IT shows, PC shows, Megatex etc

Jan 20, 2011
Singapore
Just a testing of water, would newbies ( or maybe experienced ones ) choose to purchase their DSLRs from IT Shows, PC Shows or even Megatex?

What would be their advantages over more well-established shops like CP, TK, MS?

As well as their disadvantages?

Newbies who don't do homework yes, for more experienced people no.

Advantage: you lose weight by sweating buckets squeezing with other people at the fair.

Disadvantages: You pay more for the gears you want to buy and end up with loads of freebies that you don't need.

Generally speaking, going IT fair to "molest" camera is a good move. If you know the market price for the items that you wanted, you will eventually find out that you are "forced" to "buy" freebies, that you may or may not need, from the IT show.
To buy a camera, head over to funan, SLS or Peninsular.
When buying, bring a knowledgale friend to fend/shield you off any carrot chopping shop sellers from:
1. buying overpriced items
2. buying unnecessary items
3. throwing you off from what items you initially wanted to buy and buy another instead (very unlikely but you never know)

To buy a camera, head over to funan, SLS or Peninsular.

Dangerous advice. I would specifically refer to our list of recommended shops instead of such a blanket statement.

Funan has lots of reputable shops, as for SLS and penisula... Not much.

Sorry, I was actually only referring to orient photo and Alan photo in sls, and Cathay photo in peninsular. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Funan center just go to the main four shops.

Cowseye said:
Sorry, I was actually only referring to orient photo and Alan photo in sls, and Cathay photo in peninsular. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Funan center just go to the main four shops.

Alan photo is kind of hit and miss. A few too many cases of chopping in the past for me to consider it "reputable"

Funan has lots of reputable shops, as for SLS and penisula... Not much.

But Funan has also other shops who made their repeated appearance in postings in Consumer Corner. Definitely not in the category 'recommended shop'...

Hi all,

I made this thread to have a clearer picture of the differences between buying at the fair and buying at the recommended shops.

So far, I have made enquiries with TK and CP for D7000 and it was a bout $1910-$1920. Whereas, the courts megatex coming up is going to be about $2299 ($21xx Min), which is clearly a big difference in price.

I did refer to the D7000 thread at equipment discussion and saw the same issue being addressed. At this point, it makes me wonder was my previous deal last year at Courts end year megatex worth the price.

This is what I bought last year Dec at the price $980.

Sony A33L Kit (sold off already)
2x 8gb Memory stick
Gosh! Tripod and Holster Bag
3x $10 Cold storage vouchers.

Could any kind person analyse the set that I bought and determine was it a better deal then? This may give me more/less reason to purchase from the coming Megatex.

My dad is convinced that the courts fair would give a much better deal than those in recommended shops. However, as seen in other threads, some items are quite redundant as their value isn't supportive of its price and user's needs at times. If so, what goodies would be good to bargain for? I have the Gosh! Tripod and Bag, a normal Dry box and Cleaning kit.

** Note : trying to prove a point here to my dad ;p **

Hi all,

I made this thread to have a clearer picture of the differences between buying at the fair and buying at the recommended shops.

So far, I have made enquiries with TK and CP for D7000 and it was a bout $1910-$1920. Whereas, the courts megatex coming up is going to be about $2299 ($21xx Min), which is clearly a big difference in price.

I did refer to the D7000 thread at equipment discussion and saw the same issue being addressed. At this point, it makes me wonder was my previous deal last year at Courts end year megatex worth the price.

This is what I bought last year Dec at the price $980.

Sony A33L Kit (sold off already)
2x 8gb Memory stick
Gosh! Tripod and Holster Bag
3x $10 Cold storage vouchers.

Could any kind person analyse the set that I bought and determine was it a better deal then? This may give me more/less reason to purchase from the coming Megatex.

My dad is convinced that the courts fair would give a much better deal than those in recommended shops. However, as seen in other threads, some items are quite redundant as their value isn't supportive of its price and user's needs at times. If so, what goodies would be good to bargain for? I have the Gosh! Tripod and Bag, a normal Dry box and Cleaning kit.

i believe you've already proven your own point by calling up the dealers and asking them. Tradeshows always "give a better deal" because of the extra freebies (mostly worthless). but even if the price is low, beware of dealers who try to throw in sweet deals e.g. 3 filters for $20 or such. most of the time, they're quite useless. so even with a lower price at the tradeshow, now you know that dealers like CP and TK Foto have better offers.

anyway. what happened last year is last year's business. move on now.

I bought a Canon 600D (body only) for 1199 during the March IT Show. Free gift got a digi cabi dry cabinet about 100 outside, one lens book, one crumpler bag, canon tripod and one travel pack. Using most of the free gifts except the travel pack which is white color which I don't like. The main buying impulse come from the crumpler bag and dry cabinet haha... Think the deal quite ok at that time.

Funan/SLS body only price + dry cabi price = around 1199 maybe?

First DSLR so considered noobie... actually should have bought the 60D when think back, free gifts more worth and more balance with heavy lens.

One thing buying from IT Show, the sales person like don't really know the stuff (at least for the guy who show me the 600D, seems like don't care one), and a lot of people want to try the camera, so very little time to try it out. IT show = know the thing you want well, buy and just go. Went to Funan John 316/TK Photo last week with friend for his new cam, service much more better.

And also a difference in service / warranty. Courts & co tend to bundle in their insurance to cover all sort of clumsiness of the users. The other shops don't offer such package, they just sell cameras and expect the owner to be careful. Decide what you need. But then again, nothing's changing faster than prices of consumer electronics. No point pondering about it. Never check prices again after the deal is done. Even the best promotion / special price of today is expensive when compared to the prices of tomorrow.

I know that it was last year price in concern, but I was wondering was the price then differing a lot between the one at the show and at the camera dealers at funan. I am looking at the similarity in the trends to come if I were to purchase it at Megatex again.

As for the freebies, I am locking on the dry cabinet or probably a 50mm nikon lens. Would this 2 qualify as a good catch? I have a dry box, not the cabinet and I am aware that the cabinet is a good investment. Secondly, I am into portraits category, so the 50mm would be a good catch as well.

another thing to enquire, Megatex < IT/PC show or Vice Versa? If IT/PC show, I may not be able to make it and if Megatex isnt a popular choice to purchase, then its better to just head to TK/ CP to close deal there right?

another thing to enquire, Megatex < IT/PC show or Vice Versa? If IT/PC show, I may not be able to make it and if Megatex isnt a popular choice to purchase, then its better to just head to TK/ CP to close deal there right?

if you know what you want, IT/PC show is the best. Even you are not free to go there, you can ask your friend to get for you.

Of course, do make sure you do your research and play around with it at other places.:)

Is your dad a seasoned photographer or a supporter of certain organization? If no, I think the advice from the seasoned CSers here is much more considerable.

Just my 2 cents.

Nope, he isnt a photographer. Its a general statement to electronic products. I know that it is wrong to assume this mentality since this issue came to light while reading the forums. I just need to show know the differences between from the fairs and from the shops from seasoned people here. At least I can show some credibility and rather presenting to him my findings with weighted support.

Last edited:
I can guess it can be due to the negative advertisement on news when media X says that someone is ripped of buying Y product at Z building/place.

It doesn't make any sense to buy at the IT show or megatex. You are paying for the freebies that you cannot choose. Many had warned yet even many more refuse to believe. Facts and figures written and still could turn a blind eye thinking that it's good or good enough for newbie.

Nope, he isnt a photographer. Its a general statement to electronic products. I know that it is wrong to assume this mentality since this issue came to light while reading the forums. I just need to show know the differences between from the fairs and from the shops from seasoned people here. At least I can show some credibility and rather presenting to him my findings with weighted support.

It's very very very rare that fairs will give a better deal. And usually, the shops will try to match that deal while still giving the shop vs. rrp discount.