Italy Trip

Eijnaix

Jan 5, 2009
Is Italy a safe place to travel in with expensive camera ?

Heard there's quite alot of robbery case in italy....i'm kinda worry that someone will just snatch and run my tripod and camera while i'm taking some potrait shot with my wife ?

Anyone knows if travel insurance cover such claims ? :)

Bro, u might have got a wrong impression regarding Italy. I m not sure how many robbery case there are in a day, but when i was there in Feb2010 on a 2 weeks self-planned trip. i certainly don't felt threatened.

Pick-pockets are a common threat in crowded tourist spots not only in Italy but many European cities.

Rome is one notorious pick-pocket active city, but we have to take care of our belongings
and take precaution in safe-keeping our money.

I did not have any bad experience at all in my 2 weeks there :D

Another thing to watch out is con-men who offer to take photo for u and yr partner, they will ask u for $ after that.
Other travellers who offer to help take yr photos are alright, u can identify them from the Gypsies.

Hope you have a good trip cos Italy is really beautiful.

U can pm me if u need more info ;)

Italy used to have rep for being unsafe in the 80s and 90s, but I think it has changed a lot.

Sure, there are still pickpockets etc, so you have to observe the usual precautions eg. avoid lonely places, keep a lookout esp in crowded places, wallet in front pocket, look out for gypsies (although I didn't see the kids this time, but there were the moms with the babies which we avoided) etc. Also, keep a lookout for your things in Rome's Termini and on board the trains. But there is visible police presence in tourist spots like Spanish Steps etc and if you are careful, it should be ok to bring DSLR.

I was there in June, almost every other tourist has a DSLR and there is no shortage of expensive ones like 5D, 1DS, D700, D3 etc. Lots of white C lenses and Golden ring N lenses. Moreover, many just sling their equpt around their shoulder, grip in their hands, don't even use camera bags etc.

So I think if you are careful, you should have no problems. As last poster said, its really beautiful esp in Spring and Autumn. Hope you have a great trip and gets lots of nice pics.

Do not worry, generally it is quite safe. But just be careful in a crowded place. And if you travel night train, keep your belonging close to you while you sleep.

Enjoy your vacation.

Curious.. I'm planning for my trip heading to Italy but will like to travel up to Swiss to take Alps.. Was wondering if anyone can advise me where in Swiss is the best place to make a stopover.

Generally safe in terms of violence.. But for petty theft like pick-pocketing and snatching esp in "ROME", you'd better be very careful or you could end up like me.. I lost one of my bag in roma tiburtina station to snatch thief..:angry: Others like florence or venice should be fine..

hmm so it is unsafe to place my camera + tripod and shoot portrait in rome?

just need to be vigilant and you'll be fine.

my friend almost had his camera snatched on the metro in paris.

keep cameras out of sight and in your bags in crowded places (trains, buses) and late at night. apart from that, just take the normal precautions at the tourist spots and u'll be fine!

europe is beautiful, take many pictures! :)

Italy is safe. Just watch the train rides

i just got home from italy and spain with a lady friend..both drag our backpack and trolley everywhere :)

dun worry, just make sure your bags are close to u so they cant pickpocket them. Stay in the brightly lit streets where all tourists and locals are.. the main cities are very safe.

even the africa peddlers (illegal bags etc) wun bother u as they are interested in selling their wares..

train rides from cities to cities are very prompt, 11am means they leaves at 11am, they dun wait. remember to validate the ticket, ie stick ticket into the machine to stamp u used it liao.
u can buy tickets at the train station best is 2 days prior to travel date.

need help or map, let me know, i can lend u... i kapo some back :lovegrin:

among 10 tourists, 6 carried dslr and big lens..

i saw d700, d3x, big lens, mark 7D and every tourist on the street at least has a camera in their hands ! bring enough memory cards and batteries, prices are very ex there..:sweat:

Last edited:
at the touristy area, like colessum, vatican city, venice, pisa.. POLICIA IS EVERYWHERE.

even in spain, at the orchard like area, every 100m there are plenty policemen and cars :sweatsm:

I have friends who got snatched handbag when train door is closing, picked pocket by gypsy kids and passport and laptop stolen from car boot. Of course they take partial blame for not being vigilant. My first time there, I was not that vigilant so we almost got snatched once while on another occasion some one tried to open my car rear door where all my camera stuff and passport was there. Lucky the door was locked.

My recent trip to Rome & Sicily with 1-series & lenses and tripod, laptop, nothing unpleasant happen. Partly because we were very very careful all the time. I would say that there are many opportunist out there, if u are not careful, if u go to wrong area u will pay the price.

i always had my backpack carefully wrapped at my sides (my arms literally wrapped around it) and the zips locked in key chain locks...

bring essential money out and leave the rest in the hotel safe ...:D

i always had my backpack carefully wrapped at my sides (my arms literally wrapped around it) and the zips locked in key chain locks...

bring essential money out and leave the rest in the hotel safe ...:D

Hahaha, Lotus, I'm sure you are much slimmer now!!! ;p

maybe this might help for those who goes to rome 1st time..

Reach airport, wait for luggage at conveyer belt. Since trolley needs 1euro, so i carry my backpack all the way..

Out of immigrant, there are signs showing the direction to the train point. turn right and follow it.. about 20 metres, (if u notice no more signage), there is one escalator down to the basement.. we can hardly see it).

there u will walk to the train point.. it's pretty confusing cos there is a train counter, a convenience store who sell food and cigis (oso sell train ticket) and a few automaticated ticket machines which we have no clue how to use (in italian).

We ask around and follow to q like the tourists. Bought tickets at euro14. Go to the tracks (there are 3 of them) and just wait..

There are 2 types, One is the Leonardo Express (red and green train) which is the correct one to go Rome. Another one is the white and blue train (they said it's city train) dun take that!. We just stood there and wait and see what people do, we follow..:bsmilie:

here's the pictures for easy reference :)

Buy tickets.
1.jpg

Remember to validate your ticket... ie..punch the ticket indicated that u have used this ticket for this train ride. Each train ticket can be held for a while if u dun use it immediately.. btw, the yellow machine, 80% of them not working one de....we hear frustrated italian cursing at them under their breath!
2.jpg

then wait and wait..
3.jpg

after 1/2hr train finally arrived..
4.jpg

No difference, ALL PUSH TOWARDS TO THE DOORS...and squeeze hah..!!! and yes, the men dun give a damn, neither will they give way to old ladies.!!!

5.jpg

found nice and comfy seats ..next to the baggage area.
6.jpg

lookout for your stuff as people walk in and out... 1/2 safe 1/2 unsafe i would say..
7.jpg

and then..
people kept staring at us (me and my lady friend) and the 2 hkg ladies opposite us.. we are the only 4 non-ang-moh among them...
8.jpg

or was i wearing the nat geo (logo) jacket, they got nervous? hahhaa..

hope these help...

Last edited: