Ixus 950is

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiphoto

Dec 4, 2003
Hey there anyone got a ixus 950IS yet? who knows the best package available? thinking of getting one (narrowed down to it) cos its a reliable and compact cam with OIS.

One post b filterfunk (thanks) lists:
Harvey Norman, $649
2gb x2 + mini tripod + screen protector + case

anyone else know of other packages?

One the canon website, the list price is $649 (surprisingly same as the 850IS actually)

er, you get from the usual shops like Cathay Photo, MS Color, John 3:16, TK Foto should be able to get a better price :)

fyi the current canon offer is 2gb + digital kit bag for both the 850 and 950 IS. see the full offer list below..
http://www.canon.com.sg/70days/70th%20Anniversary.pdf

btw, the 950 IS (35-140mm) is not a replacement model of the 850 IS (28-105mm).. it is more like a 'sister' model, offering a different set of focal range.. the actual camera it is replacing is the 800 IS (35-140mm), which is discontinued for awhile already.

er, you get from the usual shops like Cathay Photo, MS Color, John 3:16, TK Foto should be able to get a better price :)

fyi the current canon offer is 2gb + digital kit bag for both the 850 and 950 IS. see the full offer list below..
http://www.canon.com.sg/70days/70th%20Anniversary.pdf

btw, the 950 IS (35-140mm) is not a replacement model of the 850 IS (28-105mm).. it is more like a 'sister' model, offering a different set of focal range.. the actual camera it is replacing is the 800 IS (35-140mm), which is discontinued for awhile already.
Well i did some scouting today.. Went to Funan Alan Photo... Got a brochure from alanphoto similar to the pdf you linked... Dint ask them on any special offers.

I did go to the canon showroom on the 3rd? floor i think to inquire though... And hence i realised that it seems that even though the ixus 950is is newer than the 850is, the price is the same (and the 850is was even more expensive when it came out), so what i gather is that the wide angle lens alone makes up for the lower resolution, older tech screen, no 1024x768 video and a few lesser photo options. (this is a price vs features comparison only)

So what I want to ask is why is wide angle lens so important? I am not that savvy a camera user so I dunno how important is the wide angle lens, just that in a confined space it will be useful to capture a large group of people. Then again would a wide angle lens cause more barrel distortion?.. Can anyone tell me more?

p.s. i am aware there is some magnetic wide angle lens attachment to the 950is... but one of my friends dissed it as putting more pieces of glass between the sensor and the subject and hence affect image quality.

update:

gotten my 950IS today at $565. comes with the stated free gifts on the brochure (to be collected at harbourfront though)

i have no comments over the wide angle distortion issue..
wideangle helps in places where limited space is available (esp indoors) as well as landscape/sceneries where you want to capture as much as possible into a picture (you can always use stitching but that will be 'cheating' aint it?)

need to correct you, there is NO 1024x768 video mode on either camera. :sweat:

the 2 main reasons for me to choose the 950IS over the 850IS are:
1. the design of the main mode dial on the 950IS (and the model it is replacing, 800IS) i had seen a 850IS display set at Best Denki with its main mode dial badly 'abused', with the paint work of the round dial almost totally gone. :sticktong having it flushed to the body i think would be less prone to such 'damage'
2. the lcd screen is alot better, colour display wise and viewing angle. much more vibrant, but still far from the best pns screen i had seen (from casio)

dont know what i am talking about the main mode dial? here is a sample..

950IS and 800IS..
SD700_Modedial.jpg

review of 800IS: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd700is

850IS..
modedial.jpg

review of 850IS: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd800is

If you have ever used a wide angle cam b4, you probably wouldn't want to choose another without it! Wide angles are good for a variety of purposes, not just travelling as some thot. It helps a lot when you want to show the environment or when you shoot in tight places.

I think Canon made a silly mistake with the 850IS. It's 28mm, yes, but I've read complaints about how it is not as sharp as the previous 800IS. And the design is at the back looks cheapo and more ugly to me.

The 950IS as you can see, is back to the 35mm focal length. It's like Canon is making amends. If anything, I should expect them to also have 28mm on the 950IS. Instead, it's a step back again to 35mm just like the 800IS. :dunno: After more than a year and they are still not progressing?!

I dunno if Canon is playing with consumers by delaying coming up with some really good features in new models, or their 28mm wide angle technology on digicam is not so good yet. But they have definitely lost a customer in me in compact digital cams!

I've switched camps now and I'm satisfied. :)

update:

gotten my 950IS today at $565. comes with the stated free gifts on the brochure (to be collected at harbourfront though)

i have no comments over the wide angle distortion issue..
wideangle helps in places where limited space is available (esp indoors) as well as landscape/sceneries where you want to capture as much as possible into a picture (you can always use stitching but that will be 'cheating' aint it?)

need to correct you, there is NO 1024x768 video mode on either camera. :sweat:

the 2 main reasons for me to choose the 950IS over the 850IS are:
1. the design of the main mode dial on the 950IS (and the model it is replacing, 800IS) i had seen a 850IS display set at Best Denki with its main mode dial badly 'abused', with the paint work of the round dial almost totally gone. :sticktong having it flushed to the body i think would be less prone to such 'damage'
2. the lcd screen is alot better, colour display wise and viewing angle. much more vibrant, but still far from the best pns screen i had seen (from casio)

dont know what i am talking about the main mode dial? here is a sample..

950IS and 800IS..
SD700_Modedial.jpg

review of 800IS: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd700is

850IS..
modedial.jpg

review of 850IS: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd800is
hey filterfunk whered you get the950is from, must say the "i am from clubsnap" magic words?

it is out in all the usual stores.. (CP/AP/MS Color/John316/TK Foto/etc)

and there is no need to say you are from CS :sweat: just ask for the best price they can offer you. oh yes, do bring cash (for the best price) if you want to avoid touchy issues like Nets/debit/credit cards..

i even see it at Harvey Norman and Courts.. (but at $649..)

well thanks. i think i will be going down to sls to see alan tomorrow.

actually i'm wondering what are the good points of ixus950is. other than the powerful marketing of canon, i feel that the picture quality is not as good as f31 or other comparable models.

Status
Not open for further replies.