ixus 430 VS ixus 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterz

Dec 8, 2003
Singapore, bukit timah
Pls advice which camera i should buy. price diff is abt $40+. What i looking for is quality (thats y i chose canon.).

thank you for your time

Jitterz said:
What i looking for is quality (thats y i chose canon.).

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Heh anyway, for me I would get the IXUS 430. 4mp is already overkill for 4R shots. You could even print nice 8R shots from a 3mp camera. It all depends on the skill of the photographer, and his familiriaty with his camera. Below are two more reasons I'd choose the ISUC 430 over the IXUS 500, other than the monetary difference.

1. 4mp camera file size would be smaller than 5mp file size. So you would be able to store more images into the CF card with the IXUS 430.

2. IXUS 430 would have lesser 'noise' in the image, as both cameras using same size CCD, so less mp would also mean less noise. I have personally seen this difference on the G3 vs G5, as both using same sensor, just that G3 is 4mp, and G5 is 5mp.

With the $40+ you save, you could pop by EastGear and get their 3rd party NB-1LH battery as a spare, as well as get a nice and small Lowepro camera bag from below them at Cathay for around $10.

This is what I recommend to all my friends who ask my advice. Last I heard lowest price with GST was from Alan Photo at $630. Dunno if that's still the case.

mr_jason said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Heh anyway, for me I would get the IXUS 430. 4mp is already overkill for 4R shots. You could even print nice 8R shots from a 3mp camera. It all depends on the skill of the photographer, and his familiriaty with his camera. Below are two more reasons I'd choose the ISUC 430 over the IXUS 500, other than the monetary difference.

1. 4mp camera file size would be smaller than 5mp file size. So you would be able to store more images into the CF card with the IXUS 430.

2. IXUS 430 would have lesser 'noise' in the image, as both cameras using same size CCD, so less mp would also mean less noise. I have personally seen this difference on the G3 vs G5, as both using same sensor, just that G3 is 4mp, and G5 is 5mp.

With the $40+ you save, you could pop by EastGear and get their 3rd party NB-1LH battery as a spare, as well as get a nice and small Lowepro camera bag from below them at Cathay for around $10.

This is what I recommend to all my friends who ask my advice. Last I heard lowest price with GST was from Alan Photo at $630. Dunno if that's still the case.

Ditto that
Bought the 430 over the 500 and spent the money saved on a small Lowepro from Cathay.
Haven't try the battery from Eastgear though

widget said:
Ditto that
Bought the 430 over the 500 and spent the money saved on a small Lowepro from Cathay.

good choice.. :thumbsup:

widget said:
Ditto that

How much is the Lowepro at Cathay? today I bought a small Lowepro pouch for my Ixus from them at $16, wonder did they rip me off..

I have a question of IXUS 4xx and 500 cameras... How different are the capabilities compared to say Canon S60?

I know that obvious difference like focal length. But what about other factors, like what shuttle speeds are available in Tv mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.