IT shows, PC shows, Megatex etc

only after seeing the price at Megatex.. haha.. I understand your view, its common and I admit I will have this virus haunting me every now and then.. I have a few contacts, so maybe they can spare some lens for occasional use. :)

Hope your virus don't go wild like in this case....It's kinda severe IMO..

btw, I doubt many people are willing to lend you those expensive lens(esp Canon "L" equivalent for Nikon) (unless is really close friends/relatives).

Last edited:

btw, I doubt many people are willing to lend you those expensive lens(esp those Nikon "ED" lens or Canon "L" equivalent) (unless is really close friends/relatives).

Nikon "ED" lens? That's just an optical element. Even the kit lens has it.

btw, I doubt many people are willing to lend you those expensive lens(esp Canon "L" equivalent for Nikon) (unless is really close friends/relatives).

Lol that was the case I was looking up yesterday.. he must have a serious reserve to get that set up in just a month..

Yup I do have relatives and friends in this field so they could help me at some point of my journey.

Just left one more day to present the 'outstanding' findings at Megatex to my Dad haha..

if the lens are borrowable, make sure is same brand hor...dun later buy liao then noticed relatives using other brand :p

Just to share my experience, last year I brought a D3000 kit at Megatex for just $600, w/o any gifts, They mentioned only about 10 sets on sale each day, so guess I was lucky. Sometimes they do have very low prices to clear stock & the only other good thing is that they do accept credit cards w/o having to top up unlike other shops who prices are cash.
For IT show, well too many people around & most at RRP with gifts which may or may not be useful.

IT show arn't that bad, if you are starting off, freebie such as dry cabinet and camera bags are useful as you will need them. I have a friend who buy handphone and gotten a free 3 in 1 printer, he then sold the printer for 150. The idea is that he gotten 150 off from his new handphone.
Anyway, regardless of how reputated the shop is, it is always good to bring a friend (must have experience in the field) if you are a newbie.

I do agree that shows are good for starters who have no equipments, it has essentially the stuffs needed to do simple and decent photography. I am considering would the stuffs provided in the show be an overlapping need. I have the stuffs required to start off already from my purchase last year, so its no point getting it in the show if the freebies are going to be the same thing right? Dry cabinet would be my magnet to check out the megatex since I am currently only own a simple dry box.

Credit card matters more to my dad than me. I know there are rebates to be claimed using credit card transaction, which is probably why he would prefer the deal at megatex.

Some stores don't charge extra for credit cards. Gives more discount when pay by cash. You should check that out too.

Some stores don't charge extra for credit cards. Gives more discount when pay by cash. You should check that out too.

Mustaffa maybe, rest like CP. MS, Alan all quote cash sales

Credit card matters more to my dad than me. I know there are rebates to be claimed using credit card transaction, which is probably why he would prefer the deal at megatex.

Since he is paying and like credit cards. Go along with him:angel:
Wish I have a dad like this :angel:

yukithesnowman said:
Just a testing of water, would newbies ( or maybe experienced ones ) choose to purchase their DSLRs from IT Shows, PC Shows or even Megatex?

What would be their advantages over more well-established shops like CP, TK, MS?

As well as their disadvantages?

Before I joined this forum I would've been utterly convinced buying from PC shows were the best thing. No matter how much homework done. Lucky me. :)

...Now I'm in therapy. Hopefully one day I will be cured of this virus. :D

Last edited:

Get him to buy using a POSB/DSB card on Sat.
Got 3% rebate at certain stores.

...Now I'm in therapy. Hopefully one day I will be cured of this virus. :D

As said by many, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!! lol...

*When you look at your savings + retirement plan, probably that will hold your virus back by abit....but when you strike a 1m lottery, ur BBB will swallow you..*

Some items from TKFoto are not subjected to extra charges if you pay by credit card. FYI
I bought my Sirui Ballhead & SB-700 from them without paying extra.

Photography requires patience. Not only in taking but learning and buying. No one can run before they could crawl. I know people hurry hurry buy the most expensive gear their father can buy (D3) and later hurry hurry sell away as their interest does not hold them.
You have waited many monthS to change. What is a few days... Best yet, you can do a mok buy by shopping around to check for the price and free gifts. At least you can use that as a reference for your dad on Friday. Good Luck.

that why if my friends ask me to intro them dslr camera, especially those coming from compact camera, I also tell them to get a 2nd hand entry level and test water for 6 months first, then sell away (normally can sell off near cost)

By then they will know whether DSLR suit them and they will have an idea what lens to get.

Agreed. Better to test test first before buying. A person I remembered walked into a camera store to try. After half an hour of trying he said it was too complicated and got a P&S instead.

I have the cash at hand, just that i dun think i will be doing the transactions there. Probably a Good Friday afternoon would be a good time to get it at CP or TK :)

yukithesnowman said:
I have the cash at hand, just that i dun think i will be doing the transactions there. Probably a Good Friday afternoon would be a good time to get it at CP or TK :)

For CP get a quote online first. Usually they will quote cheaper. :) learnt it from experience just last week. Lol