IT show VS retailer

songcheong

Jul 27, 2010
hi all, im new here.

going to having a canon 550D.

IT show will be hold on early September, it is worth to wait till Sept or go for retailer now?

pls advice....
thanks.

Well, you dont get cheaper prices during the IT show, but you do get a lot of other accessories such as tripod and what not.

If you're in no rush, I'd suggest you wait for the IT show.

i dont think you get $$$ cheaper deal in IT show....... this is a good chance to give some business to an honest good reputation retailer and build rapport

As what the others have mentioned before, the only thing that offer is the freebies which are mostly not so useful (especially the tripod) and retailer price is much cheaper than in IT show. Try to compare the prices shown in price guide and their price then you judge.

hi all, im new here.

IT show will be hold on early September, it is worth to wait till Sept or go for retailer now?

pls advice....
thanks.

Every time there's IT show, PC show, Comex, etc, these same questions come up. All you had to do was search for "IT show".

Essentially, NO. You will pay full RRP and get a bunch of cheap useless extras. It's is VERY rare to get good freebies - sometimes it's a dry cabinet, or it's an LCD pictureframe or printer. But are the freebies worth more than the discount buying at our recommended shops? Rarely.

Every time there's IT show, PC show, Comex, etc, these same questions come up. All you had to do was search for "IT show".

Essentially, NO. You will pay full RRP and get a bunch of cheap useless extras. It's is VERY rare to get good freebies - sometimes it's a dry cabinet, or it's an LCD pictureframe or printer. But are the freebies worth more than the discount buying at our recommended shops? Rarely.

2ND TO THIS!!! HIGHLY!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

In the last PC show they even give a DVD player when buying a camera; a compact P&S camera actually. :bsmilie:

:thumbsup: Let's make that sticky somewhere. It's an IT Show (hence the name). On top of the RRP comes the transport, traffic jam, squeezing in the crowd, noise ... just went to SLR Rev yesterday helping a fried to get a Pentax K-x for him. Quiet, friendly talk with the guys there, plenty of time and space to try the camera. Priceless. Only at the ground floor they were squeezing for the launch of some computer game :bsmilie:

:thumbsup: Let's make that sticky somewhere. It's an IT Show (hence the name). On top of the RRP comes the transport, traffic jam, squeezing in the crowd, noise ... just went to SLR Rev yesterday helping a fried to get a Pentax K-x for him. Quiet, friendly talk with the guys there, plenty of time and space to try the camera. Priceless. Only at the ground floor they were squeezing for the launch of some computer game :bsmilie:

checked retailer last week, so far they can offer with the price which same as other retailer shop with the freebies...bag, tripod, 2pc 8G memory card and etc...

checked retailer last week, so far they can offer with the price which same as other retailer shop with the freebies...bag, tripod, 2pc 8G memory card and etc...

Of course retailers will have same price as other retailers. Why wouldn't they? But the PC show ones are usually RRP.

But you have the chance to only take the camera without any of these freebies. Nobody forces the flimsy tripod down your throat. Get the one that you need / want / can afford at a later time. On PC / IT shows it "take it or leave it" - all inclusive. And looking at some freebies like filters I wouldn't want to have them even for free.

Hi, They have to bring those goods to IT show, engaged part-timers and brought back those unsold goods, spent extra money on rental and time, etc, so they couldn't afford to give discounts compared to those who preferred to stay away.

Hi, They have to bring those goods to IT show, engaged part-timers and brought back those unsold goods, spent extra money on rental and time, etc, so they couldn't afford to give discounts compared to those who preferred to stay away.

hi, thanks for the advice...

hi all, im new here.

pls advice....
thanks.

Go to SLS Alan Photo.
For me, I asked for the prices for friends on various models, their prices are always lower then IT Shows/PC Show etc.

But at IT show may have Ext. HDD as free gift. (I saw it once, offered by a company)

i think this shld be a sticky post or smth cos this is a qn that will cross any newbie's mind (including mine once upon a time)

to put it in simple terms... it depends on what ur looking for (and luck). If u hate the basic canon eos bag, dun mind a cheap tripod, craving for an external HDD then i think u shld wait for the ITshow. Otherwise juz buy from those shops at funan and peninsula. i did the math b4... price diff can be from a gain to a loss to no gain no loss since u can get 5 MDH and external HDD at varying prices..

oh and i say its luck too cos sometimes they give worse gifts like external HD player which to most of us is useless and cannot command a high price when trying to sell away

Last edited:
i think this shld be a sticky post or smth cos this is a qn that will cross any newbie's mind (including mine once upon a time)

to put it in simple terms... it depends on what ur looking for (and luck). If u hate the basic canon eos bag, dun mind a cheap tripod, craving for an external HDD then i think u shld wait for the ITshow. Otherwise juz buy from those shops at funan and peninsula. i did the math b4... price diff can be from a gain to a loss to no gain no loss since u can get 5 MDH and external HDD at varying prices..

oh and i say its luck too cos sometimes they give worse gifts like external HD player which to most of us is useless and cannot command a high price when trying to sell away

lolx.. Overall as wad killerslayer92 has mentioned. If you are more interested in getting all the free gifts in the world then go ahead and purchase at the IT fair. To be frank IT fair will never give cheaper rate cause they are giving away "free gifts" that most of us think that its really free when in actually fact, they have included part of the cost together in it. Many of us tend to selectively see words that we want to see but fails to think deep enough.

Also like what some of them have mentioned, IT Fair is the place where those shop not from black market will be there so chances of your item is fake is rare due to the fact that they are been screened by the organizer before they are allowed to setup stall there and sell the product. Most of them will also tie down with their distributor.
E.g. Challenger may tie down a deal with Nikon, Canon all these to help them sell their product in return for some gain.

SLS, Funan IT Mall all these if you like to purchase your item there. Best is to have somebody who has knowledge of the place and the item you are planning to purchase. In this way, the shop salesperson those who are hungry to hack you, will not be able to as you have somebody who knows the market price plus the product specs etc.

Hopes this help TS clear some of your doubts.

Does the priviledge purchase program apply at the IT fair as well? I mean buying from the Canon booth itself instead of other retailers (or is the booth managed by some retailer?)

IT fair is only for uncles and aunties who go see see and then kana conned into buying something that they don't need..

try John 3:16 at Funan.. or MS color at AMK hub.. they have really good service and reasonable prices.. they take the time to explain and oso to guide you!

especially since you are new to the camera...

IT fair.. go there can see see look look.. atmosphere also exciting really, but beware.. know how to counter the art of persuasion ;)