Jack Neo - how? What a credit thief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i really dun get it. why is it getting popular to express hate on everything now? it really depresses me. just by looking at the first page of kopitiam, there's hate on expensive textbooks, hate on movies, hate on photographer wannabes, hate on internet service providers, hate on internet explorers, and now, hate on directors. it is fine to express discontent for certain things, but now, people show hatred for anything.

it just doesn't feels good when i see strong negative one-liner statements, esp when it ends with a :thumbsd:. Going around these "hate" threads, i never fail to find such statements.

this is just something i feel truly, not those posts i want to be flamed for.
Photoaid spreads love. Come visit the photoaid thread sometime.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=234688&highlight=photoaid+love

i really dun get it. why is it getting popular to express hate on everything now? it really depresses me. just by looking at the first page of kopitiam, there's hate on expensive textbooks, hate on movies, hate on photographer wannabes, hate on internet service providers, hate on internet explorers, and now, hate on directors. it is fine to express discontent for certain things, but now, people show hatred for anything.

it just doesn't feels good when i see strong negative one-liner statements, esp when it ends with a :thumbsd:. Going around these "hate" threads, i never fail to find such statements.

u dun get it then u read your sig again lor... its 1 of those 1 liner that will get u flamed... and u ironically say u hate it... hmm... :think:

No flame No satay...

i really dun get it. why is it getting popular to express hate on everything now?

Not hate lar, hate is too strong a word. It's just some healthy good old-fashioned ranting, that's all :)

I'm a er...16 year old student who makes films but isn't directly involved in the media business. I made my statement from what is widely perceived to be a reliable source, which was backed by imdb, another reputable source of film information. I doubt one would be expected to extensively cross reference their findings in order to post it at a 'kopitiam'. That still doesn't solve the mystery as to why jack neo is accredited to having directed money no enough

Please, making a movie is not an easy undertaking. From finding the initial idea, having it written by a scriptwriter, finding the cast/talents, getting financing, to the actual shooting and film direction, film editing and marketing and distribution means it is a huge collaborative effort that can end up as a commercial/artistic flop or success. Give it to the man, he actually went out and did a full length movie which achieved commercial success, which is no easy undertaking. So it does you little standing to merely be an armchair critic. All talk and no action. If you can do better, go ahead and do it. Perfect your craft. No need to knock people down.

Unfortunately it is all too easy to make idle and negative comments to put down people, situations, things, etc. Easy to be a complaining lot, but to me it is a worrying trend among locals here. Go elsewhere around the world and people put up with far worse yet complain far less.

u dun get it then u read your sig again lor... its 1 of those 1 liner that will get u flamed... and u ironically say u hate it... hmm... :think:

No flame No satay...
:lovegrin: I love chow tarr satay :lovegrin:

If you look at Jack Neo's bio on Wikipedia, it states that the Best Director Award he won at the 1998 Silver Screen Awards is for a short firm, without mentioning the title. Other sources mention the title of that short firm as "Replacement Killers".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Neo

In any case, "Money No Enough" is definitely no short film, so Wikipedia is contradicting itself in two different articles (which can definitely happen).

From other sources, it is most likely the case that the bio page is correct and the "Money No Enough" page is not, so I think the TS should recheck this.

If you look at Jack Neo's bio on Wikipedia, it states that the Best Director Award he won at the 1998 Silver Screen Awards is for a short firm, without mentioning the title. Other sources mention the title of that short firm as "Replacement Killers".

In any case, "Money No Enough" is definitely no short film, so Wikipedia is contradicting itself in two different articles (which can definitely happen).

From other sources, it is most likely the case that the bio page is correct and the "Money No Enough" page is not, so I think the TS should recheck this.

You can never take Wikipedia 100% on the info they put up. Reason is any tom, dick & kuku mary can go edit it anytime...

Wiki might not contridict itself but rather implies that Jack's award wasn't for money no enough as TS have mentioned.

No flame No satay...

no lah. it is a way to prevent CSers from posting post with too much irritating big fonts.;)

dun get me wrong. me not flaming MM in anyway. but i think maybe my move suggested it wrongly. sry.

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=247188

Budget = S$1000

Imagine if we had Jack Neo's resources

And i'm still not getting why anyone's making such a big fuss...What happened to good ol' fashioned free speech - this is a kopitiam. Geeez. Anyone ever been to www.dvxuser.com ? Much more easygoing(and amusing) when criticisms are brought to bear. Quite frankly, Homerun was a joke, the I Not Stupids were better but by no means the standard expected from movies with a budget that big. I've seen way better from internetional independent productions. I'm sure everyone can agree that Jack Neo features are just 90 minute long sitcoms

Please, making a movie is not an easy undertaking. From finding the initial idea, having it written by a scriptwriter, finding the cast/talents, getting financing, to the actual shooting and film direction, film editing and marketing and distribution means it is a huge collaborative effort that can end up as a commercial/artistic flop or success. Give it to the man, he actually went out and did a full length movie which achieved commercial success, which is no easy undertaking. So it does you little standing to merely be an armchair critic. All talk and no action. If you can do better, go ahead and do it. Perfect your craft. No need to knock people down.

Unfortunately it is all too easy to make idle and negative comments to put down people, situations, things, etc. Easy to be a complaining lot, but to me it is a worrying trend among locals here. Go elsewhere around the world and people put up with far worse yet complain far less.

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=247188

Budget = S$1000

Imagine if we had Jack Neo's resources

There's no need to imagine. Its about hard work and dedication to look for these resources. I just shot a film some time last year. My planned budget was a whooping 18,000. Where to get this money? FIND IT, BEG FOR IT, WORK FOR IT... what ever it takes to get that money. In the end i had to scrape and scrimp on so much to make it a lower more workable budget far from my planned one. So the moral behind it? There is nothing impossible if you have good planning, good PR skills, good initiative, alternative plans AND LESS COMPLAINTS on bumps you come across along the way.

And i'm still not getting why anyone's making such a big fuss...What happened to good ol' fashioned free speech - this is a kopitiam. Geeez. Anyone ever been to www.dvxuser.com ? Much more easygoing(and amusing) when criticisms are brought to bear. Quite frankly, Homerun was a joke, the I Not Stupids were better but by no means the standard expected from movies with a budget that big. I've seen way better from internetional independent productions. I'm sure everyone can agree that Jack Neo features are just 90 minute long sitcoms

I just replied to your first part and now the second part??

I'd really really like to tell you as a freelance practitioner to STFU. But i wont because its "free speech".

1: if you wanna have so much free speech and not get comments against your "free speech" by all means post in dvxuser.

2: as much as i really dun like jack neo's films, i have to give it to the man that at least he can make films the way he wants it to run.

3: How would u know his budget is that huge? Since you compare it to international independant productions, i can assure you his budget is not that huge.

4: Why do you need to prove your point by showing us ur link and telling us your budget unless you desperately crave for attention for viewership?

5: If your complains on Jack is so huge. WHy not try to get your film on the big screen and get ppl to pay for it and make it into a box office chart?

Can you do all the above? If you cant then stop the rants about a senior in this trade who can, based on your own narrow thinking.

Eh firstly I think you guys are taking this far too seriously. Mal just brought up what he thought was a mis-given award to Jack Neo for an entitlement which should've gone too Tay. Then this somehow became a 'flame Jack Neo' thread and now an anti-Malcolm-Wiki-thread. The point here is not whether or not we like Neo but rather the validity of that award.

So what if people don't like Jack Neo?

I respect the fella but everyone's entitled to his or her own opinion. Article 14 of our defunct constitution even gaurantees that right... Albeit in a limited way. Anyhow, my point is basically just to let the people say whatever they want to say because I doubt Mr Neo would be calling up Mr Singh of Drew & Napier anytime soon. Its a KOPITIAM for crying out loud - A place where old men get together to lambast *** politicians and GST hikes! So give the man a break and let freedom of speech take its course. Whether you hate or love Jack Neo, no one should have the right to tell you what to think or say. Singaporeans have to lighten up. Not everyone's Chee Soon Juan, JBJ, or Tang Liang Hong... :nono:

Besides, both Mal's parents are top-notch lawyers and I'm pretty sure they can defend him decently if it ever boils down to that :sweat:

IMDB - he makes films with an average budget of a million dollars

methinks i just got flamed

yup. you just got sataied.;) but on a very mild scale methinks.:bsmilie:

A place where old men get together to lambast *** politicians and GST hikes!

Eh whats this man? P-A-P is asteriked? Wow talk about censorship....

Singapore mah...

Anyway speaking of international independent productions, children of heaven, the original version of homerun was made on a third of the budget at which jack neo accomplished homerun. Sure its a feat to be singapore's most commercially successful director, but really.

Eh firstly I think you guys are taking this far too seriously. Mal just brought up what he thought was a mis-given award to Jack Neo for an entitlement which should've gone too Tay. Then this somehow became a 'flame Jack Neo' thread and now an anti-Malcolm-Wiki-thread. The point here is not whether or not we like Neo but rather the validity of that award.

So what if people don't like Jack Neo?

I respect the fella but everyone's entitled to his or her own opinion. Article 14 of our defunct constitution even gaurantees that right... Albeit in a limited way. Anyhow, my point is basically just to let the people say whatever they want to say because I doubt Mr Neo would be calling up Mr Singh of Drew & Napier anytime soon. Its a KOPITIAM for crying out loud - A place where old men get together to lambast *** politicians and GST hikes! So give the man a break and let freedom of speech take its course. Whether you hate or love Jack Neo, no one should have the right to tell you what to think or say. Singaporeans have to lighten up. Not everyone's Chee Soon Juan, JBJ, or Tang Liang Hong... :nono:

Besides, both Mal's parents are top-notch lawyers and I'm pretty sure they can defend him decently if it ever boils down to that :sweat:

Thread title.

Period.

This is very very mild.

you need to understand that opinions are one thing. Statements are another. as long as it is in written form and made known to the 3rd party with malicious intent to defame (in which this case is probably done unknowingly) it is still a very touchy thing you have to take note of as a practioner. You understand where i'm coming from now?

I'm not trying to flame you. But you really have to be careful in this field. at least its better to hear this here then when you recieve that golden letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.