shooting together.
Rgds
Kenny

i don't really know about jakarta,but i know,most of photographer in jakarta will shoot a place named "kota tua"
this is means an old village
you should be there i think :)
you can search some image about "kota tua" in flickr

i am indonesian,but live in batam.so don't really know about nice place in jakarta :)

Kota tua means old city. It's a historical place and you can see a lot of architectural old buildings over there.

hi LimTH,
i guess you can join in fotografer.net it is Indonesian CS and in Indonesian, but may have some English thread.
as for Jakarta, yes, Kota Tua is famous. Or you can try Pelabuhan Sunda Kelapa (Sunda Kelapa Harbour). It serves traditional wooded phinisi-like boats.
Other than that, actually there are a lot of different things there in Jakarta and with few hours ride. You are able to go to West Java, Bogor, Puncak, Sukabumi for more nature look alike.

I will be there early June, but may be going for backpack to Sumbawa for the first 2 weeks.

Cheers!

Hi I also came from Jakarta and work in Singapore
if you want to hunting photo over there, I suggest you go by group, Please don't go single fighter there. Jakarta is not singapore or europe, while you are hunting photo, ppl will also hunting your gadge.
Place to go :
1. Kota tua (old city , explained above by other ) north Jakarta
2. Taman Mini, outside south Jakarta, Museum of culture
3. Monas- Thamrin - Sudirman road ( Central Biz area, better go in week end, cons traffic )

Monas for jakarta is the just like eiffel in Paris, or Petronas Twr in KL.

but if you want to take nature, you must go outside of the City,

recomend : - thousand Island at north Jakarta
- Krakatau Mountain

-Kota tua area, Sunda Kelapa Harbour ( near Kota Tua ).
-Sudirman area ( Night shoot )
-Kebun raya Bogor , 2 hours driving from Jakarta.

apart from the awesome places mentioned by dimashp, fidel3005 & indraphang, u can try to do street shoots in jakarta. however, as adviced, would be wise if u go in a group or with a local.

Thanks for all the great responses...
I'm beginning to get excited!!
The more info I get, the excitement begins.
Anyone wanna join me?? Don't be jealous, hehe

As I'm new, some bros here might be able to advise me of the Equipments that I should get before going over.

My current gear:
Canon 550D + 18-135mm
Sigma 50 f1.4

As I'm new, some bros here might be able to advise me of the Equipments that I should get before going over.

My current gear:
Canon 550D + 18-135mm
Sigma 50 f1.4

Dont worry, your 18-135 on 550D should fit most of the scene there.

Hey, guess what I just found something you might want to try with them

check this out or more info here

Or street photography and here

Last edited:

My current gear:
Canon 550D + 18-135mm
Sigma 50 f1.4

As you are just over there for 3 month, I suggest you don't need a flash. Your set up is good, and maybe add another tripod...

I think your gears set up is enough to cover street,portrait,landscape,building photography.

If you have a tripod,you can bring it incase you want to take night scene.

Hi, I chanced upon Sunda Kelapa when I was there last year and you could go out to the waters with their small motor boat (with a small fee). The waters are calm until you are near the breakwater, so do take care of your camera then. Another thing, they don't have life jacket. ;p But you see alot of big junks/ships, and you could even climb onboard one of them for photo shoots. :)

Wow,
Thanks for all the great feedback & recommendations.
I'm impressed by the amount of info received, will get the tripod today.
Getting poisoned...

For some nature photos, take a ride to puncak where the tea plantation & open range zoo are located. Inside Jakarta, if you're lucky you might occasionally meet the local football fans going to see a match, if you're not lucky you'll meet them after the match, lol.

Hi there,

Few more things. For a weekend you can drive about 2-3 hours to West Java. Things that you can expect to see are as follow (in distance-order):
1. Bogor-an old Colonial like city. Kebun Raya Bogor (rare plants, huge trees, etc).
2. Puncak-mountainous district, tea plantation, Puncak Pass (top of the mountain), Pangrango Mountain. Beware of jam, this place is famous for the jam.
3. Lido Lake - it is a lake, down the road is Bodogol Jungle Park (?) Forgot the exact name, it is tropical rainforest area (much much better than Bukit Timah).
4. Gunung Halimun National Park - it is indeed a huge real tropical rainforest with few waterfall, and awesome clear river.
5. Situgunung Lake - A vast lake with a beautiful waterfall.

That's more for nature side. All of them are located south of Jakarta.

In Jakarta itself, few more interesting locations is at the central of Jakarta. Monas (National Monument), Cathedral and Istiqlal Moswue (biggest in ASEAN), you can go to Ancol-North Jakarta seaside (there's an old Dutch/British Tomb at the side with a fishing pod made of bamboo), if you kinda like antique you can go to Kemang lots of antique shops there and some nice houses, etc.

Anyway, since you are in Jakarta for 3 months. If you have the time, I would like to recommend you to go off Jakarta to other cities.
- Jogjakarta is 1 hour flight or overnight train - this city is amazing. Borobudur Temple, Prambanan Temple, Keraton Palace, Merapi Mountain, beaches, etc. I did go around Jogja for 2 days. I can give you my itinerary if you want.
- Bandung is 2 hours drive from Jakarta. Another old cities with Tangkuban Perahu Crater, Kawah Putih Crater, many colonial houses, etc.

If you like adventure and do have time and guts to travel to non conventional places, Java Island has lots of it. I may be able to help you once I'm back from my backpack trip to Sumbawa in early June. Do PM me if you need more details. Cheers!

Guys,

Looks like i got to send in my request to the company to station me here for 3 years instead.
Overwhelming responses man, i'm so proud to know so many nice people in this forum.
I'm wondering if there's any outing this weekend so that i can have some fun.
BTW, I'm a newbie with cameras......... guidance & coachings are appreciated.
Rgds
Kenny Lim