Ixus V, A40 or wait? urgent ...


Status
Not open for further replies.

woonbock

New Member
Mar 21, 2002
91
0
0
Visit site
#1
CP is selling the Ixus V for $680 , and the free 64mb card is free with some Canon promotion, and the offer ends today....

Im really in serious dilenma... Shall I wait for V2, get V or get A40?

A40 cost $580 in CP wif no free stuffs and having to get the CF card for 65. It has 3x optical zoom, and the nite view looks decent...(see weeguy thread)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/a40.html

Canon V for $680 is cheap, 2x optical zoom, but V2 looks to be coming out really soon since now that A40 is out, and wif A40's killer price tag, i have good reasons to believe V2 might cost even cheaper than V.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/s110.html


Im really in serious dilenma.... can someone help me out here? Im not in a hurry to get a digicam now, and I reallly hate to regret. WOuld some kind souls hellp me decide here..
 

G

Galaa

Guest
#2
Get Oylumpus C2100Uz or C700!!! :p

Heard that C700 cost $850 now...so that means C2100 is even cheaper?
 

woonbock

New Member
Mar 21, 2002
91
0
0
Visit site
#3
Originally posted by Galaa
Get Oylumpus C2100Uz or C700!!! :p

Heard that C700 cost $850 now...so that means C2100 is even cheaper?
Theya re too ex for me.... my budget would be no more than 700...
 

Kei

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
2,080
0
36
#4
Since you are not in a hurry, so wait lor :)
 

Tweek

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,027
0
0
38
East
www.weekai.com
#7
Ixus V2 (issit called V2? I thought got another name) may not be cheaper than the V now, since V is considered an old and possibly going to be discontinued model that's why it is selling at $680. It used to be $900 to $1000+ when it first came out.

Personally, I'll take A40. Had A20 before, I like that body very much. Ixus is too small for me, and the batt is proprietary and life is short.
 

woonbock

New Member
Mar 21, 2002
91
0
0
Visit site
#8
One big reason i dunwan to wait is because of the free CF card.... can save a lot....
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#9
u don't really save a lot. a 64MB can be had for $50 elsewhere.

if you want to get it right the first time, go for the A40. many people got a simple point and shoot and later upgrade to one with more controls when they found the initial one inadequate to meet their needs.

another thing to consider is batteries. The Ixus uses proprietary battery right? Then you might have to get an expensive backup battery for long trips.
 

Tweek

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,027
0
0
38
East
www.weekai.com
#10
Originally posted by mpenza
if you want to get it right the first time, go for the A40. many people got a simple point and shoot and later upgrade to one with more controls when they found the initial one inadequate to meet their needs.
KC actually at first I thought the A40 may be good as a backup camera, cos it has all the manual functions. Then I just realised in manual mode, only F2.8 and F8.0 are selectable, and there are no shutter and aperture priority. :(

So for a serious novice intending to go deeper into learning very soon, I would advise against A40.
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#11
Originally posted by Tweek


KC actually at first I thought the A40 may be good as a backup camera, cos it has all the manual functions. Then I just realised in manual mode, only F2.8 and F8.0 are selectable, and there are no shutter and aperture priority. :(

So for a serious novice intending to go deeper into learning very soon, I would advise against A40.
that's true. but for $600+ (including a 64MB memory), the A40 is the only good option (other than the Casio AV2400UX which offers much more controls ;p ).
 

Tweek

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,027
0
0
38
East
www.weekai.com
#12
Originally posted by mpenza


that's true. but for $600+ (including a 64MB memory), the A40 is the only good option (other than the Casio AV2400UX which offers much more controls ;p ).
still got C-2040z, someone bought it with a 64mb SMC (I think it's 64, may be wrong) for $650. Quite a good price too.
 

copland

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
327
0
0
Visit site
#14
Originally posted by Tweek


still got C-2040z, someone bought it with a 64mb SMC (I think it's 64, may be wrong) for $650. Quite a good price too.
Was this at Alan Photo? Thot it was $650 for the C2040 alone?
 

Tweek

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,027
0
0
38
East
www.weekai.com
#15
Originally posted by copland


Was this at Alan Photo? Thot it was $650 for the C2040 alone?
issit? I thought they mentioned something like 64mb in their exchange? Dunno...not sure...
 

F

fcpga

Guest
#16
forget about those camera using proprietary, buying one easily cost $70.

when you can get a 4XAA at $12-15

even if they give you the battery for free, you will start buying new ones after 1 year. Worst still, the camera stop production and so does the battery.
 

F

fcpga

Guest
#17
Originally posted by Tweek


KC actually at first I thought the A40 may be good as a backup camera, cos it has all the manual functions. Then I just realised in manual mode, only F2.8 and F8.0 are selectable, and there are no shutter and aperture priority. :(

So for a serious novice intending to go deeper into learning very soon, I would advise against A40.

if only A40 comes with all the full control set, this would be the PERFECT camera to own at such low price. Hopfully Canon revised one maybe A50 ?
 

woonbock

New Member
Mar 21, 2002
91
0
0
Visit site
#18
Originally posted by fcpga
forget about those camera using proprietary, buying one easily cost $70.

when you can get a 4XAA at $12-15

even if they give you the battery for free, you will start buying new ones after 1 year. Worst still, the camera stop production and so does the battery.

Tats very true, its an important issue with Ixus V or V2(aka s110 or s200)
 

Tweek

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,027
0
0
38
East
www.weekai.com
#19
Originally posted by fcpga



if only A40 comes with all the full control set, this would be the PERFECT camera to own at such low price. Hopfully Canon revised one maybe A50 ?
yeah hope so. That will be one camera to get, for a low budget.
 

Kei

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
2,080
0
36
#20
and with a nice range of accessories :)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom