It's a wrap 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pointblankshots

Apr 2, 2004
Dear all,

I'm doing up another It's A wrap... I wouldn't know how popular is this, and it's not exactly low cost, but if you guys do some maths, you'll see othwewise...
Here's a more detailed course structure.

Course contents includes briefly like this..

1: Feel & touches of people photography, Why People Photography, who's suited, who's not?
2: Lighting techniques vs outdoors lightings
3: Stylist assisted shoot vs self assisted wardrobe in a commercial shoot
4: Quality vs Quantity photography
5: Planning for Photography Portfolio
6: The route, making money out of end consumers, or commercial ad agency
7: Finding a creative team that works for you
8: Job: Talents or models?
9: Equipment - Needs and wants, what you really need
10: Different ways to sell your photography
11: 4 Group test shoot

Roughly, above are the topics. As I prepare the finer details to the course structure and notes. I'll roll this course off if I get enough participants though.. That's a total of 8 sessions. Course fee will be SGD 800.00 per person... Looks like I can take up to 10 people...

This course is targetted at people who's got sick of their day jobs, and would like to think that photography would be the next advancement route... It also would help those who're into finer details of photography and not wanting to advance into this trade, but would like to be professional but still a weekend shooter... Many asked me if this course would have been a conflict to what I'm currently doing. I think not, simply because the trade of people photography relies on many elements, PR, professional on photography, a strong sense of leadership... Get one wrong, and everything screws... This course teaches, but everybody's route is different...

I don't do this course thing often, those who knows me by now would know I make ghostly appearance in clubsnap... So I'm asking, take some time, think about this course, and let the names roll... I did adjust the price up to cover my running cost, I'm sure if you use your calculator and calculate the payouts, you would know what I've left is mediocre, just wanna do it good for those really serious enthusiast..

Course starts on 11 Oct 2006. and ends on 16 December 2006. 10 weeks in all:

11 Oct - Theory from 2000hrs - 2200 hrs
18 Oct - Theory from 2000hrs - 2200 hrs
25 Oct - Theory from 2000hrs - 2200 hrs
11 Nov - Shoot from 1830hrs - 2200 hrs
18 Nov - Shoot from 0800hrs - 1500 hrs
22 Nov - Debrief from 2000hrs - 2200hrs
09 Dec - Shoot from 0800hrs - 1500 hrs
16 Dec - Shoot from 0800hrs - 1500 hrs

I have a couple of names now. Here's who's keen:

01. frostyintrepid??
02. simon80
03. Nessie??

If there's anything unclear, do PM me..

Many Thanks,

PBS

update.

01. simon80
02. Nessie??

Many Thanks,

PBS

PICT0028.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

QTnC1.jpg

qt_0023.jpg

cass_0078.jpg

Learn to produce images like these ..... it will only get better as he evaluates his course outline

Upzz for a ex-mentor, PBS as most of us have gone 'down the mountain' to produce our signature images.....

update.

01. simon80
02. Nessie??
03. WAINISM (for a friend)

Many Thanks,

PBS

wah ahv u managed to dig out all the old photos ;p
anyway it's an eye-opener :bigeyes: going thru the class ... worth every cent.
upzzz for my shifu! :)

upzZ for this :)

AhV AhV,

You've been the only graduate who turned pro. I saw this day coming for you. Kudos for believing in yourself. You've done well. Thanks for the kind words, I would have done nothing if not because you guys were serious in the first place...

We'll have steamboat again... kekekeke...

PBS

wah ahv u managed to dig out all the old photos ;p
anyway it's an eye-opener :bigeyes: going thru the class ... worth every cent.
upzzz for my shifu! :)

and Mr....You're next on the list to follow suit AhV...My eyes on ya...:cool:

*rare knock on PBS door* upz for a friend and shifu too :)

You'll never look at the images the same way after the class :) Kudos to a teacher who's willing to offer you an alternative view through the viewfinder. :D

*rare knock on PBS door* upz for a friend and shifu too :)

You'll never look at the images the same way after the class :) Kudos to a teacher who's willing to offer you an alternative view through the viewfinder. :D

you vanish into thin air, now you appeared... Where the hell you went?:bsmilie:

a bit more plugging for you ced ...

Most of us from the blast lightings group have learnt a lot from our previous sessions with you, and while most of us never did go pro, or into the fashion direction, most of what we learnt definitely helped us in the other aspects of our photography... just look at all the fine students you've managed to churn out... ok, maybe except marr larr

a bit of ot...

i'm pretty sure he can't tell u ... :sweatsm: u know larr :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

If you been shooting in a rut - every thing the pictures all look the same - this is the course for you. It will shake up the way you look at things - change your perspective. Make you look at your fundamentals and ask why I am doing this every time when I can also do this or that or a little bit of this and that. Free your mind the rest will follow.....ahuhuh it better or you get transparent fast. AHV how did you link images to this thread - insert controls in reply to thread seem deactivated.

a bit more plugging for you ced ...

Most of us from the blast lightings group have learnt a lot from our previous sessions with you, and while most of us never did go pro, or into the fashion direction, most of what we learnt definitely helped us in the other aspects of our photography... just look at all the fine students you've managed to churn out... ok, maybe except marr larr

a bit of ot...

i'm pretty sure he can't tell u ... :sweatsm: u know larr :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Rather I was kinda privileged to have such enthusiastic learners dude...Without your enthusiasm, all teaching and guidance are mediocre...You haven't posted in a quite also ah???

If you been shooting in a rut - every thing the pictures all look the same - this is the course for you. It will shake up the way you look at things - change your perspective. Make you look at your fundamentals and ask why I am doing this every time when I can also do this or that or a little bit of this and that. Free your mind the rest will follow.....ahuhuh it better or you get transparent fast. AHV how did you link images to this thread - insert controls in reply to thread seem deactivated.

Photography is teamwork, I'm sure by now those who sat in for the course would have known. The photographer carries the pride of many people... The strong force of pressure made it better for a photographer to perform under harsh circumstances sometimes, because that way, you know you can't fail. Less the "Wu-Song Da Hu" thread, that one really caught me off....

There are always rules binding photography, in no matter which way you look at it... Just that some rules can be broken, some cannot... It takes a thinking photographer which ones to break at the moment of shooting...

Shooting till date, I'm still bothered by rules that were not meant to be broken, constantly finding a way to bend the rules, and thus making a certain image look arresting... The learning never did stop... Practice makes perfect, to practice needs financial investment, thus making money out of photography seems to be the perfect answer... To get there, we all need exposure...

Give some thought about it guys...

tho i've never worked with you before, but have worked with few of the photographers tt have attended your classes. their works are good!

well.. if no great master, where got good students?

upz for ya! ;)

Haha... well, catch up with ya over coffee one of these days... :) been very busy at work and stuff... but oh well... not a good excuse yeah? lol...

Let's not OT lah... :)

Nice hearing from all though *smiles*

Would have loved to attend a course like this - although I've no intentions of turning 'pro' but I want to improve/learn skills in this line for my own enjoyment. However at this time of the year, for me and I think a lot of others, we tend to plan trips overseas. For me at least, I'll be away for about 5 of the proposed dates so unfortnately, its a 'no-go' for me. Wish it can be held early next year. Wish you all the best!:thumbsup:

Give some thought about it guys...............

At your invitation to give some thoughts about what you wrote, I will briefly write what went through my mind when I saw what you wrote. In actual fact, I have been thinking A LOT on such issues for a very long time!

pointblankshots said:
Photography is teamwork,

This statement as it stands, without further clarification and explanation, is, to me, a little incorrect and somewhat misleading.

Let me clarify it for you, although you alluded to it in the phrase following that statement. You were referring to your image and your workshop.

Of course, no man stands alone. We need the camera makers to make the cameras, and of course the petroleum industry to give us materials to make the plastics for the camera parts, etc etc etc. And the transport industry to help people get to your studio for the workshops. But of course I do not think your word "teamwork" meant all this.

My understanding of your word "teamwork" comes from the first post in this thread "Finding a creative team that works for you". So you are talking about a group of people like the artistic/concept/theme director, the hair stylist, the makeup artist, the fashion/apparel stylist, the location resource person, the lighting expert, the photographer (of course!), the post processing/DI expert, the publicist, the marketing manager etc etc.

So there you are, FOR YOU, you need a team. BUT ONLY FOR THE KIND OF PHOTOGRAPHY YOU DO. Well, at least for the kind of images you show here. Your statement "Photography is teamwork" applies to your kind of imagery.

Yes I am aware that to make images (Still or video) like those of NG, also requires teamwork. Obviously a LOT goes into making such images. But I do not think you were thinking of this when you wrote that comment. You were talking aabout your kind of imagery.

And to be successful as a profitable photography business also requires teamwork.

BUT PHOTOGRAPHY ITSELF, does it require team work?

Some of my photography friends, with images (OK, let me confine the imagery to people images) collected by museums, work totally alone. In fact they abhor working in teams. Too much noise. Maybe they might not be as successful financially as some of the professionals here. But hey, their images are collected by museums. And I can name a lot of photographers like them.

OK, let us not talk about my talented friends. Let me just talk about CS here.

Without naming names, I see many beautiful and creative images made by photographers with just their cameras alone, making images with their creative eyes. These include street photography of people and events, landscapes, flowers, abstracts, etc.

Were these photographic images made with teamwork?

Hardly!

Well, to you, your photography requires teamwork. When you wish to photograph hairdo, you need a hairdo expert, because you may not know how to make those hair. When you wish to photograph paints on the face, you will need a make-up artist, because you may not know how to paint the face. When you wish to photogrpah clothes, you will need a fashion expert to chose the right garments for you. When one needs creative ideas, then one may need a "artistic director". When one wish to let the world know about your images, then a marketing manager maybe required. All these of course requires money. Who works for free? We all need to eat! So, to make the kind of images you wish to make and to make it financially viable, with profitability in consideration, you need teamwork for your photography.

To me, my photography of people do not require teamwork. Well you might consider the photographer and model working together as "teamwork". I only work with the model alone. I do not want teamwork for my photography. None of my images here are made with teamwork (well sometimes I join photoshoots, and a MUA paints the face! But when I asked the same model for a one-one shoot- that paint goes off!) And I also do not take profitability into consideration.

For those of us who work without a "team", how have we done? People, landscape, abstracts, flowers, everyday life, etc. How have we done without teamwork? Or would our works be better if we take a fashion consultant and a MUA when we photograph old folks in China town?

To many of us here, who love photography and the joy it gives, teamwork is not a necessity. Just a camera, enjoyment of what is before us, and the desire to put that vision on to the sensor.

pointblankshots said:
There are always rules binding photography, in no matter which way you look at it... Just that some rules can be broken, some cannot... It takes a thinking photographer which ones to break at the moment of shooting...

To me, there is only one rule to photography that should not be broken, or if it were to be broken, with great consideration.

That rule is: Your photograph should convey what you wish it to convey. Whether other people like it or not is of secondary importance.

Status
Not open for further replies.