Itching for an Imac G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbuff

Aug 18, 2004
www.pbase.com
Hi any pc users here itching for an Imac? I have always been a PC user and have never really used Apple but have always wanted to own one... Have u met apple users and they always say "Once you try apple, u never want to go back to PC" and that makes me so curious. Of course, i just think that an Imac/PowerPC or Mini in the living room/study makes such a gd conversation piece.

Haha...prefer the interface.
Anyway why dont u wait for the intel macs to come
out first? Maybe could have even faster macs then the
ones now.

digitalbuff said:
Hi any pc users here itching for an Imac? I have always been a PC user and have never really used Apple but have always wanted to own one... Have u met apple users and they always say "Once you try apple, u never want to go back to PC" and that makes me so curious. Of course, i just think that an Imac/PowerPC or Mini in the living room/study makes such a gd conversation piece.

You might want to wait till Jan to see what Apple announces. Apparently there's going to be a major product announcement of the new Intel powered Macs then, perhaps even new notebooks.

That's unless you want to buy yourself a Mac for X'mas.

The last PC user I met who thought like you (and he bought the baddest iMac) had to constantly call people up to find out how to do things on the iMac. He kept going back to using his Wintel laptop :bsmilie: (I am not jesting but I guess if you give yourself enough time, you'll switch over quite happily)

I worked for Apple for a brief period of time and I started to realise the amazing stuff that Apple computers can do. Im not advertising for them or what, but I have never tried an Apple computer before till I started working for them. And I realised how good it is to process photos and stuff using an Apple. You should go down to the store and try it yourself, give yourself a 'feel' of it.

I agree with what kahheng said about 'giving yourself enough time, you'll switch over quite happily'. It takes time to switch from Windows to Mac.

I've both mac and pc. I don't mind a G5, but I would opt for a PowerMac G5 :)

espn said:
I've both mac and pc. I don't mind a G5, but I would opt for a PowerMac G5 :)

The Dual PowerMacs are much better machines than the IMac G5 'slabs'. Unfortunatly they have a price to match.
I really don't like the IMac G5, they don't feel fast at all and I think their thermal design is a little suspect. There is some very clever air flow inside it, but a years worth of dust will 'fix' it.

I don't know why they didn't keep the 'I-Stalk' design - that one I liked - good cooling and a very versitle screen mounting. The 'slab' design isn't any where near as adjustable.

I'm looking at the Quad G5s :lovegrin:

matthew said:
I don't know why they didn't keep the 'I-Stalk' design - that one I liked - good cooling and a very versitle screen mounting. The 'slab' design isn't any where near as adjustable.

I liked that one too....:bheart:

Once you try apple, u never want to go back to PC ;)

I own a Mac too but after sales service sucks......if your computer gives you problem. So far, 5 of my friends who are graphic designers have problems with their PowerPC G5.

One of my friends brought it to Apple to repair and when he got it back, there was something moving inside. On the spot they open up and found the graphics fell off. Another separate incident, one of the diod from the graphics card broke and fell off.

Another incident, after sending to apple for repair because of logic board problem. My friend use it for 3 days, the logic board failed again. Change again and again......

Not I that think apple is bad but the after sales service centre is horrible. I am using a PC and a iBook G4 and so far, so good.

Their knowledge is poor too.

well PCs are the best mix of stuff if you like games .. but if its mostly design work Mac is better .. and cos one mac is the same as the other.. i suspect color calibration is so much easier as well..
but i really hate mac's convoluted interface..
u have to click so many things jus to get to the stuff that you want..
the GUI is slick but its hard to find out wat you want without spending some time ..
never tried linux on macs before .. but linux and windows on PC is a good mix allowing you to experiment with alot of free programs out there..

I'm a happy camper who came over after Windows and Linux, and I love it here. :)

For more happy stories (and the occasional sob story), the mac users forum should have it. (esp.under switcher's den, where you can see how people acclimatise to it)

www.macusersg.org/forums

using an IMAC also had logic problems. Quite unreliable IMAC G5.

Anyway, if you want to get, I think you should wait for the release of Ilife 06 b4 buying. Apple usually release software updates early in the year.

if you go for the top of the line 20" iMac G5, i reckon you'll have little gripes. firewire for your camcorder, plug & play USB for your camera, along with a large capacity drive, it's pretty much everything you need within a monitor. reduces the amount of cable clutter on your desk. i'm pretty happy with mine. it's highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.