it just wouldnt snap..... =..(

Status
Not open for further replies.

britez

Nov 7, 2009
ok./... pls forgive me if i sound stupid....... i'm a newbie....

i set off today with my SLR (a minolta dyna 505si, just got frm a fellow clubsnapper) and tripod in tow...thinking of catching some nice scenery...

i started off at abt 5plus at teban garden when it was still bright... i used only the programmed mode when i was there... so everything was fine.. went for dinner then headed to marina barrage...

but when i was at marina barrage... i used the other modes A/S/P/M to try and see the different effects... most of the time... the shutter just wun snap!!!

when i was in S mode... i can snap frm 1sec to 15sec only...

when i was in A mode.... all my diff settings wun snap...

when i was in M mode... even if i set the same settings as S mode... taking the same scene... it just wun snap too..... the metering will show either under or over exposed...

so... does it mean that in any mode.... it wun snap if the metering shows that its under/over exposed?????

i thot that at least in M mode.... i can anyhow put settings to try to see the effects...

or is my camera spoil???

pls help help.... thanks .... =)

ok./... pls forgive me if i sound stupid....... i'm a newbie....

i set off today with my SLR (a minolta dyna 505si, just got frm a fellow clubsnapper) and tripod in tow...thinking of catching some nice scenery...

i started off at abt 5plus at teban garden when it was still bright... i used only the programmed mode when i was there... so everything was fine.. went for dinner then headed to marina barrage...

but when i was at marina barrage... i used the other modes A/S/P/M to try and see the different effects... most of the time... the shutter just wun snap!!!

when i was in S mode... i can snap frm 1sec to 15sec only...

when i was in A mode.... all my diff settings wun snap...

when i was in M mode... even if i set the same settings as S mode... taking the same scene... it just wun snap too..... the metering will show either under or over exposed...

so... does it mean that in any mode.... it wun snap if the metering shows that its under/over exposed?????

i thot that at least in M mode.... i can anyhow put settings to try to see the effects...

or is my camera spoil???

pls help help.... thanks .... =)

Won't snap; meaning when u press down the shutter button, no photo is taken?

No.1: Is the focus already locked, or is the lens still hunting for focus?
No. 2: Overexposure/underexposure won't lock your cam, unless it's spoilt for some reason. Make sure the focus is locked, not hunting.
No. 3: When u're in S mode (i assume thats shutter priority mode), and it there's not enough light, the lens will open up to it's widest aperture, and based on that and the ISO, the cam will choose the appropriate shutter speed. So due to the lack of light, I'm guessing that the min. length the shutter has to stay open is 1 sec.

Won't snap; meaning when u press down the shutter button, no photo is taken?

No.1: Is the focus already locked, or is the lens still hunting for focus?
No. 2: Overexposure/underexposure won't lock your cam, unless it's spoilt for some reason. Make sure the focus is locked, not hunting.
No. 3: When u're in S mode (i assume thats shutter priority mode), and it there's not enough light, the lens will open up to it's widest aperture, and based on that and the ISO, the cam will choose the appropriate shutter speed. So due to the lack of light, I'm guessing that the min. length the shutter has to stay open is 1 sec.

thanks for ur response!!!

No. 1 -- i'm not sure if it was hunting for focus... will try again tml...

No.3 --- u're right that i'm in shutter priority... i also get wat u mean... but wat i mean was... i can take picture on 1sec, to 15 sec.... but i cant get shots for exposures longer then that like 20sec and 30secs... even my bulb mode doesnt work...

** does it mean that even when my aperture is opened to the max, itz still not bright enuff???

thanks for ur response!!!

No. 1 -- i'm not sure if it was hunting for focus... will try again tml...

No.3 --- u're right that i'm in shutter priority... i also get wat u mean... but wat i mean was... i can take picture on 1sec, to 15 sec.... but i cant get shots for exposures longer then that like 20sec and 30secs... even my bulb mode doesnt work...

** does it mean that even when my aperture is opened to the max, itz still not bright enuff???

Ok, switch to bulb mode, and press the shutter button. Make sure the focus is locked. Make sure you hold down the button all the way (unless you have a shutter release cable lock it for you), it doesn't matter whether the photo is blurred, I just want to know whether you are able to take photos. Repeat it for a few times so you know whether it's an intermittent problem. Also, switch to aperture priority, and check whether the 20/30/bulb mode works. If the camera is unresponsive, then I can very much guess that the camera is spoilt.

To your '**' question, it all depends on the scene.
E.g. I take a photo in a dark room, my aperture is at f/2.8, iso is at 800, to get a correct exposure, the shutter curtain has to remain open for 1 second.
If I go to a brighter room, keep the aperture at 2.8 and iso at 800, to get a correct exposure, it will take for example, 1/30 sec.

Either way, it shouldn't affect you not being able to use the 20sec/30sec/bulb mode.

Last edited:
Ok, switch to bulb mode, and press the shutter button. Make sure the focus is locked. Make sure you hold down the button all the way (unless you have a shutter release cable lock it for you), it doesn't matter whether the photo is blurred, I just want to know whether you are able to take photos. Repeat it for a few times so you know whether it's an intermittent problem. Also, switch to aperture priority, and check whether the 20/30/bulb mode works. If the camera is unresponsive, then I can very much guess that the camera is spoilt.

To your '**' question, it all depends on the scene.
E.g. I take a photo in a dark room, my aperture is at f/2.8, iso is at 800, to get a correct exposure, the shutter curtain has to remain open for 1 second.
If I go to a brighter room, keep the aperture at 2.8 and iso at 800, to get a correct exposure, it will take for example, 1/30 sec.

Either way, it shouldn't affect you not being able to use the 20sec/30sec/bulb mode.

thanks dude... just did all you mentioned above today.... focus is working fine....

even M mode is also miraculously working fine today with over/under exposures meter readings...

weird... i think my camera doesnt like to go to marina barrage..... =X

Conclusion: newbie photographer with an unfamiliar 2nd hand camera - 自己嚇自己 ;p

Something similar happened to me before when I forgot to turn off the timer... try checking to make sure you are not in timer mode! Just my two cents worth!

thanks dude... just did all you mentioned above today.... focus is working fine....

even M mode is also miraculously working fine today with over/under exposures meter readings...

weird... i think my camera doesnt like to go to marina barrage..... =X
Sorry but it looks like your camera is a very strange camera.. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.