It's confirmed. MRT and Bus fares increase from 1/7/02

Status
Not open for further replies.
let me shed some light why the prices of the transport fees are increased.

The bus companies and SMRT are regulated using the CPI+X formula.

Despite the name, CPI has very little impact, esp when the fluactuation is very minimal in Singapore.

The formula actually boils down to the fuel costs. if fuel costs increase, these companies can actually ask for a price increment, i.e these companies are passing on the fuel cost to the consumers.

I personally feel that such a regulatory formula is unfair to the consumers cos the consumers have no control over the fuel costs of these companies. The public transport companies can hedge/lock in their fuel costs by entering buying financial instruments to prevent such fluctuations. Instead of doing so, they just ignore the high fuel oil prices and pass on the risks to the consumers. This is really unfair.

Let me pre-warn every one, the next increment will be the electricity bills, watch for it, I am 99% confident that it will increase.

Originally posted by ninelives
aiya, my cigarette also increase. one packet cost $7.50. I finished it in a day.

think you ought to thank the govt, cos they are trying to save ur life :D

aiya, my cigarette also increase. one packet cost $7.50. I finished it in a day.

$7.50? one more dollar can buy a roll of Provia 100F. A dollar less can get a roll of Kodak EliteChrome 100EC!

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

$7.50? one more dollar can buy a roll of Provia 100F. A dollar less can get a roll of Kodak EliteChrome 100EC!

Regards
CK

:thumbsup:

Any idea how much a lung transplant will cost?? Must thank the govt. for saving u.

Originally posted by Klause

Any idea how much a lung transplant will cost?? Must thank the govt. for saving u.

where can lung transplant one? Just for those smokers out there, if suay suay cancer strikes you (touch wood), the treatment can easily hit more than $100k, me not trying to scare you, I have seen real life experiences (yes more than one experience) that smokers got cancers.

It is a matter of time, me some time dun understand why pple spend $$$$ to kill themselves!!! sigh

Any1 notice the can drink at hawker centre has increased to $1.20 or more per can. Formerly I used to pay $1.10. Even B**gerking has increased prices.

Originally posted by LifeWorld
Any1 notice the can drink at hawker centre has increased to $1.20 or more per can. Formerly I used to pay $1.10. Even B**gerking has increased prices.

Umm.. just to clear things up.. the govt change GST from
3 % - 50 % or 3% - 5% .

B**gerking use PETROL mah... tat y haf to increase like SB*

Umm.. just to clear things up.. the govt change GST from
3 % - 50 % or 3% - 5% .

B**gerking use PETROL mah... tat y haf to increase like SB*

Hawkers do not follow GST percentage. Think they are very happy to have GST increase. Some already increased a bowl of noodle by 50cts (From $2.50 increased to $3.) upon hearing GST hike. You can't find a $2.55 per bowl of noodle!!! They round it up to $3 :rbounce:

If govt really want to save him, might as well ban smoking. They see cigarette as another source of revenue.

Originally posted by mlwang

where can lung transplant one? Just for those smokers out there, if suay suay cancer strikes you (touch wood), the treatment can easily hit more than $100k, me not trying to scare you, I have seen real life experiences (yes more than one experience) that smokers got cancers.

It is a matter of time, me some time dun understand why pple spend $$$$ to kill themselves!!! sigh

This kind of thing very tough to explain lar. Take our govt for example. Even we know that they will squeeze us we still vote for them. :thumbsd:

Originally posted by mlwang
let me shed some light why the prices of the transport fees are increased.

The bus companies and SMRT are regulated using the CPI+X formula.

Despite the name, CPI has very little impact, esp when the fluactuation is very minimal in Singapore.

The formula actually boils down to the fuel costs. if fuel costs increase, these companies can actually ask for a price increment, i.e these companies are passing on the fuel cost to the consumers.

I personally feel that such a regulatory formula is unfair to the consumers cos the consumers have no control over the fuel costs of these companies. The public transport companies can hedge/lock in their fuel costs by entering buying financial instruments to prevent such fluctuations. Instead of doing so, they just ignore the high fuel oil prices and pass on the risks to the consumers. This is really unfair.

Let me pre-warn every one, the next increment will be the electricity bills, watch for it, I am 99% confident that it will increase.

Heard tat phone rate will increase too.... Soooo many things increase this year... living getting tougher... but salaries no increase leh.... :(

Theses days want to find 10cents toilet also hard... all 20cents liao. 100% increase sia... worse than GST. ;p

I believe ppl are taking advantage of the hike .

Phone bill is comfirmed to be increasing soon.

quoted from "Singapore National Education Part 80"
by mr brown

Point
21. That the new contactless ez-link card system cost $300 million to implement, in order to fight commuters cheating on bus fares, that was costing bus companies $13 million a year.

Either this will take them 23 years to recoup, or someone down the line will end up paying more for this new technology, which incidentally, failed on the day that some Transport minister was supposed to preview it. Apparently, the software had bugs. Haven't start spoilt already.

I figure it will take commuters 23 days to find a way to beat the system (here's one: a few stops after you get up the bus, you scan your card at the exit, but get down with the masses later).

Ez-link, way up there in usefulness with EMAS and GPS for Taxis.

http://www.mrbrown.com/sne80.html

There goes my Singapore shares $.....the next opportunity...i will take out all the $$...no point keeping....what they give us.... still taken back...in the form of increased consumer prices (coz they increase tax on manufacturers and services.) Like my parents say...."where got so good give free money....they wan to earn brownie points for election...then tax us dry in coming years...they dun lose anything)

For me i feel....there's isnt much improvement in transport services...other than more air-con buses on the road.....there are still rude drivers, spoilt buses(yes encountered many of them...air-con is spoilt), long waiting times, breakdowns...etc etc. It's such a farce when they claim we have already reaped the benefits of a better service....like we take the bus every 2 hours to reap the benefits.....even if so...probably they will increase the price coz we utilize the transports often....blah.

That's how it feels to me....

Singaporeans have a lot of complains of problems in Singapore...but where do problems come from?

Singaporeans themselves..... Money is a neccessary evil....make people want more and more...sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.