Ixus 40 or Ixus 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftdragon

May 30, 2003
Visit site
Deciding between the Ixus 40 and the Ixus 500. Which one should I get? More incline towards the Ixus 500 as I have a couple of CF cards, but the Ixus 40 is newer.

Any suggestions?

swiftdragon said:
Deciding between the Ixus 40 and the Ixus 500. Which one should I get? More incline towards the Ixus 500 as I have a couple of CF cards, but the Ixus 40 is newer.

Any suggestions?

I'd go with the 40 because it's slimmer, lighter, hence even more portable, and the shutter lag is much less - this from my handling of the two cameras. Else there isn't too much difference in terms of still picture features.

If you're not planning to print larger than A4 or cropping a lot, I don't see much point to the additional megapixel. I also feel that both the 30 and 40 take nicer looking pics than the 400 and 500 before them.

It's a good point about the memory card bit but SD cards are so incredibly cheap these days!

swiftdragon said:

Any suggestions?

Hello swiftdragon, long time no heard from u..
have u thought of other brands too? so the teaching yr saying is onz hah? need any help?

Actually, the camera is not for myself and I am just trying to help source for opinions. I think they have decided to get a canon... and choosing between these 2 cameras.

From what kahheng said, it seems that the ixus 40 is better as the shutter lag is much less. Anyone else used both cams and can comment. They need to buy the camera tomorrow.

Geno: not teaching cos the silly 5 day week has disrupted the schedule and since I am working, I can't go down on weekdays. Am trying to work something out, maybe towards the middle of the year.

kahheng said:
I'd go with the 40 because it's slimmer, lighter, hence even more portable, and the shutter lag is much less - this from my handling of the two cameras. Else there isn't too much difference in terms of still picture features.

If you're not planning to print larger than A4 or cropping a lot, I don't see much point to the additional megapixel. I also feel that both the 30 and 40 take nicer looking pics than the 400 and 500 before them.

It's a good point about the memory card bit but SD cards are so incredibly cheap these days!

yeah i use the ixus 30 and the shots are really good. small compact and short shutter lag. af abit noisy though but no complaints. the image is noisy at 400 iso. shooting at iso 50 in day light gives best results. there is manual wb which is really useful.

dont know much about the 500... so i can only share my good experience with the 30.

ixus 40 wud be nicer. jus my 2 cents worth that is :D

Status
Not open for further replies.