Items already infected with Fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

photofolder

Jul 4, 2007
I've some slides and video camera tapes already infected with fungus:angry:. If I put it into the dry cabinet, that will cause infection to spread to other items, won't it? How then, to prevent further deterioration of the precious slides?

This fungus thingie really can eat into even normal negatives, is best suggestion to buy a 2nd smaller cabinet for infected items? Will the fungus spores die in the dry cabinet or will it continue spreading baby spores:dunno:, albeit at slower pace?

you need fungicide. drycab onli slows the process. and yes, if you put wif uninfected equipments, you risk infection.

you need fungicide. drycab onli slows the process. and yes, if you put wif uninfected equipments, you risk infection.

Can I check with you where can I get fungicide? Thanks.

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

sorry, I can't recommend.

can't recommend bcos not available in Singapore or there is no such product...

after cleaning, use sun light or UV light to kill the fungus? :dunno:

can't recommend cuz, I never tried such products on lenses before. :sweat:

Oh I see...I thought there is a special product for our euquipments....thanks anyway. :)

I've some slides and video camera tapes already infected with fungus:angry:. If I put it into the dry cabinet, that will cause infection to spread to other items, won't it? How then, to prevent further deterioration of the precious slides?

This fungus thingie really can eat into even normal negatives, is best suggestion to buy a 2nd smaller cabinet for infected items? Will the fungus spores die in the dry cabinet or will it continue spreading baby spores:dunno:, albeit at slower pace?

i suggest that u keep it in another dry cabi

there is fungus in the air everywhere in the form of spores. unless you have an industrial clean room even your dry cab air will have these spores. A dry cab decreases humidity and makes it a less friendly environment for fungus to grow.

I doubt fungicides will be of much use frankly, because there is just so much fungus flying around. one of my professors just waved a plate of agar through the air once, and left it to grow in an incubator, and it grew lotsa different types of tropical fungus.

my stuff is always kept clean and dry, without fungicide I have 10-15 year old lenses in pristine condition just with sillica gel (last time) and dry cab alone.

fungus spread through spores that float around in the air and will grow on the stuff they come into contact with so better take out the infected items... spores will not die off so easily, to kill them you either expose them to extreme heat (bye bye slides) or buy some fungicide... you can get it here....

http://www.perfectpixelcameraparts.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=42

i've never used it before so can't comment on it's effectiveness... maybe you can try it out and let us know... but if i were you, i will use the fungicide AND take out the infected items... fungicide to kill off any remainning spores in your drybox....

Fungicide will not destroy negatives, slides, tapes - is it? As in, won't create microscopic damages, e.g. spore-size acidic holes on precious surface :D?

Regarding dry-cab, then what happens to all those cameras in all the camera stores and shops that are awaiting new owners? How come some can last so long on shelves without dry cab? Are the stuff fungus-resistant on the silicone pack alone? Won't some of them already be accumulating spores, with fungus forming actively in-process? When shops close and sealed up for the night, it's even more stuffy than house conditions. I ask because it seems from this, that silicone packs are equally effective against fungus as dry-cab? So are folks using dry-cab more because it's cheaper and more convenient in the long run, as compared to silicone, say, in an airtight box?

Status
Not open for further replies.