it's going up again....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nisa

Aug 13, 2004
ERP Charges Up Again: 32 CBD Gantries from July 7

An extra five new gantries coming up along Singapore River.
Maria Almenoar

Tue, Jun 17, 2008
The Straits Times

The roads are getting pricier from July 7.

Five new gantries, forming a cordon along the Singapore River Line, will go live to regulate the evening traffic flow from 6pm to 8pm, bringing the total number of gantries to 65.

In what is seen as the most extensive revision of Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) here since its implementation 10 years ago, another 32 gantries in the Central Business District (CBD), including those around Orchard Road, will also have their charges increased.

Rates are being revised mostly during the evening time slots because speeds have fallen steadily during the home-rush hours.

The Government is going to fix this by doing three things.

The biggest change is that if you pay, you will get to enjoy a smooth flowing ride - which is not always the case now.

Motorists can expect to pay as much as $2 more per gantry.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is also using a new method to measure the traffic flow to ensure that 85 per cent of all motorists using a priced road will experience optimal speeds, which are between 20 and 30kmh on arterial roads and, 45kmh and 65kmh on expressways.

ERP increments up

The second change is that increments will be at $1 and the starting price for any new gantry is $2.

At the current increments of 50 cents, many motorists do not feel the pinch.

LTA said it revised nine ERP rate changes in 2006 and another 25 rate changes last year to keep drivers off these roads.

The third change is to discourage motorists clogging up city roads by using them as a thoroughfare.

This will, hopefully, be solved by the new gantries along the Singapore River line which will charge motorists $2 from 6pm to 8pm.

The alternative is to make your opinions known, vote wisely.

These ERP charges are silly, just raise the CBD entry charges and be done with it, why put up more gantries within the CBD district?

Don't want too many cars in the CBD, built a couple of multi-storey carparks at strategic locations just outside the CBD and demolish those at Market Street.

Sian 1/2

i due get it. when they impliment coe, they say prevent congestion. come out with road tax, is to prevent congestion. blardy hell. pertrol tax...... also prevent congestion. ;(

Just need to work out the timing of those tricky little overhead bridges and beat it :p
or stay home or out of town!! :D

what the Crap....

3/4 Tank rule is to curb cngestion, someone on top say one.

what the Crap....

3/4 Tank rule is to curb cngestion, someone on top say one.

:what:

*looks at one motoring website*

causeway jam sure looks "curbed":bsmilie:

later also LTA need all bicycles to have ICU units on the bicycle, by than i think singapore will have protest liao..:bsmilie:

heheh...well I use to cycle to work and I am working toward doing it again too. The LTA is getting too silly. I suspect the more gantries you have the more complication and that means you have more cars going nuts on the road looking for the cheapest way into town. It was efficient at one point ...and now..it is really doing more harm then good. Choke full of gantries making things worst and well making more money. I say keep you cars at home lah if you are a borderline car owner. Towkays will drive to work...the rest just get out of their way.

They seem to have forgotten to tweak this slowly and in as far apart a time frame so we people will not notice it too soon but now..it is like blantant adjusting heheh.. Granted we have a traffice problem but really, is this the only game in town? Is this the only way to control and ease congestion? Cut 15% from road tax and take back more from the other hand heheh.

Well you can't change the situation so you got to change yourself. Do without a car if you can. They are too single minded to want to use this as the only tool to ease congestion so until something else comes along well...stay off the road or get a bike heheh...What is there left to say. You can't stop it...they are already implemented.

I am more worried about myself and the many who cannot afford a car and take public transport... as today's papers say number of SMRT riders have increased by quite a bit..... I foresee public transport fares rising again... I can just see it "SMRT and SBS cites high passenger volume and need to put more services to cope with demand. Hence apply to Public Transport Council for fare increase" "Public Transport Council approves fare increase"

Sigh we are the poor ones who have no money to buy car and end up have to pay the price for the govt's decision to rake in revenue from car owners.

right hand give and left hand take double portions..:thumbsd:

I am more worried about myself and the many who cannot afford a car and take public transport... as today's papers say number of SMRT riders have increased by quite a bit..... I foresee public transport fares rising again... I can just see it "SMRT and SBS cites high passenger volume and need to put more services to cope with demand. Hence apply to Public Transport Council for fare increase" "Public Transport Council approves fare increase"

Sigh we are the poor ones who have no money to buy car and end up have to pay the price for the govt's decision to rake in revenue from car owners.

Increase in passenger volume should see an increase in income.

:what:

*looks at one motoring website*

causeway jam sure looks "curbed":bsmilie:

Talking about Causeway Jam, I got so much to say.
Can we have a theard delicated to the jam at the check points?:D

Increase in passenger volume should see an increase in income.

yeah but they never say that.... instead the public transport companies will quote figures of how much more manpower they need to get, more trains they need to put on the line etc etc and then end of the year post a handsome profit..

with economic expansion and progress, the working population would expand. residential zoning (particularly HDBs) would be pushed away from town, making the need to travel by car/motorbikes more necessary as the traffic load increases (traffic load is equivalent to number of commuters x travel distance) and it cannot be efficiently served by existing 'fan shaped' subway network. When traffic load increases, congestion is unavoidable . simple science.
there is no way to avoid it except to reduce it by careful urban planning and decentralization of CBDs.
ERPs alone without diffusion of CBDs away from the traditional shenton way area would not solve anything. it only frustrates the commuters and deregulate their travel patterns.

a good example of successful decentralization of business zones (or rather decentralized business zones) is taipei. the business zones are very dispersed around the different areas of the city.
taxis also don't need to wait for booking fees since there are no such thing as in and out of CBD (no doubt there are some notoriously busy streets/artery roads) since every destination is likely to fetch another commuter.

Status
Not open for further replies.