ITE student, 16 killed in road accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckard

Oct 13, 2006
An accident in jurong yesterday evening left a cyclist dead and a family school holiday outing ruined.

the cyclist, Wong Wan Cai, a 16 year old ITE student was pronounced dead at 6.20pm. His bicycle and the car had collided at around 6pm along yuan ching road.

The driver, his wife and 2 young children, were on their way to suntec city for a food festival.

the bicycle was flung 5 m across the road, and the cyclist was believed to have crashed onto the windscreen of the car, shattering it.

The driver, who is a facilities manager, said:" I feel very sad. It is just too hard to describe how I feel right now."

His son, aged six, who saw what happened, said:" I'm very scared."

-straits times 17 March 2007

Please build bicycle lanes to prevent anymore deaths like this occuring!

bicycles lanes wont help to prevent accidents from happening. especially since SG is land scarce, it is a waste of resources. best remedy is always good riding/driving habits.

though the idea of bicycle lane for the safety of cyclists is good. land-scarce sg will not really work out as the number of cyclists using the road isn't really that many.

though the idea of bicycle lane for the safety of cyclists is good. land-scarce sg will not really work out as the number of cyclists using the road isn't really that many.

So Ban cycling....singapore is quite good at that! :) Ban Motor Cycle too! For me 2 mode of transport. Can afford it, Drive Car. Cannot afford take public transport.

That's real sad.

Guess the drivers and cyclists must be more careful, since a cycle lane is not possible. I almost slammed into cyclists few times before ... those young punks just 'fly' out of nowhere without even looking. Once I was driving into a multi-storey carpark and guess what ... a teenager on his bike appeared from the carpark entrance. He just ignored me when I horned (and offered him my middle finger) and rode away. Duh!

during my poly days , i ever nearly hit onto a kid on a cycle when he was crossing the zebra crossing without checking , i was on my biking filtering into the left.. unfortunately nuthin happen

that is the problem. too bad the police do not enforce/ dont have traffic rules for cyclists. JP law actually classify cyclists as second class users of walkway. They are not allowed on the roads with cars.

1. Not allowed to honk at pedestrians to make way for them.
2. Cannot interfere with the pedestrians` passage for their own sake.
3. On crowded passages, they are to push instead of riding their bikes.

Well not entirely enforced, they are still pretty well behaved most of the time. Both sides make way for each other. That is the understanding that the society lacks.

during my poly days , i ever nearly hit onto a kid on a cycle when he was crossing the zebra crossing without checking , i was on my biking filtering into the left.. unfortunately nuthin happen
unfortunately?

Please your title....;(
The news of the accident is bad and 16 killed is worst......;(

very unfortunate event

early march, a 10 yo son of berwin see died after being in coma for a no of days. he was knocked down by a taxi while he was cycling home in toa payoh after tuition. parents were distraught and grieving.

Very sad case. My sincere condolence to the family.

Looking forward, I think we should restrict all cyclist on the road, and only allow them in the parks and connecting paths. Roads in Singapore are built for motorised vehicles and pedestrians.

As a driver, I had almost run into a cyclist when turning in a cross road junction. The cyclist just came out from nowhere while I was turning right, even after the red man is up! Anyway, cyclist should 'dismount' from their bicycle when crossing the road, and not cycle over it.

So Ban cycling....singapore is quite good at that! :) Ban Motor Cycle too! For me 2 mode of transport. Can afford it, Drive Car. Cannot afford take public transport.

A lot of Malaysians sure kenna affected if this ban is imposed.

that is the problem. too bad the police do not enforce/ dont have traffic rules for cyclists. JP law actually classify cyclists as second class users of walkway. They are not allowed on the roads with cars.

1. Not allowed to honk at pedestrians to make way for them.
2. Cannot interfere with the pedestrians` passage for their own sake.
3. On crowded passages, they are to push instead of riding their bikes.

Well not entirely enforced, they are still pretty well behaved most of the time. Both sides make way for each other. That is the understanding that the society lacks.

Not to be disrespectful to the deceased...but tens and hundreds of cyclist in flashy, (or rather fleshy?) thight outfits invades the roads on weekends...just like the illegal motorbike races, ...just wonder why non has been booked yet if the above is true. Anyway, many cyclists tend to behave as road users or pavement users according to their whims....both motorist and padestrian are at risk if they are not alert.

No need, got better suggestion.

Everyone must pass driving test once every year.

Confirm all guai guai already. Check blind spots, observe speed limits. And most importantly, will drive very courteously like learners like me because no choice. =D

Hi All,

First of all My sincere condolence to the family.

Most of the time cyclists are youngsters. These youngsters normally very active,fast thinking and stylish. They are the future of singapore. I wont like to impose ban on cycle/cyclists What we cannot and should not do is :

1) Banning Cycles.
2) Seperate lane for Cyclists.

What we can do:

a) In schools and Colleges, let them teach students about the value of life and teach them good riding/driving habits.
b) Keep Notices inside the school and it should always be visible to all the students and teens about the good hapit of riding/driving. Indirectly, tell them what will happen if they do not ride/drive properly. Can quote some incidents to scare them of the bad habits.

c)At home parents should tell their children to be careful while they cycle out from home.

d) All news paper in Singapore, should allocate some space on their newspapers for this to tell the youngsters about good habit of riding/driving cycle/motorcycle/cars etc (considering young singaporeans are affected by this knowingly or unknowingly). I would appreciate, if they place some statistics everyday/once in a week on the paper for year about this kind of incidents (like foreign exchange rate) once a week, this should really scare not only youngsters also others and make them ride/drive vehicles properly with more caution.

Regards
Ramke

A lot of Malaysians sure kenna affected if this ban is imposed.

There are always public transport for them. Take bus from Johor. Not sure how many Malaysia bikers I almost killed on BKE everyday. They think they own the expressway!

Status
Not open for further replies.