ITE Students Shouldn't Have Nice Campus

I don't think it's fair to say that the letter says that "ITE students shouldn't have nice campuses". Nowhere did the writer say that - the furthest I could stretch myself to deduce was that he didn't think that ITE students appreciated their facilities. That isn't quite the same as what your thread title says.

There are a few distinct points being made here - the first is that facilities matter in a learning environment. I think no one can deny that; the second is that better students deserve an equal or better learning environment because they have done better academically. That's a matter which is debateable; one side could argue that public spending should be channeled towards those who seem to have an disadvantage; the other side could argue that resources should be spent on those who fit better in the system. I would think that in modern context, the first sounds more palatable (and politically correct, incidentally).

it sounded like

"using ITE as a bench mark, we shld upgrade everything else accordingly"

rather than

"ITE students should not have nice campuses"

anyways, i think its overrated. sometimes even state of the art, new campuses sometimes cannot rival old campuses.

within my short 6 years, my school has moved campus 3 times. (u can guess from here)

out of all the campuses, the first 2 was the best. the last was a totally new school building.

the first 2 were surrounded by lush nature, very cooling, very little traffic. those campuses were old no doubt, but it was more than capable of meeting a lot of our needs.

the last one given was poorly designed (genius of an architect designed the aircon compressors right below the jc student block), surrounded on 4 sides with traffic, and located smack right beside an industrial district.

I drove past one such ITE campus and I thought it was a university. Its really very nice. Should check it out if you have not seen one. Very good facilities. Hope the ITE students can make full use of it.

When i am read the article, i felt the writer is like one of the aunty in a hk drama who talks about high class and goes to temple and pray for greed while having a horrible lousy selfish attitude to people.

Anyway, i do agree with the that idea that having such property, it is wrong of them to damage them. But i am sure that in any school, there will be such incident, just a matter of the amount.

I drove past one such ITE campus and I thought it was a university. Its really very nice. Should check it out if you have not seen one. Very good facilities. Hope the ITE students can make full use of it.

U shld have a look how dilapidated some areas in NUS are.. :cry:

The article quotes evidence from graffiti on tables as ITE students taking the privilege for granted, simply a sweeping statement, generalizing one case as a situation... I wont read too much into this article.

Nothing is equal, make the best out of it. If funding is concentrated on higher lvls of education, we will be worsening income inequality, widening social classes, hindering upward social mobility and creating more social stress. I dun tink the author considered other factors involved, let us juz close this issue as plain ignorance.

the writer is blatantly stating that ITE students do not deserve what they've gotten.

what i feel is that while yes, they've taken for granted the beautiful surroundings they have to study in, the actual intent was to give them a nicer environment to concentrate on their studies.

i can also say, that the JC and Poly students don't need to be coaxed to study, because where they've gotten is already ahead of the ITE students. hence there isn't a need for nice facilities.

This is honestly true.

Back in 2003 or 2004 I was still studying in a secondary school in tanah merah area and ITE college east was just built.

The disparity of building quality between my secondary school & all JCs in the east vs ITE College East even until 2007 was very big. Well that's because ITE College East is still very new. My cousin switched to ITE Macpherson to College East just because it was too beautiful and have fantastic facilities... i think it has a seafood restaurant for training purposes?!

Honestly I don't know what MOE is trying to prove at times. And when I worked at ITE College East in 2008 for 3 days (international event)... I realized EXACTLY what the purpose was... you should have seen the delegates in the nice ITE College East lecture theatre.

When I was in an east area JC back in 2007 United Nations delegates visited my school (why my JC which is not even top 10?... no idea) and by stroke of bad luck it rained heavy... delegates where greeted by water due to ventilation shaft error over their heads in the main lecture hall. Student councilors had to bring in mops and buckets and it was chaos. The visiting minister had to calm the crowd by saying "In the chinese culture, water means good luck".

This is a very good reason to have nice and easily accessible campuses. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
when a school is upgraded, a lot of planning has to go into place. relocation of students to other facilities, costs for renovations etc.

i'm not sure how many schools there are in singapore that require upgrading, but it'll be very expensive.

that's why, when my secondary school underwent a total face-lift, most of us were relocated all over the place. we had to have so many fundraisers because MOE wasn't going to pay for everything FOC.

also, the school board and principal are supposed to do their due diligence in proposing their ideas to MOE.

so don't complain to MOE. complain to your school.

oh and, it takes years for fundraising. my school's fundraiser took over 4 years and i graduated before the building was completed. needless to say, at that point of time, all of us as students felt it was ridiculous because we didn't get to use the new facilities, yet we were the ones who helped raise all those funds.

so tell those who demand better facilities, are they willing to slog off now for the betterment of their future students? or are they too selfish to care about the how it happens?

what's the fuss? the school can upgrade what?

those nicer school building cos they are built more recently then those older ones, how to compare?

u dun expect those newer schools to build from the same mould design as those older schools right?

Example, Ngee Ann Poly can well afford to do a major facelift but I dun see them doing so? And which year were the campus built? How can compare with the ITE - East Collegue? They are of different era.

what's the fuss? the school can upgrade what?

those nicer school building cos they are built more recently then those older ones, how to compare?

u dun expect those newer schools to build from the same mould design as those older schools right?

Example, Ngee Ann Poly can well afford to do a major facelift but I dun see them doing so? And which year were the campus built? How can compare with the ITE - East Collegue? They are of different era.

LOL bro... they already are starting work. the entire perimeter of the campus is undergoing renovations. they tore down the old Business Faculty blocks and built new ones. they're doing the same for the science faculties now.

& have you seen the million $$$ sports field in NP, & the new sports complex etc :) This is just a case of "sour grapes", of people who feel that those who are smart should have the best of everything ... :(

Last edited:
yea bros. i've seen it. but the interior still looks like a flatted factory :bsmilie:

soon we'll have smart guys clamoring for the same care that special needs people have.