IT Fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

JinG14

Apr 7, 2010
HI Guys,
Since the IT Fair or show is around the corner, i would like to take a opportunity to change my desktop that is spoilt for the past few months. Any recommendation of processor / cpu and graphic card that can intro to me for photoshop / gaming? Budget mmm i think 1k for CPU/motherboard and graphic.

Honestly, u stand better chance in Sim Lim Square. 1k probably can get u a core i5 + motherboard + 4gb ram combo. On CPU graphic is good enough for generous purpose, if u find ur game lagging, plug in a graphic card from nvidia or amd, price from $100+ to $1000+.....do spare some of ur budget for a decent power supply and u are good to go :)

I will recommend to go 8gb ram, if the mobo can support it.

HI Guys,
Since the IT Fair or show is around the corner, i would like to take a opportunity to change my desktop that is spoilt for the past few months. Any recommendation of processor / cpu and graphic card that can intro to me for photoshop / gaming? Budget mmm i think 1k for CPU/motherboard and graphic.

Forget IT fair, total waste of time. You should just go to hardwarezone, look at the price guides, get a combo from Fuwell or Cybermind.

Yep, waste of time to go to the IT Fair just to buy all the PC parts. Limited choice and huge crowd. Might as well just pop down to SLS and shop around now.

Thanks . Yup I will probably go to sls on nxt week. Normally they will match the price . But my main concern is about the type of RAM and graphic card you guys used when processing photo . Right now I am using my free laptop running at i7 4 gb ram nvdia 4750 which is fine for me but it get a bit of laggy when I am using photoshop.

Thanks . Yup I will probably go to sls on nxt week. Normally they will match the price . But my main concern is about the type of RAM and graphic card you guys used when processing photo . Right now I am using my free laptop running at i7 4 gb ram nvdia 4750 which is fine for me but it get a bit of laggy when I am using photoshop.

I suspect it's your GPU that is lagging...(4750 = a mid series...) and i7 is a relatively powerful chip. Can't be very sure if it's your ram either, as it's dependant on the applications that are loaded when you are using photoshop.

I suspect it's your GPU that is lagging...(4750 = a mid series...) and i7 is a relatively powerful chip. Can't be very sure if it's your ram either, as it's dependant on the applications that are loaded when you are using photoshop.

He said it's laggy in PS... That would not really care at all about the GPU. The issue is that it's a laptop - these use mobile parts, which have much slower I/O. A desktop with 4GB or 8GB RAM will be significantly faster.

He said it's laggy in PS... That would not really care at all about the GPU. The issue is that it's a laptop - these use mobile parts, which have much slower I/O. A desktop with 4GB or 8GB RAM will be significantly faster.

hmm, not very sure myself, as I always thought that Photoshop uses GPU for rendering and other adjustments?

With that kind of spec still laggy in photoshop then probably due to harddisk drive....put in a SSD and your photoshop will fly if you believe me :D

hmm, not very sure myself, as I always thought that Photoshop uses GPU for rendering and other adjustments?

Nope, only for processing of some filters. Other than that it does not benefit from higher-end graphics cards.

For the TS, I'd say it's an overall system performance issue, from the bottleneck I/O on mobile motherboards to the ram, to the HDD, etc etc

Nope, only for processing of some filters. Other than that it does not benefit from higher-end graphics cards.

I see...thanks for the clarification...thou for my case in lagging is likely due to processor limitation (a c2d only), everytime can hear the fan work especially hard when I did some adjustments.

I see...thanks for the clarification...thou for my case in lagging is likely due to processor limitation (a c2d only), everytime can hear the fan work especially hard when I did some adjustments.

Yup! But realistically you'll want to speed up the whole I/O cycle, from harddrive to RAM to motherboard (C2D chips use the obsolete shared bus, unlike the AMD chips and the newer i5/i7 chips) and the CPU too.

Yup! But realistically you'll want to speed up the whole I/O cycle, from harddrive to RAM to motherboard (C2D chips use the obsolete shared bus, unlike the AMD chips and the newer i5/i7 chips) and the CPU too.

Not intending to upgrade unless the current one "pass on"...thou I know that i5/i7 have solid specs....but if my current on passes on, it will be an overhaul... mobo, cpu, ram, ssd...$$$$

I believe using SSD harddisk will be more useful than upgrading the graphic card for photoshop work.

Get the newer i5 or i7 chip, new motherboard, minimum 4gb ram or better, 8gb ram, and use SSD hdd for your OS plus another large capacity hdd for storage. For graphic card, any mid-range ones will do. 1k budget might be tight, but still possible if you get a budget motherboard with i5 chip

Big Kahuna said:
If u get more than 4gb ram, make sure u use 64bit os or u are wasting ur $

Relax, 4gb can still use 32bits system. On PAE featured operating system and hardware which is most modern system you find in the market nowadays, a 32bits system can utilize more than 4gb. Just that per process can't use more than 4gb. Actually it is less like approx. 3.5gb per process. Your OS will use like more than 1gb, so chances your each application uses more than 3gb is unlikely.

When people move to 64bits apps, they don't realize the application takes up more memory than the 32bits counterpart with very little advantages unless your application uses vast amount of memory like 100gb or even more? :)

But of course, the hype for 64bits is there, isn't it?

With that kind of spec still laggy in photoshop then probably due to harddisk drive....put in a SSD and your photoshop will fly if you believe me :D

just return back home.. actually my graphic cards is Nvidia GeForce GT540M.. got this laptop from singnet promotion during last year.. great bargain..
i am a noob in pc world .. so do you mind telling me what is SSD?

i am going to research more on computer and their parts.. really lost touch..

btw thanks you guys for all the advise...

just return back home.. actually my graphic cards is Nvidia GeForce GT540M.. got this laptop from singnet promotion during last year.. great bargain..
i am a noob in pc world .. so do you mind telling me what is SSD?

i am going to research more on computer and their parts.. really lost touch..

btw thanks you guys for all the advise...

SSD: Solid-state drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.