Ixus 500 vs A80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kho King

Jan 20, 2002
shashinki.com
My wife's sister wanna buy a digicam. Budget shouldn't be a constrain (less than S$1k should be ok). I suggested her the A80, but she asked about the Ixus 500.

Which one is better choice? Any other model to recommend?

Thanks. :)

latmo said:
for quality and manual control i suggest A80 have AV/TV and others (14 shooting mode)

if just going to use auto mode and for girl i suggest Ixus

Totally agree with Latmo, just go for Ixus 500 coz girls tent to like smaller size camera. But A80 got a swidlable LCD which is something special lah.

Is she the type who goes overseas backpacking alot with friends and comes back with alot of travel photos/self-portraits? <--- Canon A80

Is she the type who works in the office, and at times whips out her camera during weddings or company dinners to take snapshots of her and her colleague? <--- Ixus 500

Hope I helped a little... :)

Hiyee,

Another option, get the Sony DSC-W1.... awesome 2.5" LCD screen.... appeals to the opposite sex.... and chio too. Fast response...

Rgds
Sunny

she is married, main purpose of the digicam will be for her coming baby (in Oct). Btw, are both A80 and Ixus 500 using CF card?

latmo said:
W1 is quite expensive
for both body and accessories
also memory card is very expensive for sony
thats what i dun suggest ppl to buy sony :nono:

My wife owns the Sony W1 (bought less than 2 months ago) and I must say its an awesome camera. She bought it at AP for around $680, which I think feel is definitely cheaper than Ixus 500, not sure about A80 though (but then again, A80 is 4MP, so not in the same class as the 2).

For digital camera, besides the price of the camera body, there are 2 other inportant accessories - battery (the juice provider) and memory card (for storing those precious photos and video clips).

Battery (Juice!)
Well think A80 and W1 wins here (in my opinion) cos the Ixus 500 uses proprietary rechargeable batteries (NB-1LH), which is pretty expensive compared to rechargeable AA batteries. The A80 uses 4 AA batteries while the W1 uses half of that (i.e. 2 AA batteries). AA batteries are not exactly light, especially when you pack 4 into a compact camera. So in terms of cost for battery, the W1 seems to be winning.

Storage
Both the A80 and Ixus uses compactflash (CF) while the W1 uses the obvious memory stick (MS). Yes I don't disagree that CF cards are indeed cheaper than MS. A 512MB (40X Lexar) CF sells for around $199 while a similar 512MB MS Pro (Lexar) cost $245. The A80 & Ixus seems to win here.

Wait, there's one more thing! Did someone mentioned that the potential buyer is married and wants the camera for the baby? If that's the case wouldn&#8217;t video capturing capabilities be important? If so, you&#8217;ll also need to look at the video capturing abilities of these cameras, right?

A80 &#8211; max resolution 320 x 240, 15 fps (3 minutes)
Ixus &#8211; max resolution 640 x 480, ? fps (30 seconds)
W1 &#8211; max resolution 640 x 480, 30 fps (as long as MS Pro (must be pro) has the spare space to accommodate)

Well from the specs of these cameras, seems like W1 can capture awesome videos.

Kho King said:
she is married, main purpose of the digicam will be for her coming baby (in Oct). Btw, are both A80 and Ixus 500 using CF card?

Actually, I would recommend a video camera instead of digital camera. For baby shot, a video camera can capture all the exciting moments in motion. The new range of DV videocam are not only cheap and small, they're packed with features such as camera capture capabilities. Do check them out as well! DV tapes are also cheap now!

pat8228 said:
Actually, I would recommend a video camera instead of digital camera. For baby shot, a video camera can capture all the exciting moments in motion. The new range of DV videocam are not only cheap and small, they're packed with features such as camera capture capabilities. Do check them out as well! DV tapes are also cheap now!

I have a one mth old son and I photo him almost everyday. Taking pics of baby with point-shoot cameras is more tricky than with adults. Most of all you should AVOID using FLASH cos it goes straight into baby's eyes (you can't use an attached flash to bounce it off the wall or something). :nono: Unless you want to enrol him into Braille school in the near future. :bsmilie:

I am an A70 user, this camera has many semi-auto functions, like AV, TV, and best of all, allows the exposure (Exp.) to be adjusted even in SPORTS mode. I actually use that alot to capture those split second moments when he smiles or grimaces. As most babies are confined in the room & often in low light conditions, increasing the Exp. in sports mode replaces the use of a flash.

Playing with AV or TV can actually replace the use of flash but that's a different story, and the new mother may not hv the time/incllination to learn. Leave that to the new father. :)

In short, my recommendation is the A80 or even the new A75 cos of all the above. But the IXUS will still be a good choice if Exp. can be adjusted at various modes, and given its compactness it's highly portable. So you really hv to chk out the Exp. feature first, IMHO.

The new Minolta DiMage X50 looks good for ladies too. You can check that out. :)

Agree with mercuryblue that you shouldn't use flash on babies as it might potentially blind them. Cameras use to be the popular choice in the past cos of its lower cost. But with prices and size for DV videocam dropping, you can easily get decent videocams for less than $1k. Wouldn't videos and sound (I should term that as noise) of babies crying for its first taste of milk be worth keeping? How about when he's attempting its first step (which would be some time later).

I remembered when I was in St Mark's square (Venice, Italy) last April and saw this young kid standing in front of me and suddenly he fell on his knee and then fall flat onto the floor. Its was so hilarious. A picture wouldn't be able to capture that whole sequence as compared to video right?

My 2 cents worth....

my wife's sister already bought a video cam, so no problem in recording movie. Now, what she wants is a digicam...can the flash of Ixus 500 be turn off? yeah...flash for baby sensitive eyes are bad...

Kho King said:
my wife's sister already bought a video cam, so no problem in recording movie. Now, what she wants is a digicam...can the flash of Ixus 500 be turn off? yeah...flash for baby sensitive eyes are bad...

Yes, it can be switch off. I think those setting is pretty standard for all camera ^_^. But just careful and check everytime b4 shooting. Coz sometimes it dun "remember" the last settings

chunger said:
Yes, it can be switch off. I think those setting is pretty standard for all camera ^_^. But just careful and check everytime b4 shooting. Coz sometimes it dun "remember" the last settings

Yup, most of the time the flash is on by default, especially when using point-and-shoot mode. Just remember to toggle off the flash eash time you shoot.

pat8228 said:
My wife owns the Sony W1 (bought less than 2 months ago) and I must say its an awesome camera. She bought it at AP for around $680, which I think feel is definitely cheaper than Ixus 500, not sure about A80 though (but then again, A80 is 4MP, so not in the same class as the 2).

For digital camera, besides the price of the camera body, there are 2 other inportant accessories - battery (the juice provider) and memory card (for storing those precious photos and video clips).

Battery (Juice!)
Well think A80 and W1 wins here (in my opinion) cos the Ixus 500 uses proprietary rechargeable batteries (NB-1LH), which is pretty expensive compared to rechargeable AA batteries. The A80 uses 4 AA batteries while the W1 uses half of that (i.e. 2 AA batteries). AA batteries are not exactly light, especially when you pack 4 into a compact camera. So in terms of cost for battery, the W1 seems to be winning.

Storage
Both the A80 and Ixus uses compactflash (CF) while the W1 uses the obvious memory stick (MS). Yes I don't disagree that CF cards are indeed cheaper than MS. A 512MB (40X Lexar) CF sells for around $199 while a similar 512MB MS Pro (Lexar) cost $245. The A80 & Ixus seems to win here.

Wait, there's one more thing! Did someone mentioned that the potential buyer is married and wants the camera for the baby? If that's the case wouldn’t video capturing capabilities be important? If so, you’ll also need to look at the video capturing abilities of these cameras, right?

A80 – max resolution 320 x 240, 15 fps (3 minutes)
Ixus – max resolution 640 x 480, ? fps (30 seconds)
W1 – max resolution 640 x 480, 30 fps (as long as MS Pro (must be pro) has the spare space to accommodate)

Well from the specs of these cameras, seems like W1 can capture awesome videos.

erm ... a 512CF card is only around $110 (you dun need high speed cf card for P&S cam) but for sony only MS Pro had 512CF version which is very expensive as you meantion

and one main point dun alwasy judge the quality of a DC by it megapixel ...
well infact 5Megepixel is 2,592 x 1,944 and 4Megapixel is 2272 x 1704 not big different.

sony W1 seem to me have Carl Zeiss lens, 5Megapixel ,a Big LCD and unlimited movie(need a 1GB MS PRO for around 1 hour of clip ....) as selling point. lack of AV mode and TV mode and heard that the Manual Mode is not really good too
$around 700

A80 selling point 4Megapixel, flip LCD, 14 shooting mode, 3 minute movie(but i never use it before ... so think about it do you really need this before you go for W1 ...), using CF card (the cheappest memory card of all)
$around 600

ixus500 selling point is .... 5Megapixel and compact ........ hm cant think of anything else ....
around $750 not sure

for A80 and W1 ask your self are you willing to pay $200 (yes $200 cos you probably need a 512MB card) for 5 megepixel and that movie mode ....
or you can save $200 for a A80 and enjoy the shooting mode

for ixus .... you think is that worth paying $700+ just for the size ....

Kho King said:

Most cameras allow you to on/off flash, that's pretty std. But the IMPORTANT point here is whether you can adjust the exposure (Exp.) in the various modes, e.g. SPORTS, POTRAIT mode, to compensate for not using flash.

From my experience, bb spends most time in the room with lights dimmed to allow him to sleep better. But it will be a waste of time to take pics with poor lighting, so that's where the EV controls can help.

I know for sure u can adjust Exp. in A70 and A80, but not sure abt IXUS. Perhaps IXUS owners here can help you out.

Think one way to decide is to read some of the reviews available online (e.g. www.imaging-resource.com; www.dpreview.com; www.megapixel.net; etc.) and have some hands on experience by trying out the cameras at the camera shops. Try out the features of various cameras and see whether you like them. There are people who swear by certain brands, while some goes for look & feel of the camera. Cost is also an important factor, likewise for features, functionality and portability.

pat8228 said:
Think one way to decide is to read some of the reviews available online (e.g. www.imaging-resource.com; www.dpreview.com; www.megapixel.net; etc.) and have some hands on experience by trying out the cameras at the camera shops. Try out the features of various cameras and see whether you like them. There are people who swear by certain brands, while some goes for look & feel of the camera. Cost is also an important factor, likewise for features, functionality and portability.

Yeah, trying is the most impt thing to do.
Get a feel of the camera and decide. :think:

W1 battery life is very good according to my friend and it look more stylo with the huge LCD.

Those using A80 are those trying out the manual control and looking to venture into DSLR (llike me) but it works wonderfully as a P&S camera too.
Battery will be alright as long as you are using rechargables. A80 size is ok as long you got a bag (no those small handbag for ladies) with you.

Ixus is for it's compactness. (dunno abt the battery life)

But since it's a baby, i'm sure you'll bring a pram with lots of barang barang.
So compactness wont be much of a problem.

Also last time my friend wanted to buy ixus 500 but is advise by the experts in the forum to get ixus 430. See here

In the end, I bought A80, my two other friends bought Ixus 430 and W1 together respectively at MS accompanied by nightwolf75. :bsmilie:

And i'm pretty sure the 3 of us all still :heart: our camera very much.

Since the budget is $1000, I would think Ixus 500 is more appropriate for a new mother. She would appreciate the compactness, lighter weight, easy usage of Ixus 500.

I am a happy A80 owner :D

Status
Not open for further replies.