It is worth to scan negative/slide to tiff file in high resolutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOMUS

Jan 10, 2006
NOMU
I heard some publication will only publish high resolution images. So will it worth to scan and keep negative/image/slide for publication?

1. Can scanner possible to scan up to 80 mb, in a very high resolution, i heard RGB service did that, anyone know?

2. I believe DSLR are now able to achieve such high resolution. If it worth to print in photo and rescan into high resolution.

Any expert can enlighten me?

1. RGB Color is now Fotohub. Yes, they offer high-resolution scanning services, but not sure about the output size

2. In short, no. You can't make more information out of only so much. Fine-grain film (ISO100 and lower) intrinsically still contains more information than most DSLR sensors can resolve - you just need to digitize them properly.

Most films can be scanned and printed at 16x24 at maximum at 150dpi do it sould be able to handle a magazine sized print at 300dpi :)

Ah Pao said:
2. In short, no. You can't make more information out of only so much.
:thumbsup:

but lets not go into the debate of film over digital...will not be settled till the cows come home, have offspring, and the offsprings become hamburgers, etc... ;p just use whichever you prefer...

but it is a good idea to scan your negatives for archiving purposes as film stock does deteriorate with age. :)

Ah Pao said:
2. In short, no. You can't make more information out of only so much. Fine-grain film (ISO100 and lower) intrinsically still contains more information than most DSLR sensors can resolve - you just need to digitize them properly.

I believe if we use large format, then it will be much better, but will it better than DIGITAL?

1. 50mb is possible when u scan an 35mm film at approximately 4800dpi.

80mb will produce when u scan a 4x5 medium format film at approximately 3200 dpi in tiff format.

You can ask Kex for advice on drum scanning MF images.

kanni said:
1. 50mb is possible when u scan an 35mm film at approximately 4800dpi.

80mb will produce when u scan a 4x5 medium format film at approximately 3200 dpi in tiff format.

Another question: Can we have the same quality from DSLR as per Large Format Film? (Refer to CANON 350D,i.e. 8Mb per RAW vs Scanning of Large Format Film)?

At this moment, good 5x4 scans will still give better quality than the best 35mm or medium format digital captures...the new 39Mpixel digtal medium format backs come close to it though...of course, there are even larger format film cameras...

GOMUS said:
Another question: Can we have the same quality from DSLR as per Large Format Film? (Refer to CANON 350D,i.e. 8Mb per RAW vs Scanning of Large Format Film)?
No. Not likely at all. It has to do with the optical limits of the lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.