It always amazes me when...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtol19

Dec 13, 2008
...photographers somehow think that digital technology is superior. For example, people think a dry cabinet with a digital hygrometer is somehow more accurate and better than one with a non-digital hygrometer. And they'll pay more for the fomer!

The truth? The measuring instrument (ie the part that senses the air humidity) is a mechanical, analog device! There's some kind of circuit to convert the reading to digital, but the digital reading is only as accurate as the analog sensor to start with.

So why pay more for a digital dry cabinet when it costs more to purchase and operate (battery cost)? Your analog meter needs no power, and if calibrated, is just as accurate!

Beats me.

Same applies for many other things-- bathroom scales, thermometers, light meters, etc.

Digital costs more, eats batteries, and has no advantage-- yet people somehow think digital is superior.

So I presumed you used an analog computer to start this thread?

Those that takes up a whole room's space and uses vacuum tubes?

The truth? The measuring instrument (ie the part that senses the air humidity) is a mechanical, analog device! There's some kind of circuit to convert the reading to digital, but the digital reading is only as accurate as the analog sensor to start with.

Same applies for many other things-- bathroom scales, thermometers, light meters, etc.
I'm tempted to quote a certain hokkien phrase but alas, what you had said hold no weight at all. Electronic hygrometer and thermometer does actually utilise a capacitive or resistive sensor and silicon bandgap temperature sensor respectively which can be fabricated into an integrated circuit.

Last edited:
Are you flagging the dead-horse-film is superior than digital anal debate?

The purpose of your lecture? :think:

:bsmilie: give up

Dunno. I don't own a dehumidifier and I know (or I think I know) that my digital cameras are a LOT better than my film cameras :)

I'm tempted to quote a certain hokkien phrase but alas, what you had said hold no weight at all. Electronic hygrometer and thermometer does actually utilise a capacitive or resistive sensor and silicon bandgap temperature sensor respectively which can be fabricated into an integrated circuit.

If it's measuring a change in resistance or conductivity, it's an analog device. So what if you convert the analog measurement to a digital reading?

Last edited:
Are you flagging the dead-horse-film is superior than digital anal debate?

Maybe you need to read again. This is highlighting some people's misconception that eg a digital thermometer is more accurate than a non-digital thermometer.

For certain devices (eg quartz watches vs mechanical watches) yes. But certainly not for everything. Yet people are so easily misled....

I think that's quite a far stretch. Analog scales uses mechanical moving parts.

In engineering, we always try to reduce the number of moving parts because that's usually the part that fail 1st.

AF is still bullshit slow compared to the eye, TRASH TECHNOLOGY.

I think that's quite a far stretch. Analog scales uses mechanical moving parts.

In engineering, we always try to reduce the number of moving parts because that's usually the part that fail 1st.

How many moving parts does a mercury thermometer have? What about battery dependency of a digital thermometer, possibility of battery leak, etc.?

and the whole purpose/objective of this thread? IIRC, Digicab (digital hygrometer) is cheaper than Akarui (analog Hygrometer)?

I've always wanted one of those :D

I really feel that a digital thermometer is better as I can get the result faster. In fact, I also do not know how long I need to keep the mercury/alcohol thermometer in my mouth before I take it out to show my actual temperature. 5 mins?

(Borrowing words from the title).... It always amazes me when one of those climb out from their caves.....

i m more amazed when i saw them descending from the trees :bsmilie:

OT liao.

well, anal versus dig,
preference is up to individual.
as long as mission accomplished,
i for one don't care how.

today's superstitions is tomorrow's science,
someday, something will replace the digital god.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.