ixus 430 Vs A75 Vs A80

Status
Not open for further replies.

mizmei

Jun 22, 2004
Hi everyone,

I'm doing some research before buying my first digicam and am hoping I'll get one that lasts for some time. :)

Does anybody have anything to say about the 3 models? Anything will do. I surfed through the archives and I didn't find any thread comparing these 3 models.

My *dream* camera would be
- at least 3.2 megapixels (4 megapixel even better)
- AA batteries
- at least 3x optical zoom
- max $700 with extra CF card, casing and all that free bundle stuff)

I like ixus' design (as compared to A75/A80, which is bulky) but I prefer AA batteries so... :dunno:

What do you all think?

Thanx in advance!

Ken Rockwell (http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/a70.htm) uses Nikon and Canon SLRs and DSLRs and he reckons that the Canon A60/70/75/80 are fantastic because:

1. They work well
2. The lens is super sharp, even better than the S40/50/55 series.

He owns one and has even done a wedding on it. Bear in mind, he is very opiniated.

I have seen photos from an A40 and I can tell you the lens is good.

I have also met many happy D Ixus owners. Don't worry about rechargeable batteries - 3rd party ones are not that expensive and I would buy an extra one or two to carry around just in case. AA Alkaline can cost a bomb in the long run so you end up buying NiMH ones anyway which are not cheap to start with and have some "memory" unlike the Li-Ion ones that the D Ixus uses (I think it is Li-Ion anyway).

Do you need to have manual fuctions for the camera?
Both are good depending on what you want to use it for.

The Ixus is very compact and looks nice. However it maybe too small for big hands. Yes you can buy one or two extra batteries to bring along for tour. In that case you have to swap it when you need to charge it thru the camera.

For the A75 & A80 they use AA batteries and you can charge it without the camera. If you need to bring it for tour, you can get batteries easily anywhere. Handling wise it is very easy to hold. I've use A40 & A60, the lense is good. Both are 2.1 M. I've no problem with them.

IMHO the 3.1M A75 is sufficient for most people. Going for A80 unless you are prepare to spend money getting large capacity CF card. As technology is changing fast, no point spending money for top model which you may not use the extra function most of the time. :)

tkj said:
The Ixus is very compact and looks nice. However it maybe too small for big hands. Yes you can buy one or two extra batteries to bring along for tour. In that case you have to swap it when you need to charge it thru the camera.

For Ixus 430/500, charging is not thru the camera. It comes w/ a separate charger.

Hey,

Thanx so much guys! I guess I'll just have to go and try it out personally at one of those stores. I'm also looking at Sony's DSC-P73 and am wondering what's wrong with it since it's so cheap (Sony's having some mid year sale now) but I guess it's inappropriate to ask for advice on Sony here? :think:

As for manual functions and whatnot, I'm more of a point and shoot person, literally. I'm those, Wow! I wanna capture that! -whips out camera and take picture- and not, Wow! then take out all kinds of lenses, set up tripod, press all kinds of buttons THEN take picture. You know what I mean? Heh! :bsmilie:

yup the powershot series takes much better pictures in terms of sharpness than the ixus series. i have both to prove.

i used the g2 before and until today, lots of stuff i shot back then could be comparable with the slr sysytem i'm using now for sharpness, esp on single close up objects or portraits.

i have the ixus V3 that takes snaps, most of the quality is not up to standards, in colour and sharpness.

i would recomand a G or A powershot series anyday if your needs bias towards my.

:)

Belle&Sebastain said:
yup the powershot series takes much better pictures in terms of sharpness than the ixus series. i have both to prove.

i used the g2 before and until today, lots of stuff i shot back then could be comparable with the slr sysytem i'm using now for sharpness, esp on single close up objects or portraits.

i have the ixus V3 that takes snaps, most of the quality is not up to standards, in colour and sharpness.

i would recomand a G or A powershot series anyday if your needs bias towards my.

:)

how would the powershot S series compare to the A series in terms of image quality?

Mankul said:
how would the powershot S series compare to the A series in terms of image quality?

i have never use the S series before, why not you get your laptop with a card reader and go to either CP or John 3.16 to try out all their cameras beofre you commit, better still go down to canon centre at funan and test all the cams for sharpest, contrast, metering, better than doing all the guesswork here.

Belle&Sebastain said:
i have never use the S series before, why not you get your laptop with a card reader and go to either CP or John 3.16 to try out all their cameras beofre you commit, better still go down to canon centre at funan and test all the cams for sharpest, contrast, metering, better than doing all the guesswork here.

can actually spent 1 hr testing all the digicam and view it on my laptop... and then walk away without buying anything ah? :bigeyes:

Mankul said:
can actually spent 1 hr testing all the digicam and view it on my laptop... and then walk away without buying anything ah? :bigeyes:

if you go to the funan canon centre, can, cos they are not selling anything, just answering questions and products, so you could go to try to your heart's content! :cheers:

Belle&Sebastain said:
if you go to the funan canon centre, can, cos they are not selling anything, just answering questions and products, so you could go to try to your heart's content! :cheers:

got 1D II with 1200mm to try out ? :bsmilie:

latmo said:
got 1D II with 1200mm to try out ? :bsmilie:

nope, the most advance DSLR they have should be the 300D there and there are only 10 copies of 1200mm f5.6L in the world, dun think that they will put one in funan for testing right? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.